Verbal Reasoning Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letaps

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

When I do verbal passages from the book (on paper), i tend to get less wrong than when I do verbal passages from the computer (from the online practice exams or Kaplan's Quiz Bank).

Do you guys have any suggestions that would help my verbal score go up when I do the passages on the computer?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

this only happens in verbal...i just have a harder idea grasping the main idea (i have to sometimes read the sentences from the passages more than once when on the computer)...and kaplans mapping strategy just slows me down...so i stopped doing that...i was wondering if you guys had any tips or strategy's to improve my verbal score on the computer...

Thanks

Pretty must just to keep practicing. I'd tend to agree that reading off paper is easier than reading off the computer, but thats not really an option. People suggest reading from advanced newspapers or something to improve your reading comprehension and ability. Maybe you should read something on the computer (SDN doesn't count). Go to the NYtimes website or something and just practice reading articles so you become more comfortable with reading and absorbing information from the computer screen. Take all the CBT tests you can.

i think your problem may be that you're trying to focus on every little detail of the passage. i say this because you say you reread. now i think what's happening to you is that you're not focusing properly because you're not used to reading things on a computer. most exams in your life were all on paper and that's just the way we learned to take tests. now you're putting yourself in a completely different position and i think its only natural for you to be having problems with it.

as the op said, start reading more articles online from various websites (economist, NYT, Washington Post) and attack each as if it were a verbal passage. At the same time, try and do as many computer based verbal passages as you can to see what works for you the best.