VCU (MD) vs. WesternU (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

putmynameinbold

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was very fortunate to receive acceptances to both VCU and WesternU and have been having a difficult time deciding between the two schools. I'm a CA native and my ultimate goal is to do primary care in the CA area. Below are my pro/con lists, I'd appreciate any help/advice anyone has to offer. Thanks!

VCU:
Pros:
• MD opens more doors
• Concurrent admission into the fmSTAT (family medicine scholar program) which offers an additional recommendation letter, priority FM rotation sites, and mentorship opportunities
• Amazing new facilities/sim lab
• Pass/fail
• One-on-one board prep help
• All the students I spoke with who moved from CA were genuinely very happy to be there

Cons:
• Away from family/support system
• Less CA matches than WesternU based on 2017 match list

Western:
Pros:
• About 40% of students matched into CA
• Close to family/support system
• Faculty member during my interview told me that COMP matches you with a faculty member who mentors/checks in on you
• Genuine appreciation for all the physicians I've shadowed who are Western alumni
• Learn OMM, which I think would be great to have in my toolbox as a future PCP
• Students I've met/know seem to have a great life balance

Cons:
• Based on students I've spoken with, they chose Western mainly for the location
• DO closes doors (but I'm not sure how applicable this is given I am very much interested in primary care)
• Potentially (probably) having to take both USMLE and COMLEX
• 20-30% of lectures are podcasted from COMP-NW

Based on COA from previous years, the cost for both schools is about even and the decision for me is moreso what would allow me the best shot of achieving my long term goals. Thanks in advance for your advice, SDN has been a great source of support throughout this crazy app process!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a reason why people should refrain from reading match lists.
1. You dont know if the people not matching into CA is indicative of the class members did not want to go to CA vs inability to match. If i am from VA and I go to VCU and I want to stay close to home CA is literally on the other side of the country.
2. You dont know how many people in Western wanted to match in CA and were unable to match into CA.

here is a hypothetical:
VCU Class 10 % from california and wants to match into california and 10% matches into california.
Western Class 90% california and wants to match into california and40% matches into california.

Would the above assessment change your mind?

Look at this list.
Our Residents
There are more MD's from east coast school than there are DO's from west coast schools on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
If there is even the smallest chance you may want to do academic medicine, IM subspecialty, or surgery in the future.. go to the MD school. If you honestly are 100% bought and sold on primary care I don't think it matters and you should go wherever you will be happiest.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All,

I was very fortunate to receive acceptances to both VCU and WesternU and have been having a difficult time deciding between the two schools. I'm a CA native and my ultimate goal is to do primary care in the CA area. Below are my pro/con lists, I'd appreciate any help/advice anyone has to offer. Thanks!

VCU:
Pros:
• MD opens more doors
• Concurrent admission into the fmSTAT (family medicine scholar program) which offers an additional recommendation letter, priority FM rotation sites, and mentorship opportunities
• Amazing new facilities/sim lab
• Pass/fail
• One-on-one board prep help
• All the students I spoke with who moved from CA were genuinely very happy to be there

Cons:
• Away from family/support system
• Less CA matches than WesternU based on 2017 match list

Western:
Pros:
• About 40% of students matched into CA
• Close to family/support system
• Faculty member during my interview told me that COMP matches you with a faculty member who mentors/checks in on you
• Genuine appreciation for all the physicians I've shadowed who are Western alumni
• Learn OMM, which I think would be great to have in my toolbox as a future PCP
• Students I've met/know seem to have a great life balance

Cons:
• Based on students I've spoken with, they chose Western mainly for the location
• DO closes doors (but I'm not sure how applicable this is given I am very much interested in primary care)
• Potentially (probably) having to take both USMLE and COMLEX
• 20-30% of lectures are podcasted from COMP-NW

Based on COA from previous years, the cost for both schools is about even and the decision for me is moreso what would allow me the best shot of achieving my long term goals. Thanks in advance for your advice, SDN has been a great source of support throughout this crazy app process!
MD

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
VCU is the way to go-- remember that you can do your elective rotations out in CA to really solidify that you want to come back to the state-- I know it's tough to leave the mothership(CA) but the reward in this instance outweighs the cost(distance from your family/support system).

Definitely VCU. I know we all love California, but in the long run, the place you lived for 4 years while in school will be relatively insignificant

1. You dont know if the people not matching into CA is indicative of the class members did not want to go to CA vs inability to match. If i am from VA and I go to VCU and I want to stay close to home CA is literally on the other side of the country.
2. You dont know how many people in Western wanted to match in CA and were unable to match into CA.

here is a hypothetical:
VCU Class 10 % from california and wants to match into california and 10% matches into california.
Western Class 90% california and wants to match into california and40% matches into california.

Look at this list.
Our Residents
There are more MD's from east coast school than there are DO's from west coast schools on here.

If there is even the smallest chance you may want to do academic medicine, IM subspecialty, or surgery in the future.. go to the MD school. If you honestly are 100% bought and sold on primary care I don't think it matters and you should go wherever you will be happiest.

VCU is the way to go-- remember that you can do your elective rotations out in CA to really solidify that you want to come back to the state-- I know it's tough to leave the mothership(CA) but the reward in this instance outweighs the cost(distance from your family/support system).

Definitely VCU. I know we all love California, but in the long run, the place you lived for 4 years while in school will be relatively insignificant

Thank you, everyone! This definitely reaffirmed my decision to choose VCU. I'm glad to know there's still hope in coming back to the motherland, lol :smuggrin:

Reactions: 1 users

here is a hypothetical:

Look at this list.
Our Residents

Did you choose that link bc of Milt McColl...bc holy crap time management wowwwwww

edit: obv not, but wow that was still extremely impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user