Vehicle question (Sorry if not allowed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So to all my car guys/gals in this group,( @WrenchesToMD I'm looking at you) I have a question.

Currently I have a big lifted truck with wide 22x12 wheels and monster 35s on it. I love the truck and its great. It has had a rebuilt engine and trans put in it a little over two years ago, (had to replace trans with a used one this past weekend because the rebuilt one was toast). I currently have the opportunity to trade my truck for a Hyundai genesis coupe 2.0t that has been well maintained however there was an accident that caused the car to have a rebuilt title (checked the frame already and its straight from what I can tell). I feel the genesis will be a better option while in medical school because of gas (even though the house we are renting is under two miles from the school) and cheaper tires etc. (my tires are $500 per tire).

Looking for suggestions on what everyone thinks? I do have a daughter and the two door car would be inconvenient but my fiancé has a four door and I figured we could use her car if needed when we have our daughter with us.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have recently been looking at the genesis and it is awesome. The big things with it however that Hyundai is really trying to make it a competition with Lexus, Acura, etc. so it is very luxurious and has a lot of performance features. Now that being said, for a couple initial years, they made the Hyundai Genesis and if that is what you are talking about, it is basically the Genesis G80. I have heard good things but I worry about the long term reliability coming out of the Hyundai lines.

So back to the genesis brand, it has both the positives of luxury and performance but it also comes with both the negatives. I believe the Genesis has differential tires on the front and rear so you aren’t really going to be saving money on tires as you cannot rotate them. And being that you are only a couple miles, not sure how much gas you are going to save.

Me personally, I would have a hard time spending money on a salvage title car. But if it is in your price range or you really want it, from what I hear they are good cars.

Reactions: 1 user
I have recently been looking at the genesis and it is awesome. The big things with it however that Hyundai is really trying to make it a competition with Lexus, Acura, etc. so it is very luxurious and has a lot of performance features. Now that being said, for a couple initial years, they made the Hyundai Genesis and if that is what you are talking about, it is basically the Genesis G80. I have heard good things but I worry about the long term reliability coming out of the Hyundai lines.

So back to the genesis brand, it has both the positives of luxury and performance but it also comes with both the negatives. I believe the Genesis has differential tires on the front and rear so you aren’t really going to be saving money on tires as you cannot rotate them. And being that you are only a couple miles, not sure how much gas you are going to save.

Me personally, I would have a hard time spending money on a salvage title car. But if it is in your price range or you really want it, from what I hear they are good cars.
It would be a straight trade for my truck. So I wouldn’t be out any cash. However my truck is a clean title.

Also it is the Hyundai Genesis I was talking about. The BK1 version it’s a very nice car but something about that rebuilt title has me cringing.

Attachments

• B6DDB18D-72A2-4AEF-93E7-54F1927AEAFE.png
    B6DDB18D-72A2-4AEF-93E7-54F1927AEAFE.png
    638.6 KB · Views: 62
Depends if it’s en equal value trade or not. What type of truck we talking about like a nice one or some rust bucket? You may be able to get more pp sale than a trade. Also I’d be careful with rebuilt titles it hurts resale value and it’s hard to tell what really happened u less you have repair record. People shaft off cars w bent frames all the time. It’s not easy to spot and requires a keen eye.

Just get what you want that is reliable. Personally I got a crosstrek in residency With has pricing going up and something that can handle the snow.

My opinion, but I cannot fathom trading in a truck with a clean title for a rebuilt genesis in the name of gas savings and the like. Why not trade in the truck for a car that doesn't have a huge question mark in its history? Frame might look straight to you, but the car was obviously trashed enough at one point to junk the title. You have a kid and you're in medical school, doesn't sound like you need the potential hassle of this car.

Reactions: 1 users
I have bought and traded many cars and motorcycles in my life. I cannot recommend buying or trading for a car with a salvage/rebuilt title.

I agree with everyone and thank you for the comments. I have decided against the genesis and I have a few offers around $7000 for the truck so I am just going to sell it.

@FrkyBgStok I decided against the genesis and bought a buddies 335i that’s been very well maintained.