Verbal Advice- Philosophy Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazinfury

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been a month now since I began my verbal review. Although I have become more comfortable with the material, philosophy passages destroy me. Every time I do a passage set and I get a philosophy passage, it destroys my score and me in the process. Any advice on what I can do to improve. I was thinking of redoing all of the philosophy passages that I got wrong and try my best to answer the questions correctly this time. What do you guys suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I apologize if this seems like obvious advice, but maybe you should develop some familiarity with philosophy. If you haven't read much philosophy, then many of the concepts will be unfamiliar and unfamiliar concepts are hard to retain.

A good overview of philosophy text would take you through the basics, so you could recognize and categorize the information more readily. You can cover a lot of ground by learning:

Cultures: Western, Eastern
Ages: Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance, Modern
Branches: Ethics, Metaphysics, Epistemology, Logic
Big debates: Realism, Idealism, Skepticism, Pragmatism

If you recognize the buzz words and already know the basics, you will be able to more easily set the passages in context.

This is a pretty good compromise between length and content:
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265867258&sr=8-4

Well, I apologize if this seems like obvious advice, but maybe you should develop some familiarity with philosophy. If you haven't read much philosophy, then many of the concepts will be unfamiliar and unfamiliar concepts are hard to retain.

A good overview of philosophy text would take you through the basics, so you could recognize and categorize the information more readily. You can cover a lot of ground by learning:

Cultures: Western, Eastern
Ages: Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance, Modern
Branches: Ethics, Metaphysics, Epistemology, Logic
Big debates: Realism, Idealism, Skepticism, Pragmatism

If you recognize the buzz words and already know the basics, you will be able to more easily set the passages in context

This is a pretty good compromise between length and content:
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265867258&sr=8-4

:thumbup: Philosophy major here. Definitely review the passages you've done already and try to figure out where you are going wrong. I think if you take some time to familiarize yourself with the tone and content of philosophy passages in general, it'll become easier for you to pick up on what is most important and what details support the major contentions.