Venting about GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hwheeler757

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just need to rant a little and maybe round up some motivation/support/advice so here it goes:

My first two years of college, I didn't think a medical career was in my future. All I needed was a degree and I was guaranteed a job in what I was studying. Well, "D is for diploma" was the mindset I had and after two years I left with a 2.4 GPA. When I switched gears and decided to pursue med, I saw the GPAs that most applicants had...and I did the math. Even if I get perfect grades my next two years of school, the best I can do is a 3.3. Like wtf!? Why are schools so shallow about numbers? I plan to do great on the MCAT because I AM a smart person, I just got lazy. But I just really hope that the schools I apply to look at my improvement and my MCAT score and not my mistake from years ago. I realize if I apply to a DO school that they do grade replacement but the school my heart is set on is allopathic :(

DISCLAIMER: I am not that same person who "gets by" and THATS what I'm trying to prove. And my comment about shallow numbers was worded wrong, I apologize. I should have said, I wish MD schools would have grade replacement instead of averaging because we're only human and people change

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just need to rant a little and maybe round up some motivation/support/advice so here it goes:

My first two years of college, I didn't think a medical career was in my future. All I needed was a degree and I was guaranteed a job in what I was studying. Well, "D is for diploma" was the mindset I had and after two years I left with a 2.4 GPA. When I switched gears and decided to pursue med, I saw the GPAs that most applicants had...and I did the math. Even if I get perfect grades my next two years of school, the best I can do is a 3.3. Like wtf!? Why are schools so shallow about numbers? I plan to do great on the MCAT because I AM a smart person, I just got lazy. But I just really hope that the schools I apply to look at my improvement and my MCAT score and not my mistake from years ago. I realize if I apply to a DO school that they do grade replace tv but the school my heart is set on is allopathic :(

That sentence above indicates an annoying attitude. Schools don't make these numbers. The reason it is so difficult to get into medical school is because the applicants themselves are very competitive, and usually a committee is gonna take the 31/3.7 guy over the 31/3.3 guy.

Second coming back from a 2.4 for allopathic is gonna be really tough. I would just apply DO after grade replacement. You have a chance for DO.

Reactions: 1 users
There are times when an SMP can make a difference with a low GPA. Do your best, rock the MCAT, then evaluate your situations. You may decide that actually being a doctor is more important than the letters behind your name. You may not do as well on the MCAT as you desire. If you are in a high MCAT/low GPA situation, then do the SMP. Otherwise, do grade replacement and go DO.

Members don't see this ad :)

My first two years of college, I didn't think a medical career was in my future. All I needed was a degree and I was guaranteed a job in what I was studying. Well, "D is for diploma" was the mindset I had and after two years I left with a 2.4 GPA. When I switched gears and decided to pursue med, I saw the GPAs that most applicants had...and I did the math. Even if I get perfect grades my next two years of school, the best I can do is a 3.3. Like wtf!? Why are schools so shallow about numbers? I plan to do great on the MCAT because I AM a smart person, I just got lazy. But I just really hope that the schools I apply to look at my improvement and my MCAT score and not my mistake from years ago. I realize if I apply to a DO school that they do grade replacement but the school my heart is set on is allopathic :(

The bolded says quite a bit about you.

Medical schools aren't just looking for "smart people." They are looking for people who are motivated and intelligent. Being lazy with school work, regardless of your intended profession, is a sign that you probably wouldn't do well when the **** hits the fan in medical school with 5x the amount of info you have in undergrad.

By the way, you don't just score well on the MCAT because you're smart. You score well through hard work and determination. Both of which you seem to be lacking.

Stop whining and get to work. You messed up, and now you can try to correct it. Complaining about how it's the school's fault for overlooking you due to YOUR laziness is annoying, to say the least.

Reactions: 7 users
The bolded says quite a bit about you.

Medical schools aren't just looking for "smart people." They are looking for people who are motivated and intelligent. Being lazy with school work, regardless of your intended profession, is a sign that you probably wouldn't do well when the **** hits the fan in medical school with 5x the amount of info you have in undergrad.

By the way, you don't just score well on the MCAT because you're smart. You score well through hard work and determination. Both of which you seem to be lacking.

Stop whining and get to work. You messed up, and now you can try to correct it. Complaining about how it's the school's fault for overlooking you due to YOUR laziness is annoying, to say the least.

Again, I'm not stupid. I realize they are looking for more than smarts and I'm confident in everything else in my profile including my personality however this is just a rant about my GPA. and I am trying to correct it regardless, I just wish they did grade replacement for MD. next time someone starts out with "I'd like some motivation/advice" you should try it. Being a jerk doesn't make you any better ;)

Hold very still because I'm going to smack some sense into you.

Firstly, There are about 25000 seats in US medicals schools, and well over twice that number apply for them. So who should get the first crack at them?

Second, you need to convince us that medical school (which is a LOT harder than anything you'll see in UG) curriculums won't kill you. Words are easy and doing is hard. You say you're a smart person? Prove it.

Third, there medical schools that reward reinvention, and pay more attention to the last 2-3 years than the entire transcript. So if you do indeed ace the rest of your coursework, and do well on MCAT, you will be a competitive candidate for med school. However, not al schools do this and it's not their job to reward your poor choice making.

Fourth, retake all F/D/C science coursework and watch what AACOMAS' grade replacement policy does for the old GPA.

Fifth, don't be surprised about the caustic comments because I (and others here) perceived an unhealthy sense of entitlement in your post. If you can drop that, and demonstrate resilience, this will be rewarded.

Reactions: 8 users
Again, I'm not stupid. I realize they are looking for more than smarts and I'm confident in everything else in my profile including my personality however this is just a rant about my GPA. and I am trying to correct it regardless, I just wish they did grade replacement for MD. next time someone starts out with "I'd like some motivation/advice" you should try it. Being a jerk doesn't make you any better ;)

And whining doesn't make you any more appealing to medical schools.

Hold very still because I'm going to smack some sense into you.

Firstly, There are about 25000 seats in US medicals schools, and well over twice that number apply for them. So who should get the first crack at them?

Second, you need to convince us that medical school (which is a LOT harder than anything you'll see in UG) curriculums won't kill you. Words are easy and doing is hard. You say you're a smart person? Prove it.

Third, there medical schools that reward reinvention, and pay more attention to the last 2-3 years than the entire transcript. So if you do indeed ace the rest of your coursework, and do well on MCAT, you will be a competitive candidate for med school. However, not al schools do this and it's not their job to reward your poor choice making.

Fourth, retake all F/D/C science coursework and watch what AACOMAS' grade replacement policy does for the old GPA.

Thank you, and I agree, but what I'm saying is that I am better than that person I was two years ago and want to prove it. I realize I'm not the only one who thinks this but if I could just snip out that one record I'd be a decent applicant (GPA wise). And it just feels like it's going to haunt me forever.

What medical schools don't want are students who do the minimum that they can to get by. For example, "I got bad grades because it didn't matter" runs contrary to the kinds of students that we look for. Commitment to excellence is a term that schools and hospitals like to throw around and while it is more slogan than anything else, there is an expectation of our students to be committed to being the best that they can be. Not just someone who aims for just passing because that is all they need. It is very difficult to fail out of medical school. A lot of how well people do in med school is determined by how much self motivation they have. A lot of it is born out of self motivation to do well so that they do better (get their desired specialty, match the program that they want etc), but part of it is self motivation to do well so that they can provide the best future care for their patients.

Welcome to the real world, where quality matters. None of this, "I'll barely not fail and be guaranteed a job." A common mistep that pre-meds make is thinking that this process is about them and for that reason they make comments like, "Why are schools so shallow about numbers?" There are thousands of students every year applying to medical school. Your 2.4 at this point shows that you are an inferior student to 99%+ of them. Is that subject to change? Of course. Do schools reward reinvention and upward trends? Of course. Will a strong academic showing for the next two years and on the MCAT make medical school realistic? Absolutely. What will be far detrimental for you going forward is your mindset and attitude.

Drop the entitlement. You need to accept that medical schools want good students in their classes because medicine is a long and hard road that is best handled by those who have a history of doing well. You need to accept that you don't have a history of doing well and while you were goofing off for two years, others weren't. Everyone applying to medical school thinks that they are smart. Most think that they will do well on the MCAT. The difference between most of them and you is that they have actually shown that in some way, rather than complain that schools are "shallow".

Reactions: 5 users
And whining doesn't make you any more appealing to medical schools.

I'm not whining to a medical school am I? I'm seeking support in peers so mind your own business if you're not going to be constructive.

What medical schools don't want are students who do the minimum that they can to get by. For example, "I got bad grades because it didn't matter" runs contrary to the kinds of students that we look for. Commitment to excellence is a term that schools and hospitals like to throw around and while it is more slogan than anything else, there is an expectation of our students to be committed to being the best that they can be. Not just someone who aims for just passing because that is all they need. It is very difficult to fail out of medical school. A lot of how well people do in med school is determined by how much self motivation they have. A lot of it is born out of self motivation to do well so that they do better (get their desired specialty, match the program that they want etc), but part of it is self motivation to do well so that they can provide the best future care for their patients.

Welcome to the real world, where quality matters. None of this, "I'll barely not fail and be guaranteed a job." A common mistep that pre-meds make is thinking that this process is about them and for that reason they make comments like, "Why are schools so shallow about numbers?" There are thousands of students every year applying to medical school. Your 2.4 at this point shows that you are an inferior student to 99%+ of them. Is that subject to change? Of course. Do schools reward reinvention and upward trends? Of course. Will a strong academic showing for the next two years and on the MCAT make medical school realistic? Absolutely. What will be far detrimental for you going forward is your mindset and attitude.

Drop the entitlement. You need to accept that medical schools want good students in their classes because medicine is a long and hard road that is best handled by those who have a history of doing well. You need to accept that you don't have a history of doing well and while you were goofing off for two years, others weren't. Everyone applying to medical school thinks that they are smart. Most think that they will do well on the MCAT. The difference between most of them and you is that they have actually shown that in some way, rather than complain that schools are "shallow".

What I'm saying is that I don't "goof off" anymore. I'm not the smartest person in the world and I know that. I'm just saying I'm better than the person I was two years ago.

What we are trying to make you understand is that your post was not " I F'd up my first two years and now I'm going to turn it around" but something more insidious: I F'd up my first two years and how dare they not consider me to be good enough for them".

Perception is everything and to this Adcom, it came across as whining. Heed the wise Mimelim's words very carefully. And stop trying to have the last word. You're getting constructive criticism here.

I'm not whining to a medical school am I? I'm seeking support in peers so mind your own business if you're not going to be constructive.

And all we're asking you to do now is go out and prove it.
What I'm saying is that I don't "goof off" anymore. I'm not the smartest person in the world and I know that. I'm just saying I'm better than the person I was two years ago.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else notice her picture while they're reading and can't stop imagining a valley girl twang. Like WTF? No way?

I can understand your worries. I have a friend who is incredibly brilliant, quite attractive, very athletic, did extensive research, etc. She also got 99th percentile >38) on her MCAT. Unfortunately, she has a low GPA due to prior circumstances when she didn't care anything about medical school.

AMCAS unfortunately takes all college grades into account, and my friend, despite 3 years of a 4.0 performance, still has a dismal GPA and may not get into medical school. It's indeed absurd that the grade window is essentially infinite, and even someone with say 3.2 GPA with a 45 MCAT will get shafted by MD and barely squeak through DO.

Sadly, this is the way things are, but the admission process is never fair to applicants. My only suggestion is to rock your grades and bounce your GPA to around a 3.2. With a strong MCAT and ECs, you should apply to schools that reward reinvention.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else notice her picture while they're reading and can't stop imagining a valley girl twang. Like WTF? No way?

How is that constructive at all? What was the point of saying that? My feelings aren't hurt but I'm sure that would offend someone else so for someone else's sake you should watch what you say, you don't know anything about me.

Not a single person in this thread has been a jerk to you. You made a post with a massive sense of entitlement, lack of introspection, a huge, "its not me, its them" attitude and frankly a demonstrated lack of knowledge about this entire process. You need to wake up and realize that the world is not going to pat you on the back and say, "Ya, those big mean med schools need to stop being so shallow." The reality is that you are in a hole. An insurmountable one? Nope. But, while you are a better person than you were two years ago, so are most people who started off at a higher point.

It is expected that students grow and mature in undergrad. That is the baseline. Some would even say somewhat the purpose of undergrad. You, like most in undergrad (myself included) still have a long way to go. From your initial post, you have a lot to figure out.

First and foremost, you need to re-read this thread and take off the defensive attitude. There is a reason Goro prefaced his post the way that he did. If you want to come from behind and overtake people who have been doing well/average over the last 2 years, you need to not only be smart and work hard. You need to grow up, a lot. It starts with an understanding of how deep of a hole you are in and why you are in it. That is followed by an understanding that the system isn't perfect, but there are reasons for the way that it is setup and it is meant to exclude people like yourself (in your present state).

Edit: Nevermind the whole "Nobody is being a jerk" part @mk04447 ruined it.

Reactions: 5 users
On a truly constructive note, do change your profile picture to something not personal. It is dangerous and often brings about posts like the one above. I mean this sincerely.

Reactions: 2 users
I can understand your worries. I have a friend who is incredibly brilliant, quite attractive, very athletic, did extensive research, etc. She also got 99th percentile >38) on her MCAT. Unfortunately, she has a low GPA due to prior circumstances when she didn't care anything about medical school.

AMCAS unfortunately takes all college grades into account, and my friend, despite 3 years of a 4.0 performance, still has a dismal GPA and may not get into medical school. It's indeed absurd that the grade window is essentially infinite, and even someone with say 3.2 GPA with a 45 MCAT will get shafted by MD and barely squeak through DO.

Sadly, this is the way things are, but the admission process is never fair to applicants. My only suggestion is to rock your grades and bounce your GPA to around a 3.2. With a strong MCAT and ECs, you should apply to schools that reward reinvention.

Thank you, I appreciate advice I can work with as well as some motivation. I will continue to keep up everything I'm already working at until my GPA looks decent again.

On a truly constructive note, do change your profile picture to something not personal. It is dangerous and often brings about posts like the one above. I mean this sincerely.

Thanks, will do.

Reactions: 1 user
Now I read it imagining Chester following his buddy Spike. Boss, ya think I have a shot? Lemme try? I can do it?

I realize if I apply to a DO school that they do grade replacement but the school my heart is set on is allopathic

I knew there would be something like this in your post. Take a loooong hard think about this: do you want to be a doctor or a student at that school? (and if its a top 20 I swear on my mothers eyes......)

Why are you posting here? You are making @mimelim and @Goro and others look bad by being a jerk with unnecessary caustic comments that help no one here

To be honest, I thought that last comment was going to be lost generationally, but the fact that you got it made me smile.

I knew there would be something like this in your post. Take a loooong hard think about this: do you want to be a doctor or a student at that school? (and if its a top 20 I swear on my mothers eyes......)
No, I promise! It's just less expensive :(

No, I promise! It's just less expensive :(

I'll allow it. But think about this. In all likelihood if you are hell bent on MD you'll have to do a post-bacc/SMP. So you've sunk another 20-50k on that. You might still not be guaranteed to get into the school. If you do get in whats the tuition difference after you account for the extra schooling? Now add in a year or two of lost attending salary.

@hwheeler757 From what I understand you only completed two years of college course work. I'm not sure how many units you have taken so far. There may be a possibility to raise your GPA with solid coursework. It maybe even above a 3.3 with hard work.

The biggest lesson I've learned so far in life is to always maintain channels of opportunity open because you never know when you will need to lean on those channels. The biggest lesson I've learned so far in life is to always maintain channels of opportunity open because you never know when you will need to lean on those channels . It's obviously a little too late but moving forward you should really take this into consideration . It's obviously a little too late but moving forward you should really take this into consideration, as it will continue to happen throughout your life .

The biggest lesson I've learned so far in life is to always maintain channels of opportunity open because you never know when you will need to lean on those channels. The biggest lesson I've learned so far in life is to always maintain channels of opportunity open because you never know when you will need to lean on those channels . It's obviously a little too late but moving forward you should really take this into consideration . It's obviously a little too late but moving forward you should really take this into consideration, as it will continue to happen throughout your life .

I realize I am a bit tired but any reason why you repeated your sentences twice? Unless I'm seeing double :eek:

adcom's love numbers AND interesting applicants. so where you lack in numbers, you best make up for in not being boring. life experience has been a factor in a lot of adcom decisions as GPAs are not translatable between schools and MCAT alone is a great predictor of success. Be memorable and if they bring up faults from your past, talk about how you grew from them. They love that stuff!

adcom's love numbers AND interesting applicants. so where you lack in numbers, you best make up for in not being boring. life experience has been a factor in a lot of adcom decisions as GPAs are not translatable between schools and MCAT alone is a great predictor of success. Be memorable and if they bring up faults from your past, talk about how you grew from them. They love that stuff!

Just one minor correction. Life experience isn't often the deciding factor, it was the applicants ability to tell their story. The better smoozer gets the slot.

Just one minor correction. Life experience isn't often the deciding factor, it was the applicants ability to tell their story. The better smoozer gets the slot.
^ Agreed.

More accurately, the better you are at communicating, the more effective a story is. Poor communicators are far less effective in a largely people profession.

Stay positive, work your ass off, don't make excuses, and show them you want it.

More accurately, the better you are at communicating, the more effective a story is. Poor communicators are far less effective in a largely people profession.

For sure. Everyone accepted from my SMP were characters.