VCU update for March

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks a lot for all of the information. I think this might be a very good thing; at least we'll know where we stand within the next two weeks rather than remaining in limbo for the rest of the application cycle.

Good luck everybody. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

its 11pm ET and not 11pm PT. thought the clarification was needed.
good luck!

haha dont worry csv... i never thought i'd be a hardcore poster either:)
anyyyyways - so you're saying that by 11pm we will know what our "rank" is on the WL and whether or not we want to accept it or not?

I think it's sort of better this way b/c instead of going through all the ppl that never wanted to be on the waitlist in the first place.... now they can just go through those that DO want to be there when they have more spots to offer.... !!! so in the long run... it's good b/c it prob. (I hope) means a shorter WL.

ah the future..so uncertain.

stillpremed said:
its 11pm ET and not 11pm PT. thought the clarification was needed.
good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
focus05 said:
haha dont worry csv... i never thought i'd be a hardcore poster either:)
anyyyyways - so you're saying that by 11pm we will know what our "rank" is on the WL and whether or not we want to accept it or not?

I think it's sort of better this way b/c instead of going through all the ppl that never wanted to be on the waitlist in the first place.... now they can just go through those that DO want to be there when they have more spots to offer.... !!! so in the long run... it's good b/c it prob. (I hope) means a shorter WL.

ah the future..so uncertain.

I think that's what the gentleman meant. And by reading the announcement page, that's the impression I got. I don't think we'll know exactly where we rank but I'm assuming we'll get an idea of whether or not we really stand a chance if we choose to remain on it.

Here is the information that you have been anxiously awaiting. While we regret that we are unable to offer you a place in the class immediately, we are pleased to advise you that you have been placed on our alternate list. We do anticipate withdrawals from the class over the next several months with the peak coming around May 15, when candidates holding multiple acceptances are asked to send their final acceptance to the schools. As you know, we do not give out any details on your rank on the list. Be assured we will notify you immediately when we are able to offer you an acceptance. In the event that we do not have sufficient withdrawals to be able to offer you a seat you will be notified immediately after our orientation, which is mid-August.

We are anxious to assure you that we found you to be a relatively strong candidate and that the large applicant pool is the primary reason that we are unable to make an offer at this time. If you are not accepted elsewhere, you should apply early this next summer even if you still remain on our alternate list. If you wait for final notification from us, it will put you at a disadvantage for the following year.

We would appreciate your completion of the Alternate List Form, which we have provided at the top of this page. It allows us to track your status and interest in our school. If you have been accepted elsewhere and do not wish to remain on the alternate list, you may withdraw your application by following the instructions on the Alternate List Form; it would be of great assistance if we knew which candidates are still interested in our school.

We expect you to use this form even later in the summer should you be accepted elsewhere and no longer wish to be considered. This enables us to treat your fellow applicants better by allowing us to manage the alternate list more fairly. PLEASE REMEMBER to notify us at any time if your interest in our school changes.

We look forward to hearing from you and sincerely hope that you will be accepted here or elsewhere.

If you would like to withdraw your application at this time, please Click Here and follow the instructions. Otherwise, make a selection from the choices below.

I have been accepted elsewhere but still wish to be considered by VCU/MCV.
I have not been accepted anywhere else and wish to be on the alternate list at VCU/MCV.

Just wondering if a prior acceptance would place me at a disadvantage...anyways it doesn't seem like they tell us exactly where we are on the list or even if we're in range right now. Guess we just have to wait now.

Csv321 said:
I think that's what the gentleman meant. And by reading the announcement page, that's the impression I got. I don't think we'll know exactly where we rank but I'm assuming we'll get an idea of whether or not we really stand a chance if we choose to remain on it.

I called them earlier today as well, and the guy told me that we won't know our exact rank for two weeks. He said tonight will just be us indicating whether we want to be on the list or not. I hope you're right and he's wrong, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Yo guys, here's the deal... I asked Shenia Tyler this morning if we'll know where on the list we stand, and again, they dont disclose this info. So, all we'll know in two weeks is if we're ON the list or rejected.

ugh i'm turning into a hyper-poster...i need to calm down..but how can I??!!
haha

this makes no sense whatsoever... why would they tell us that we 'have been placed on the alternate list" if two weeks later they could potentially reject us? this is so retarted i mean the letter was really nice and everything but now i'm more confused than ever....

well at least we're all in this together?

vivek311r said:
Yo guys, here's the deal... I asked Shenia Tyler this morning if we'll know where on the list we stand, and again, they dont disclose this info. So, all we'll know in two weeks is if we're ON the list or rejected.

ugh i'm turning into a hyper-poster...i need to calm down..but how can I??!!
haha

alternate listed here as well (out-of-state)
3.4 (both cumulative/bcpm) MCAT: 30S...
so yea pretty pathetic #'s....

i totally agree with you patel8, but here's the thing, isn't it better to find out in 2 weeks whether we're at the bottom of the list rejected then to wait it out for the next 5 months thinking that there's some hope left (when there really isn't)? i mean at least we can get on with our lives and do stuff to improve our applications (in my case, i'm trucking off to graduate school) :D

and yes focus - we're in this together, we can take solace knowing that

patel8 said:
this makes no sense whatsoever... why would they tell us that we 'have been placed on the alternate list" if two weeks later they could potentially reject us? this is so retarted i mean the letter was really nice and everything but now i'm more confused than ever....

yep, together till the bitter end! i'm gonna be more optimistic from now on.. i hate how this process has made me bitter. dont anybody be too bummed out, as they say, its not over till we get that rejection letter... or status change in this case :)

Attentive said:
Here is the information that you have been anxiously awaiting. While we regret that we are unable to offer you a place in the class immediately, we are pleased to advise you that you have been placed on our alternate list. We do anticipate withdrawals from the class over the next several months with the peak coming around May 15, when candidates holding multiple acceptances are asked to send their final acceptance to the schools. As you know, we do not give out any details on your rank on the list. Be assured we will notify you immediately when we are able to offer you an acceptance. In the event that we do not have sufficient withdrawals to be able to offer you a seat you will be notified immediately after our orientation, which is mid-August.

So is this the supposed 11pm ET message or is there another coming (because I got that update at like 7pm ET) ? :confused:

On a brighter note, a friend of mine was interviewed in September last year and they kept her in the dark up until her end-of-June acceptance so cheer up everyone! :D

Does anyone know if some people are outright rejected post-interview or post-hold status, instead of being first placed on the alternate list and then rejected?

Best wishes to everyone banking on VCU! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
DrFlower said:
Does anyone know if some people are outright rejected post-interview or post-hold status, instead of being first placed on the alternate list and then rejected?

Best wishes to everyone banking on VCU! :)

According to Dr. Heldberg and Shenia, they do give post-interview rejections.

jj08 said:
According to Dr. Heldberg and Shenia, they do give post-interview rejections.

I guess that means a lot of us are in a pretty good position then, right? :oops: Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Attentive said:

We are anxious to assure you that we found you to be a relatively strong candidate and that the large applicant pool is the primary reason that we are unable to make an offer at this time. If you are not accepted elsewhere, you should apply early this next summer even if you still remain on our alternate list. If you wait for final notification from us, it will put you at a disadvantage for the following year.

We would appreciate your completion of the Alternate List Form, which we have provided at the top of this page. It allows us to track your status and interest in our school. If you have been accepted elsewhere and do not wish to remain on the alternate list, you may withdraw your application by following the instructions on the Alternate List Form; it would be of great assistance if we knew which candidates are still interested in our school.

We expect you to use this form even later in the summer should you be accepted elsewhere and no longer wish to be considered. This enables us to treat your fellow applicants better by allowing us to manage the alternate list more fairly. PLEASE REMEMBER to notify us at any time if your interest in our school changes.

We look forward to hearing from you and sincerely hope that you will be accepted here or elsewhere.

Did anyone get a message DIFFERENT than this one??

I like how the alternate list form had an option for people that havent been accepted anywhere...this may mean that we get bumped up ahead of other people on the list that may have already gotten in...just a thought.

:cool:, Everyone that did not get in last night got this message this evening. In two weeks we'll know what's really up.

Hey guys...looks like I landed on the alternate list like many of you did too. I'm just bummed b/c I'm banking solely on VCU.

Who knows what can happen though, right? I'm just scared in two weeks I'll find out that I'm ranked #471 on the waitlist!! :(

vivek311r said:
I like how the alternate list form had an option for people that havent been accepted anywhere...this may mean that we get bumped up ahead of other people on the list that may have already gotten in...just a thought.

:cool:, Everyone that did not get in last night got this message this evening. In two weeks we'll know what's really up.

I thought that was true too but I don't think it makes a difference. I remember reading through last year's thread and someone suggested the same thing. However, a poster said he was accepted elsewhere and still got off the waitlist at VCU while other applicants who had no other acceptances were accepted later. Those people who were accepted were in the same position many of us are in: one waitlist and hopefully, one acceptance soon.

Hey guys.. I too am in the same position as most of you that have been writing in this thread (i.e. placed on the alternate list and waiting for further notice)... does anyone know how the alternate list went last year, I mean does anyone know how many people were taken off of the list last year or in the years before?

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to resurrect this thread and see if anyone has any updates on the alternate list, etc. It's April and this week, hopefully, the Admissions Office will be letting people know if they're still on the alternate list.

Good luck all, and be sure to keep this thread updated!

khushster said:
Hey guys.. I too am in the same position as most of you that have been writing in this thread (i.e. placed on the alternate list and waiting for further notice)... does anyone know how the alternate list went last year, I mean does anyone know how many people were taken off of the list last year or in the years before?

I believe the alternative list had pretty good movement last year, at least for the out-of-state list. I believe someone even got pulled off the list in July and hauled all his stuff cross-country on short notice. Although, I think waitlist movement doesn't start much until a little bit after that "loose" May 15th date where people are supposed to whittle it down to one acceptance.

thanks for the info spiffy.. :) .are you heading down to VCU this august?

SpiffyJWC said:
I believe the alternative list had pretty good movement last year, at least for the out-of-state list. I believe someone even got pulled off the list in July and hauled all his stuff cross-country on short notice. Although, I think waitlist movement doesn't start much until a little bit after that "loose" May 15th date where people are supposed to whittle it down to one acceptance.

chondrocyte said:
thanks for the info spiffy.. :) .are you heading down to VCU this august?

Yeah, looks like I'll be packing my bags for good ol' Richmond....

Does anyone know if a letter of intent/interest will make any difference at this point?

Csv321 said:
Does anyone know if a letter of intent/interest will make any difference at this point?

Letter of interest, no.
Letter of intent, yes (well, it can't hurt right?)

Csv321 said:

I am going to say no. From what i understand, everyone has been assigned a priority score and the alternate list is ranked by that score. Like Code Brown said, cant hurt

congrats guys...lots of peeps withdrew their apps...everyone who wished to remain on the alternate list WILL remain on the list. The website also mentions that the majority of movements will be beginning of june.

4/4/2005
The withdrawals from the alternate list were substantial and at this point, all candidates who were notified that they are on the alternate list will remain there. This DOES NOT mean that we are sure we will get to everyone. In fact, there have been no years when everyone on the alternate list was accepted. Very little action will take place over the next month. A large number of withdrawals do occur around May 15th each year. It usually takes us a week or two to process those so we will know a lot more after that time. We wish you well with all your applications.

Yay for hope!

For VA Residents out there, a guy that I personally know is about to withdraw his acceptance to VCU for UVA!!! Good news!

Wow, I'm really pathetic...haha.

Trident said:
:laugh:
:thumbup:
whatever keeps hope alive, vivek!

Hey guys,

At least for any out-of-staters on the waitlist just letting you know the waitlist is already beginning to move, so keep your fingers crossed like I did.

I interviewed in December, was passed over in January/March and I received my acceptance tonight a few hours after the front page was updated.

Good luck all.

Attentive said:
Hey guys,

At least for any out-of-staters on the waitlist just letting you know the waitlist is already beginning to move, so keep your fingers crossed like I did.

I interviewed in December, was passed over in January/March and I received my acceptance tonight a few hours after the front page was updated.

Good luck all.

Congrats!

Attentive said:
Hey guys,

Good luck all.

Cool! Thanks for letting us know! Are you attending? I hope we'll be classmates soon!

i just withdrew from vcu, so there is another out-of-state spot for someone...

Hi Guys,

I have made a decision (FINALLY~), and will withdraw from VCU sometime this week. It's been really fun following this thread, and I wish you all a fantastic experience at VCU!

Medfish

ps. I'm out of state from So. Cal, so I'm assuming another out of stater will take my spot.

medfish said:
Hi Guys,

I have made a decision (FINALLY~), and will withdraw from VCU sometime this week. It's been really fun following this thread, and I wish you all a fantastic experience at VCU!

Medfish

ps. I'm out of state from So. Cal, so I'm assuming another out of stater will take my spot.

yeah hopefully i can, im from so. cal too. thanx medfish. all in all i jus hope we all can get in somewhere, im still waiting for that one day when i hear congrats!...in the meantime, congrats to everyone else who got in! :D

gooo in state list!!

focus05 said:
gooo in state list!!

i second that :thumbup:

hooray for all of you out-of-staters, but where are the in-state withdrawals?! :cool:

Trident, they're coming dont worry about it. I go to W&M which has an ass load of pre-meds, and honestly I know two people that are going to VCU...everyone else is off to UVA. So hold tight, I definitely think the in-state list will be moving as most of the people that got into UVA and VCU will be choosing UVA.

Hey all...
That's wonderful that people are already getting accepted! Hopefully there will be good news for everyone, the fact that a lot of people withdrew already is a good sign. Good luck to everyone!

Hi Plattinum9,

I'm sure your chances are great in terms of getting taken off the waitlist, given that it's a large school that takes lots of out of staters. The admissions committee also tries to keep the out of state student body diverse, so who knows, they just might replace one Californian with another!

Best and keep us updated,

Medfish

plattinum9 said:
yeah hopefully i can, im from so. cal too. thanx medfish. all in all i jus hope we all can get in somewhere, im still waiting for that one day when i hear congrats!...in the meantime, congrats to everyone else who got in! :D

Any ideas how many people are on the waitlist?

marlin1, if you think about you might be able to predict how many people are on the list. The class size is around 185, and they give out approx 350 acceptances. I've also heard that half of the 185, so like 90 people, come off the waiting list. I'm guessing then that the list is a little over 100 people?

Or I might be completely wrong...

im pretty sure VCU ONLY accepts the number to fill the class...and then as people withdraw they pull people from the alternate list...if an in-stater withdraws they pull from the in-state list and same goes for out-of-state

just read a coupla earlier posts i missed in this thread....to back up what i said about VCU only accepting the # to fill up the class - i guess that's why Attentive was accepted from the alternate list right away

Anyone heard anything lately? Anyone else obsessively logging into the status page, hoping for a change before that magic email comes? There have been some posts about out of state withdrawals. Other people who don't post or are unaware of SDN are probably withdrawing also (I hope!)...Are they sending them out in batches still?

Oh the agony...

SpiffyJWC said:

thanks!!! do appreciate the info.. :)

Just curious...what are your all's back up plans?

I'll be going to a DO school