VCU students - anatomy lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks -- there's some discussion going on in the pre-allo thread about the anatomy lab at VCU:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3176149&postcount=594

Basically, none of us were shown the lab during the tour, and no one really has any info on what it's like. Not that it's incredibly important, but would anyone actually attending VCU comment on the gross lab there?

Members don't see this ad.

blee said:
Basically, none of us were shown the lab during the tour, and no one really has any info on what it's like. Not that it's incredibly important, but would anyone actually attending VCU comment on the gross lab there?

It's a lab alright. As labs go, it's pretty labby. Smells like formalin. Not overly spacious but not cramped, by any means. It's in Sanger, which was built in the 1950's, and reflects the juxtaposition of old and new. So there are anatomy texts from the 60's lying around, and ancient instructional materials on the dusty shelves, and.... computer terminals. They keep it secure, which makes it a little difficult to take tour groups. I never saw it before October 2001, when I was an M1.

As a place to receive instruction, it's totally adequate, but not the least bit flashy. It will certainly remind you of the thousands of med students who have gone before you in the past fifty years. I'd never had anatomy before, so it really kicked my arse, but the gross faculty were all tremendous. A couple have gone, but Sholley, Krieg, Simpson and Gudas are all great teachers. Can't comment on the new blood that has arrived in the meantime.