Venofer... what do you see in practice?

Started by ethyl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the max a patient can typically absorb in a day? 300mg, 400mg? I was under the impression it was 300mg but I can't find any references supporting it. All of the approved indications involve doses spread out by several days. But if pharmacy is consulted, we usually calculate the elemental iron deficit and just give Venofer daily doses (up to 300mg IV daily) accordingly. Are patients absorbing much of these additional doses?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What would be the benefit of the larger doses (or is this just a theoretical concern)? I would think the patient would just get a transfusion if they were that symptomatically anemic. Although I suppose it could be a patient who refuses blood or has some sort of contraindication to the receipt of blood products...