VCU update for March

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Csv321

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being the obsessive compulsive I am, I just checked VCU's status page. Here is what it says:

3/11/2005
The Admissions Committee has ceased to interview and we anticipate that all files will go through the committee at the next meeting on Monday, March 14,2005. We will be making the final round of offers sometime during the week of March 21st. After the offers are made, we will create the alternate list. Watch for further announcements about this part of the process.

There was this really long thread for VCU last year so I think we should create one for this year...post if you get in on the last set of offers, if you're wailisted, when you get off the waitlist, etc... Hopefully, it'll help people who are applying for next year.

It seems like a lot of people or everyone who posts here got in last year, especially the out of staters...someone even got in the week before school started. And just think, those are just people who post on here so I'm sure they accept a few more off the waitlist...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Csv, I'm pulling for all of us...Lubbdubb needs to get on this thread!

camisho said:
Hey Csv, I'm pulling for all of us...Lubbdubb needs to get on this thread!

Definitely...Lubbdubb, plattinum9, patel8, focus05...I forgot who else is counting on VCU.

VCU was my only interview which is awesome because all my family recently relocated there so it's definitely my first choice. I'm counting on them to save me from reapplying this June!

Members don't see this ad :)
i hope we all get some good news. good luck to all waiting!

definitely...i hope we all get in...we've been waiting this long...the funny thing is that the week of March 21st is the week of my spring break, so VCU will either make or break my spring vacation...anyways good luck to all...COME ON VCU!!!

VCU is awesome :thumbup:
Good luck to everyone :luck:
My birthday is the week of the 21st. I couldn't ask for a better present than an acceptance :hardy:

Heyy Guys....glad to see you guys are doing well. March 21st is right around the corner and I wish you guys all the best. As a VA resident, 3.5's/30, interview went really well, VCU was my top choice and I really thought I would get in. I recently spoke with admissions at VCU and was informed that it's not looking good for me. So I am redirecting my energy and hopes to another school where I still have a good chance. Good Luck on the 21st and remember, for out of staters, the waitlist moves really well. I'll keep up with you guys to see how it's going.

~Lubdubb

Sorry to hear about that LUBDUBB
best of luck to you with other schools :D

I'll probably be sweating it out on the VCU waitlist till the bitter end :mad:

LUBDUBB said:
Heyy Guys....glad to see you guys are doing well. March 21st is right around the corner and I wish you guys all the best. As a VA resident, 3.5's/30, interview went really well, VCU was my top choice and I really thought I would get in. I recently spoke with admissions at VCU and was informed that it's not looking good for me. So I am redirecting my energy and hopes to another school where I still have a good chance. Good Luck on the 21st and remember, for out of staters, the waitlist moves really well. I'll keep up with you guys to see how it's going.

~Lubdubb

LUBDUBB said:

~Lubdubb

If your interview went well and your numbers aren't bad, why in the world would they tell you your chances don't look good???

hi guys! so the countdown begins...

I think they are only giving out 30 or so offers - but I am remaining positive. I pray this all works out - I'm excited about it - but if it's not meant to be this year - it's ok!

I'm instate and orig. from Richmond :) so that could be fuuun.

and csv - you live in SD? I envy yoooooou - that is where I want to do residency -- ha !!!! i looooove it - im orig from cali

focus05 said:
hi guys! so the countdown begins...

I think they are only giving out 30 or so offers - but I am remaining positive. I pray this all works out - I'm excited about it - but if it's not meant to be this year - it's ok!

I'm instate and orig. from Richmond :) so that could be fuuun.

and csv - you live in SD? I envy yoooooou - that is where I want to do residency -- ha !!!! i looooove it - im orig from cali

Yeah...I'm in San Diego..was wearing skirts and shorts in January. California showed me no love in this process though which is fine because VCU has an awesome curriculum, great schedule, beautiful campus....CHEAP RENT!!!

LUBDUBB, did they tell you that your chances don't look good? How did you get that info? Or maybe they're setting you up for a nice surprise!

How are people finding out from admissions that "things are not looking good" ???

Can I assume that I can just call and find out?

By the way, just want to introduce myself...i'm brand new to these forums.

I'm a VA resident who has been sweating it out on HOLD since late October to VCU...and I'm dying to get in.

I've been accepted to a DO school already, and have applied to a few post bacc programs. So I have two back up plans already, but we all know what I really want....a nice STATUS CHANGE from VCU!!!

So yeah, you guys can count me in the pool of anxious VCU people.

- Vivek

Members don't see this ad :)
who else is nervous about monday? :scared: good luck!

I'm really nervous...but someone told me that they actually take half of their incoming class from the waiting list. Guess that's good news for us?

btw, i'm totally counting on the waiting list. There's no way in hell I'll be one of the 30 people accepted...but, miracles do happen!

patel8 said:
who else is nervous about monday? :scared: good luck!

Yeah, I'm hella nervous about monday....ahhhh...oh the agony...good luck to everyone...best of luck...

Aww..I guess I'm too slow. I wanted to be the first to update this page, wishing everyone one last relaxing weekend before our fates are decided...especially for those like me who only have VCU to count on.

I had all my midterms and papers this week so at least I won't be too bummed if I don't get in this last round of offers but my spring break is the week after next so this could make or break it.

Good luck all!

csv321, in case you cant tell, i'm counting solely on VCU too....hopefully we'll all be one of the lucky 30!

Ok..it's the week of the 21st...at least for East Coasters...

Someone post as soon as they get something! Good luck!

Hey guys, I just called the admissions office and they informed me that "She [heldberg] is working on them today."

So maybe this means we'll know tomorrow?

Good luck guys....the waiting is absolutely killing me, but I know in the end everything will work out for us!

Hey everyone, I just had to join this thread since I'm in the same boat with many of you. VCU is looking like it'll have been my only MD interview, so I'm banking on them coming through for me this week! I'm an out-of-stater though, so I will take some solace in the waiting list if I land there. Thanks vivek for giving the office a call this morning and updating us.

Good luck everyone...I hope we'll be in Richmond together in the fall!

hey all-
does anybody know whether the waitlist is also formulated the same time the offers are made? i just dont an email of a status change when i'm thinking its an acceptance if its just the waitlist. that would suck. anyway i'm sooo nervous. good luck to everyone we all deserve a little break!!

Ok...so I called and they said the alternate list is made at the same time and offers will be out Wednesday or Thursday. I also told them that I've been on hold since November and the guy on the phone said that I'll probably be considered an alternate.

I guess that makes sense. I was thinking about that last night and if you don't make the first set of acceptance cuts after your interview, you probably won't make the cuts afterwards because more people get placed on the list. Someone correct me if I'm wrong and have gotten accepted later on before being waitlisted.

Csv321 said:
Ok...so I called and they said the alternate list is made at the same time and offers will be out Wednesday or Thursday. I also told them that I've been on hold since November and the guy on the phone said that I'll probably be considered an alternate.

I guess that makes sense. I was thinking about that last night and if you don't make the first set of acceptance cuts after your interview, you probably won't make the cuts afterwards because more people get placed on the list. Someone correct me if I'm wrong and have gotten accepted later on before being waitlisted.

That makes a lot of sense Csv...thanks for calling. I'm 99% sure that I'll be waitlisted...I've been on hold since late October...but there's always that hope!

Yes, I totally agree with you in wanting to know if there's ANYONE OUT THERE that was interviewed, placed on hold, passed over in one or two acceptance rounds, but eventually accepted in another round. If there isn't, then things aren't looking good for us! But let's not lose hope!

Good luck all.

Thanks to everyone who called. Now we know not to neurotically check our status page until Wednesday!

man...i interviewed in September and have been in limbo ever since. i guess the good news is: if we havent been rejected yet, we'll make it to the alternate list. the bad news is: we'll be on the alternate list.

if there are any updates, please post ASAP.
my blood pressure is going crazy this week.

Csv - thanks for calling.....and yea i agree w/ your reasoning..i figure im headed for the alternate list too..i've been on hold since October 13th

femme - i feel your pain, i interviewed way back in september too, wish they would just tell us somehow to get over with it, it's been 6 months without hearing anything :(
are you in-state or out-of-state?

oh yea: good luck to everyone.... :luck:

I'm an out-of-stater (California)

I'm in state and am basically in the same boat as most of you...interviewed mid october

i just got the status change email and went to check.... i'm in!

beep said:
Congrats!
My status page still hasn't changed...I'm guessing I'm not getting good news from them. Oh well, I guess the out-of-state alternate list is a good bet.

Supercluster said:
Congrats!
My status page still hasn't changed...I'm guessing I'm not getting good news from them. Oh well, I guess the out-of-state alternate list is a good bet.

Hmm...not that I dont believe beep, but I dont think they've made offers. If they had, we would have all gotten some kind of status change, since they send out acceptances AND alternate list at the same time. Also, the status page would have had an announcement dated today saying "yadda yadda we've posted decisions yadda yadda"

Or, I could be completely wrong! But just throwing that out there...

hmm, i wonder why it was just me?

beep, when did you interview?

i interviewed on 2/17

edit: correction, it was 2/15; i misremembered

beep, are you being for real? If so, congratulations!!; if not, shame on you. :cool:

beep said:

If you're lying, this is a cruel joke!

vivek311r said:
Hmm...not that I dont believe beep, but I dont think they've made offers. If they had, we would have all gotten some kind of status change, since they send out acceptances AND alternate list at the same time. Also, the status page would have had an announcement dated today saying "yadda yadda we've posted decisions yadda yadda"

Or, I could be completely wrong! But just throwing that out there...

Yea, I agree with you.

For the last update, I remember checking roughly around the same time the first one's were updated, and upon doing so the announcement page was the first thing that changed.

Does anyone know how often they give out acceptances after this round is over and the waitlist has been formed?

oh man, im pulling my hair out....i hope all of us can get in on this round of acceptances :) (praying hard)

8-) said:
Does anyone know how often they give out acceptances after this round is over and the waitlist has been formed?

It's kind of arbitrary, but from looking at last year's thread, it seems that they sent out acceptances in clumps throughout april, may, june, and july.

this sucks. i'm so bummed. i wish they would update their status page and just say the offers went out so we're not all hoping for nothing

I think they will update their status page to tell us when the offers go out.... they did last time... so just sit tight!! :)

patel8 said:
this sucks. i'm so bummed. i wish they would update their status page and just say the offers went out so we're not all hoping for nothing

I just called and confirmed that acceptances did go out last night.

it's true...

from https://www.apps.som.vcu.edu/admissions/login/login.aspx
"3/22/2005
The final offers have been made. The alternate list will be created today and all applicants will be notified of their status. We will wait until we have had alternate list responses before deciding whether or not the entire alternate list will continue to be considered. This decision is based upon the number of candidates who wish to continue being considered. Please remember that the fact that a candidate has been on hold indicates that the committee considers them to be good candidates for medical school. However, applicants in past years have indicated that remaining on the alternate list when it seems unlikely that we will get to them is NOT preferred. Therefore, we will consider the length of the list and notify candidates if it seems that there is little likelihood of reaching their ranked position. We anticipate that we will hear from most candidates on the alternate list over the next two weeks."

*I'm still on hold :scared:
*deepbreath* it all works out!

slumaker said:
I just called and confirmed that acceptances did go out last night.

So does this mean we'll find out something today, or will we have to wait a couple of more weeks??

This is so frustrating....

focus05 said:
it's true...

from https://www.apps.som.vcu.edu/admissions/login/login.aspx
"3/22/2005
The final offers have been made. The alternate list will be created today and all applicants will be notified of their status. We will wait until we have had alternate list responses before deciding whether or not the entire alternate list will continue to be considered. This decision is based upon the number of candidates who wish to continue being considered. Please remember that the fact that a candidate has been on hold indicates that the committee considers them to be good candidates for medical school. However, applicants in past years have indicated that remaining on the alternate list when it seems unlikely that we will get to them is NOT preferred. Therefore, we will consider the length of the list and notify candidates if it seems that there is little likelihood of reaching their ranked position. We anticipate that we will hear from most candidates on the alternate list over the next two weeks."

*I'm still on hold :scared:
*deepbreath* it all works out!

Hey all,

Sorry to add to the frustration and tension that all of us seem to be going through with this VCU roller-coaster, but I just spoke with Shenia Tyler at the Admissions office and I have some important info that might help explain things a little bit better.

First off, they did in fact post acceptances last night. If your status is still hold right now, that means that you did not make the March round of acceptances. And, by the looks of it, none of us really made it (except for beep....sorry for not believing you last night!)

Everyone that's on hold now will receive a status change tonight at 11:00pm. That status change will be one thing, the alternate list. However, this year they're doing it in a different way...you'll receive a message asking you whether or not you want to be on the alternate list. The admissions office will then take everyone's responses, and see how large the alternate list is going to be. They'll then decide how many people stand a chance on the list, according to ranking, and how many people will eventually have no luck.

So, in two weeks, we will all get ANOTHER status change, telling us whether or not we're on the alternate list for REAL or whether we're rejected.

So everyone on hold now is going to be asked to choose whether or not they want to be on the alternate list, and in a couple of weeks we'll find out if we made the cut...for the alternate list.

This is getting SO crazy and stressful! Hang in there everybody...I'm sticking to my guns in saying that in the end, everything will work out for us and we'll all be doctors, I promise. :D

Aaaahhh! It NEVER ends!!! I never thought I would have to fight for a spot on the alternate list but if that's the case, then so be it.

Anyone going to decline the alternate list?

ARGH! I never thought I would be one of those crazy, obsessive people that post all the time, knowing full well that it won't do any good.

So I just called admissions office to clarify some things. I asked if we will know where we currently stand on the waitlist before being asked to choose whether or not we want to remain. That way, if we're too far down the list, then why bother? He said, "Yes...you will know at 11PM tonight and you will then be directed to a page that asks whether or not you want to stay on the list."

This is sooo insane!

thanks so much to all of those who called admissions and posted back to us. at least we will know where we stand with vcu as of 11 tonight. i cant stand this waiting anymore. best of luck to all of you :luck: