You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Venous blood gas
Started by quickfeet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Are there any commonly encountered situations where VBG is not an acceptable alternative to ABG?
When evaluating pO2. That's about it.
When your pulse ox isn't giving a great waveform and you want to know about oxygenation or for p to f ratio to determine if ards (primarily in icu)
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When your hospitalist won't listen to science and logic...
As an IM resident... because it's a PITA to get at my hospital. The RNs complain that they can't draw gases, the RTs claim they can't do a venous stick and 4 hours later when I don't have a result I say, "Fornicate this," cancel the order and just order an ABG. The patient's radial artery be damned.When your hospitalist won't listen to science and logic...
In the ED? No.Are there any commonly encountered situations where VBG is not an acceptable alternative to ABG?
As an IM resident... because it's a PITA to get at my hospital. The RNs complain that they can't draw gases, the RTs claim they can't do a venous stick and 4 hours later when I don't have a result I say, "Fornicate this," cancel the order and just order an ABG. The patient's radial artery be damned.
wait, what?
It's a POC/istat test ran from a green top. Anyone who can draw blood can fill a green top, take it to the RT, have them run a VBG. takes 5 minutes.
Here's a quick primer for you: VBG versus ABG • LITFL: Life in the Fast Lane Medical Blog
D
deleted109597
Clearly the place where you work has a thing called common sense. It's sorely lacking at my hospital.wait, what?
It's a POC/istat test ran from a green top. Anyone who can draw blood can fill a green top, take it to the RT, have them run a VBG. takes 5 minutes.
D
deleted547339
When I was an EM resident, I drank the koolaid. Now as a CCM fellow, I definitely see the utility of ABG over VBG.
A VBG is a great screen in the ED, but if a patient is going to the ICU, an ABG can be helpful. In extremes, the correlation can get worse - particularly in severe shock. An ABG helps establish a P:F ratio to trend. Also, winters formula isn't validated in VBG so you don't necessarily have an appropriate understanding of the acid/base physiology.
I think if you have a good intensivist group and patients go to the ICU quickly, it doesn't matter. It you are boarding patients for a while, am ABG may be helpful.
A VBG is a great screen in the ED, but if a patient is going to the ICU, an ABG can be helpful. In extremes, the correlation can get worse - particularly in severe shock. An ABG helps establish a P:F ratio to trend. Also, winters formula isn't validated in VBG so you don't necessarily have an appropriate understanding of the acid/base physiology.
I think if you have a good intensivist group and patients go to the ICU quickly, it doesn't matter. It you are boarding patients for a while, am ABG may be helpful.
wait, what?
It's a POC/istat test ran from a green top. Anyone who can draw blood can fill a green top, take it to the RT, have them run a VBG. takes 5 minutes.
1. We don't generally run iSTATs for floor patients.
2. Given the mismatch between the iSTAT lactate and lab lactate and iSTAT chem panel and lab chem panel at my hospital, I don't trust the iSTATs further than I can throw them.
1. We don't generally run iSTATs for floor patients.
2. Given the mismatch between the iSTAT lactate and lab lactate and iSTAT chem panel and lab chem panel at my hospital, I don't trust the iSTATs further than I can throw them.

You realize ABGs are run on the same machines as VBGs, right?
You realize ABGs are run on the same machines as VBGs, right?
An ABG machine (same brand that my hospital uses. It also runs VBGs):
iSTAT:
The post I was responding to specifically mentions using an iSTAT for running the lab.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 167
- Views
- 13K