Verbal Reasoning/Writing Sample Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lorelei

SDN Angel
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All users may post questions about MCAT verbal and writing sample here. We will answer the questions as soon as we reasonably can. If you would like to know what VR and WS topics appear on the MCAT, you should check the MCAT Student Manual (http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/studentmanual/start.htm)

Acceptable topics:
-general, MCAT-level critical reading or writing questions
-particular MCAT-level verbal or writing sample questions, whether your own or from study material
-what you need to know about verbal or writing for the MCAT
-how best to approach MCAT verbal passages
-how best to prepare for MCAT verbal reasoning and writing sample
-how best to tackle the MCAT VR and WS sections

Unacceptable topics:
-actual MCAT questions or passages, or close paraphrasings thereof
-anything you know to be beyond the scope of the MCAT

If you really know your verbal or (especially) writing sample, I can use your help. If you are willing to help answer questions on this thread, please let me know. Here are the current members of the Verbal Reasoning/Writing Sample Team:

-lorelei (thread moderator): I am a Kaplan MCAT teacher. On the MCAT, I scored 15 on VR and 43 overall.

This thread will probably work a little differently from the science threads, since there are no formulas to study or reactions to learn. Bear with us as we figure things out.

-MoosePilot: MoosePilot has completed TPR teacher training. He scored 13 on the VR section of the MCAT, and 36 overall.

Members don't see this ad.

juiceman311 said:
That's a good idea, I'll try that.

Another question, is there anything that can be done to improve Natural Sciences? It's odd, but I generally am able to do fine on Humanities and Social Sciences, but the "Easy" ones eat me up...Maybe too much outside info?

Yeah, don't use outside info. I was surprised at that one, but it's what I was taught. Do you ever find you relax on the natural science passages and read it differently? Don't! Don't read it to enjoy or to get a little thrill out of the science content... just read it like you would the others.

juiceman311 said:
Another question, is there anything that can be done to improve Natural Sciences? It's odd, but I generally am able to do fine on Humanities and Social Sciences, but the "Easy" ones eat me up...Maybe too much outside info?

Outside knowledge is definitely a big no-no on the verbal section, whether on science passages or any other type. There have been times when some of my students have known enough about a passage topic to be able to argue the point with the author; don't do this. For the purpose of the MCAT, go with what the author says, even if you believe that s/he is full of, ahem, excrement. You are being tested on your ability to understand the author's argument and apply it to new scenarios, NOT on the objective validity of the argument. So like Moose said, stay focused on the point the author is making, and don't ever think about your own beliefs on the topic.

adiddas125, if you get a question or passage that is hard to understand, my suggestion is to save it for last, and do the easier ones first. Remember that every question is worth the same amount on the MCAT, so there's no advantage to answering harder questions correctly like there is on some tests like the GRE. It's great to hear that you are improving so much on VR. Best of luck to you next week. :)

Hey guys,

VR is really bothering me because I have not been able to improve very much...I do very well on the other two but have been getting pretty much 11s (one or two 12s and a lone 13 that i never got close to again). I really want to improve on this section, and I have many practice tests to take (maybe 15 or something verbal tests alone). Do you think that practice alone will make me better? I can't really pinpoint a problem, it's more like I just make some misunderstandings. It's really demoralizing because someone told me "I can't improve" and later took it back, but that's sticking with me and my scores since have decreased (barely 11).

Is sheer practice going to help? I can take two practice tests a day.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chris Benoit said:
VR is really bothering me because I have not been able to improve very much...I do very well on the other two but have been getting pretty much 11s (one or two 12s and a lone 13 that i never got close to again). I really want to improve on this section, and I have many practice tests to take (maybe 15 or something verbal tests alone). Do you think that practice alone will make me better? I can't really pinpoint a problem, it's more like I just make some misunderstandings. It's really demoralizing because someone told me "I can't improve" and later took it back, but that's sticking with me and my scores since have decreased (barely 11).

Is sheer practice going to help? I can take two practice tests a day.

I have two suggestions for you:

1. If you're consistently scoring 11+ on every section of your practice tests, you're ready for the real deal. Stop taking practice tests, and take the next week and a half completely off. Seriously. You sound like you are burning yourself out, and you need to be on top of your game on test day.

2. After you get your scores in October, PM me if you're interested in helping us answer questions for future test-takers on this subforum. We can definitely use your help.

MoosePilot said:
I think you left out a number. Can you rephrase?

I love that question! It's the whole point the author is trying to tell you. Read for content and any emotional aspects. Is he emotionally neutral or trying to evoke an emotion?

As for the thanks, you're welcome. If I helped you at all, it's worth any time I spent here. I want everyone to whoop ass on the verbal, especially if they're not applying to my number one school for the class of 2010! :D

As you can see I was out of it when I was posting last night. I meant to write that on the killer passage I get like 4/8 or 3/8 right. Which immediately brings me down a whole notch from a 10 to a 9. I find it really hard to figure out some of the meanings of the passages... Especially the AAMC ones, because even after reading it... I dont know what the hell they are talking about :laugh: What is your guy's techniques on the matter? I am going to take a verbal test again today. I will let you know if any thing gets better. [Crossfingers].

:)

That is part of the annoying part of verbal for me. I tend to understand the author's points really well, but when I answer questions I get questions wrong on semantics. It seeems like you don't always understand the passage yet are able to score a 10 just like me. You obviously posess intuitive test-taking abilities for VR. Perhaps reading a bit more of the stuff that confuses you would be a +. For me, I need to figure out how my thinking is flawed and tricks me into the wrong answer choices!!

adiddas125 said:
As you can see I was out of it when I was posting last night. I meant to write that on the killer passage I get like 4/8 or 3/8 right. Which immediately brings me down a whole notch from a 10 to a 9. I find it really hard to figure out some of the meanings of the passages... Especially the AAMC ones, because even after reading it... I dont know what the hell they are talking about :laugh: What is your guy's techniques on the matter? I am going to take a verbal test again today. I will let you know if any thing gets better. [Crossfingers].

:)

Hi everyone..... I think I have the handle of the Verbal... But I notice that the AAMC exams are much harder to read. How should I tackle this problem??? I dont have an idea what is going on when I read the AAMC passages... EK is much easier to u nderstand in my opinion. EEK! :eek:

I was wondering if you have any tips for the writing section. I have not done any prep whatsoever. I read loreli, advice at the beginning of this thread, but i'm still a bit concerned. any tips on how to tackle it?

mostwanted said:
I was wondering if you have any tips for the writing section. I have not done any prep whatsoever. I read loreli, advice at the beginning of this thread, but i'm still a bit concerned. any tips on how to tackle it?

Have you done practice passages? How did you score on them? What problems did you feel like you had with them? This is the type of information that's useful in providing personalized advice.

I am a bit confused on one question type. It starts off as "An important comparison was made by the author..." or "an important distinction was made by the author..."

when "comparison" is mentioned am I looking for when the author shows how things are similar and for "distinction" I am looking for things the author shows are not similar? Just looking for a way to reword these type of questions to make my life eaiser. Thanks!

lorelei by practice passages do you mean have i written anything to prepare for writting section? if thats wht u mean, i haven't. I am under the assumption writing section does not count for much, but i still wannt to do relatively decent.

lorelei said:
Have you done practice passages? How did you score on them? What problems did you feel like you had with them? This is the type of information that's useful in providing personalized advice.

hi

I wanted to ask lorelei QofChem or any of the other verbal reasoning titans if they vocalize in their heads while reading. I know how to answer the questions but I don't have time to read the last passage. Additionally, I feel that maybe if I vocalize I will understand the purpose of almost all the evidence the first time around so I dont have to reference. This not finishing creams my score because I need to speed read the second to last passage which I also get 2-3 wrong. Total 7 on the last 2!. I get time consciounsce around the second 10 question passage and end up doing horrible on that also while getting none or one wrong on the 1st. Thanks

tomias said:
hi

I wanted to ask lorelei QofChem or any of the other verbal reasoning titans if they vocalize in their heads while reading. I know how to answer the questions but I don't have time to read the last passage. Additionally, I feel that maybe if I vocalize I will understand the purpose of almost all the evidence the first time around so I dont have to reference. This not finishing creams my score because I need to speed read the second to last passage which I also get 2-3 wrong. Total 7 on the last 2!. I get time consciounsce around the second 10 question passage and end up doing horrible on that also while getting none or one wrong on the 1st. Thanks

I don't consciously vocalize when I read. I only do that when I'm really having trouble with the material. I find it slows me down and is just one step from reading aloud. I just read, let the material hit my brain, and maybe make some brief notes.

That's just me, though. Do what you've been doing. It's late to make a major technique change.

Members don't see this ad :)
tomias said:
hi

I vocalize in my head, had about a minute left at the end, and got a 13. Vocalizing won't kill you as long as you can speak and listen quickly.

tomias said:
hi

I'd have to say that I usually do not vocalize in my head while reading, unless I read something and it doesn't make sense to me the first time. Then I'd go back and vocalize. But you probably shouldn't do this too much on the MCAT if you can't do it quickly. If there's something that doesn't make sense to you the first time through, just keep going, because you may not even get asked a question about it. If you do get asked about it, THEN you can go back and re-read the relevant sentence or two that you had trouble understanding intially.

QofQuimica said:
I'd have to say that I usually do not vocalize in my head while reading, unless I read something and it doesn't make sense to me the first time. Then I'd go back and vocalize. But you probably shouldn't do this too much on the MCAT if you can't do it quickly. If there's something that doesn't make sense to you the first time through, just keep going, because you may not even get asked a question about it. If you do get asked about it, THEN you can go back and re-read the relevant sentence or two that you had trouble understanding intially.

Yeah! I'm like Q!! This makes me feel smarter already :p

QofQuimica said:
:p I should've added YOU to the poll, moosie. You're as crazy as they come. ;)

Nope, I'm all about rules. I'm not a mod, so no "crazy mod" status for me! :D

bump
stoleyerscrubz said:
I am a bit confused on one question type. It starts off as "An important comparison was made by the author..." or "an important distinction was made by the author..."

when "comparison" is mentioned am I looking for when the author shows how things are similar and for "distinction" I am looking for things the author shows are not similar? Just looking for a way to reword these type of questions to make my life eaiser. Thanks!

stoleyerscrubz said:

Sounds like a fine reword to me. Does thinking about it like that help you get the right answers?

I'd say "An important comparison..." would lead me to look at the things the author compared. If there's only two, as is likely, you're set. If there are more than two, I'd expect one of the comparisons to be trivial or unimportant to the meaning.

"an important distinction" would be setting something apart from something else.

Or in other words, I think you've got it.

When i use the word compare I'm thinking it means how are things "similar or different". In webster's dictionary "compare" has many meaning some of them state to show similarities but some say show how they are "different or similar". I seem to get confused on these questions so I'm thinking AAMCAS means "similarities" only. It was not until a couple of days ago that i started thinking this because I had a "comparison" question and a "distinction" question on verbal exam so i based my answers on that compare only means similarities and got the answer correct. Just trying to clarify this topic so it may net me 1-3 points on the real deal.

MoosePilot said:
Sounds like a fine reword to me. Does thinking about it like that help you get the right answers?

I'd say "An important comparison..." would lead me to look at the things the author compared. If there's only two, as is likely, you're set. If there are more than two, I'd expect one of the comparisons to be trivial or unimportant to the meaning.

"an important distinction" would be setting something apart from something else.

Or in other words, I think you've got it.

hopefully this hasn't been asked yet:

this question is specifically directed toward the Kaplan teachers. I'm reading the Verbal Reasoning/Writing Sample book and poses in a FAQ on pg. 117: "Is there a right or wrong answer to these essay questions?"

Kaplan explains: "No...don't feel pressured to agree or disagree with the statement".

Assume I disagree with the statement and in part I of the Three Step Strategy, I give an example of why I disagree. But for part II, I'm supposed to give a counterexample to the statement...however since I disagree, both my initial example and counter example lead to the same conclusion.

So...what's the deal? are we supposed to agree with the statement? the MCAT does not specifically say we do...since it just says "explain what you think the above statement means". however, since they ask you to provide a specifically angled counterexample, it would seem that they want you to agree.

In case that wasn't clear, say the prompt was "true leadership leads by example rather than by command. explain what you think the above statement means. describe a specific situation in which true leaders lead by command rather than by example". so i disagree, i think that true leadership leads by command instead and i give an example (e.g. modern generals). now for part II it basically asks me for another example, instead of a true "counter" example.

bubbachuck said:
hopefully this hasn't been asked yet:

this question is specifically directed toward the Kaplan teachers. I'm reading the Verbal Reasoning/Writing Sample book and poses in a FAQ on pg. 117: "Is there a right or wrong answer to these essay questions?"

Kaplan explains: "No...don't feel pressured to agree or disagree with the statement".

Assume I disagree with the statement and in part I of the Three Step Strategy, I give an example of why I disagree. But for part II, I'm supposed to give a counterexample to the statement...however since I disagree, both my initial example and counter example lead to the same conclusion.

So...what's the deal? are we supposed to agree with the statement? the MCAT does not specifically say we do...since it just says "explain what you think the above statement means". however, since they ask you to provide a specifically angled counterexample, it would seem that they want you to agree.

In case that wasn't clear, say the prompt was "true leadership leads by example rather than by command. explain what you think the above statement means. describe a specific situation in which true leaders lead by command rather than by example". so i disagree, i think that true leadership leads by command instead and i give an example (e.g. modern generals). now for part II it basically asks me for another example, instead of a true "counter" example.
when they say explain what the question means, they mean precisely that--not that your thesis must agree with it, but that you must present the idea that exists, whether you agree with it or not. I disagreed strongly with one of my statements, and opened by talking about the mentality htat exists which holds that particular view, all while laying no claim to that opinion. then I gave my counter-example, and showed that people having the opinion I descibed are utter fools who should bow down and worship me. (Slight exageration).

But you can explain the conundrum and present a view without claiming it as your own. Disagree if you want; you'll do fine. I agreed with one, and disagreed with the other.

stoleyerscrubz said:
When i use the word compare I'm thinking it means how are things "similar or different". In webster's dictionary "compare" has many meaning some of them state to show similarities but some say show how they are "different or similar". I seem to get confused on these questions so I'm thinking AAMCAS means "similarities" only. It was not until a couple of days ago that i started thinking this because I had a "comparison" question and a "distinction" question on verbal exam so i based my answers on that compare only means similarities and got the answer correct. Just trying to clarify this topic so it may net me 1-3 points on the real deal.

I don't have a good answer for you. I would use the normal definition of compare. I'm not aware that AAMC uses a different specific definition for the test and would doubt they would.

Does anyone (lorelei?) recommend using the odd man out strategy? It's not process of elimination, but rather grouping three likes and bubbling the fourth dissenting answer. When I encounter Qs that deal with hypothetical extensions (inferences), I often how no idea where to extrapolate from. So I go through the list and pitch answers against each other. Often 3 of the 4 seem to agree /support the same view. From TPR's answer keys, it seems like a good strategy. Comments on whether this strategy will pay off?

Also, I notice that the more I practice VR, the worse I do b/c I get hung up on details and can't read coherently, left to right, top to bottom. Blech -- I'm giving my eyeballs a saline bath!

So I got my verbal score back from August and was disappointed in it. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can prepare for the april sitting from this point. I'm going to try to use/learn the EK strategy when I start working on practice passage/tests, but what do you think I can do now to get myself ready? Thanks for the help!

uvapremed said:
So I got my verbal score back from August and was disappointed in it. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can prepare for the april sitting from this point. I'm going to try to use/learn the EK strategy when I start working on practice passage/tests, but what do you think I can do now to get myself ready? Thanks for the help!

Your question is kind of broad, but the biggest skill you need to learn to do well on VR is how to understand what the author is thinking. lorelei wrote some great posts about that. If you want to find them easily, take a look at the VR Explanations thread (stickied at the top of the page). If none of those posts answers your questions, you can post new ones here, and we'll try to help.

Hi

I've noticed that other Q&A threads post sample MCAT questions (no actual AAMC mcat questions) I have not reviewed the entire thread but do sample verbal questions get posted, I was looking for additional practice. Thanks.

medhacker said:
Hi

I've noticed that other Q&A threads post sample MCAT questions (no actual AAMC mcat questions) I have not reviewed the entire thread but do sample verbal questions get posted, I was looking for additional practice. Thanks.

So far, we haven't done that. Awhile ago* I posted a brief passage grabbed from the web, and went over how to analyze it with the help of key words (in other words, clues). People said that was helpful, so I've been meaning to do something similar again. Perhaps when I get around to it, I will also try writing some sample questions.

The thing is, writing verbal questions is (in my opinion, at least) much harder than writing sample questions for other topics - you have to find a suitable passage (not at all an easy task), analyze it yourself, and come up with good questions that test critical thinking skills AND a bunch of wrong answer choices. So if you're looking for any volume of practice at all, you're going to have more luck buying a book of practice passages. IF I devoted a fair amount of time to this non-remunerative project, I might come up with half a dozen passages before April, and (1) that's not very many, and (2) that's a big If.

*Yes, it was a long while ago, like six months. The first semester of med school is almost over (last final tomorrow) and I have a working computer again, so I'll be around SDN a bit more. And I have a philosophy book or two on my reading list for winter break, so I'll probably manage at least one sample passage in the next few weeks. (I find that people usually have a lot of trouble with philosophy passages - I'd be interested in suggestions for other topics though I can't guarantee that I'll actually seek out anything on, say, art history.)

lorelei said:
So far, we haven't done that. Awhile ago* I posted a brief passage grabbed from the web, and went over how to analyze it with the help of key words (in other words, clues). People said that was helpful, so I've been meaning to do something similar again. Perhaps when I get around to it, I will also try writing some sample questions.

The thing is, writing verbal questions is (in my opinion, at least) much harder than writing sample questions for other topics - you have to find a suitable passage (not at all an easy task), analyze it yourself, and come up with good questions that test critical thinking skills AND a bunch of wrong answer choices. So if you're looking for any volume of practice at all, you're going to have more luck buying a book of practice passages. IF I devoted a fair amount of time to this non-remunerative project, I might come up with half a dozen passages before April, and (1) that's not very many, and (2) that's a big If.

*Yes, it was a long while ago, like six months. The first semester of med school is almost over (last final tomorrow) and I have a working computer again, so I'll be around SDN a bit more. And I have a philosophy book or two on my reading list for winter break, so I'll probably manage at least one sample passage in the next few weeks. (I find that people usually have a lot of trouble with philosophy passages - I'd be interested in suggestions for other topics though I can't guarantee that I'll actually seek out anything on, say, art history.)

Thanks Lorelei, I will try to give you some suggestions as well :thumbup:

Lots of bumping going around in here.

Underlining and noting keywords is a disturbance to my reading the passage. I have tried physically mapping a passage, underlining keywords and have found that it only serves to disrupt my thought process as I continue reading. I feel, and my practice scores reflect, that i am better off reading through the passage in its entirety and synthesizing the main idea as I progress. Not only do noting the keywords disrupt the thought process, they also slow the reading down. This post is not a sopabox platform on which I boast about my awesome method of VR strategy (which is neither awesome nor boastworthy) but is intended to ask one question: why keywords? isn't the main idea more important? And, aren't the keywords simply vehicles to address a point? Sure the terms are indicative of a digression or contradiction, but what other transitions or words are worth noting? I prefer a pseudo-mental map and a heavy amount of re-reading to navigate the VR section. Any thoughts?

floridakppr said:

Underlining and noting keywords is a disturbance to my reading the passage. I have tried physically mapping a passage, underlining keywords and have found that it only serves to disrupt my thought process as I continue reading. I feel, and my practice scores reflect, that i am better off reading through the passage in its entirety and synthesizing the main idea as I progress. Not only do noting the keywords disrupt the thought process, they also slow the reading down. This post is not a sopabox platform on which I boast about my awesome method of VR strategy (which is neither awesome nor boastworthy) but is intended to ask one question: why keywords? isn't the main idea more important? And, aren't the keywords simply vehicles to address a point? Sure the terms are indicative of a digression or contradiction, but what other transitions or words are worth noting? I prefer a pseudo-mental map and a heavy amount of re-reading to navigate the VR section. Any thoughts?
Three things: I agree with you about purpose/main idea being more important. Key words are helpful for mapping, but they are a means, not an end. Also, I have to keep bumping the threads once each month if no one posts, or they will disappear off the page and people won't be able to find them. Finally, welcome to SDN, my fellow Floridian. :)

floridakppr said:

Strategies are pretty individual, and they depend on your particular strengths and weaknesses. Personally I rarely marked up passages. I apparently process the keywords automatically - when I am working with students, I have to scan the passage and think about what the keywords are (it's like explaining to my mom how I know how the movie's going to end: if I stop and think about it, I can come up with the signals, but I didn't necessarily say to myself "hey, foreshadowing!" at the time).

However, I do recommend that people try noting keywords, because they're important in grasping the structure of the passage, and that is really key (so to speak). Knowing when the author is supporting his/her pet idea, when s/he's contrasting it with something else, when there's an argument that's being built up step by step - those are very important to understanding the passage. It's the difference between knowing that the passage is about historical boats, and understanding that it's explaining how the transition from wooden to steel boats caused a change in naval strategy. (Or whatever; I made that up.)

Keywords are also important when you're figuring out the author's bias. When I'm teaching, oftentimes students will know what the passage was about, but they have trouble figuring out the author's take on the subject. You're never going to read "Personally, I think X" on the MCAT; keywords are helpful here too. And again, I'll go through and point out words like "clearly": why would the author use that word? The sentence makes sense without it, so it must be some sort of emphasis. Why is the author emphasizing that? Etc.

Obviously, not everyone will find that circling keywords is going to be helpful, and that's fine - maybe you do it automatically like me, or maybe it's so much of a distraction that it keeps you from focusing; either way, if it doesn't work don't do it. The important thing is being able to read for structure and slant.

lorelei said:
Strategies are pretty individual, and they depend on your particular strengths and weaknesses. Personally I rarely marked up passages. I apparently process the keywords automatically - when I am working with students, I have to scan the passage and think about what the keywords are (it's like explaining to my mom how I know how the movie's going to end: if I stop and think about it, I can come up with the signals, but I didn't necessarily say to myself "hey, foreshadowing!" at the time).

However, I do recommend that people try noting keywords, because they're important in grasping the structure of the passage, and that is really key (so to speak). Knowing when the author is supporting his/her pet idea, when s/he's contrasting it with something else, when there's an argument that's being built up step by step - those are very important to understanding the passage. It's the difference between knowing that the passage is about historical boats, and understanding that it's explaining how the transition from wooden to steel boats caused a change in naval strategy. (Or whatever; I made that up.)

Keywords are also important when you're figuring out the author's bias. When I'm teaching, oftentimes students will know what the passage was about, but they have trouble figuring out the author's take on the subject. You're never going to read "Personally, I think X" on the MCAT; keywords are helpful here too. And again, I'll go through and point out words like "clearly": why would the author use that word? The sentence makes sense without it, so it must be some sort of emphasis. Why is the author emphasizing that? Etc.

Obviously, not everyone will find that circling keywords is going to be helpful, and that's fine - maybe you do it automatically like me, or maybe it's so much of a distraction that it keeps you from focusing; either way, if it doesn't work don't do it. The important thing is being able to read for structure and slant.
lorelei, I'm going to copy this post and put it in the explanations thread. Thanks for writing it. :thumbup:

gujuDoc said:
Q, Lorelei, and Nutmeg,

Can each of you comment on whether you think reading extra materail will help for the Verbal?? As Q knows, I'm taking the MCAT in August to improve my Verbal score and have several several practice materials.

Would I be better just concentrating on the practice materials??? Or do you think there is any benefit from trying to read some different kinds of materials like the Economist magazine, natural history books, philosophy books, and mythology or history books??? I've been reading on the side, at the suggestion of my own former MCAT instructor who did the same. Do you think reading these outside materials and trying to analyze them MCAT style is helpful or not??? I'm still gonna keep reading the natural history stuff by Gould just because I actually got into those books and find them interesting, but I don't know if reading in general is going to help me for MCAT purposes so wanted to hear your take on this.

Exam Krackers states that it is only good to do if you have a few years before you take the MCAT. What's your take??? Thanks
Hmmm, you have a very limited amount of time between now and August. Ideally, it would be great if you could do nothing but read dense books between now and then, but presumably you have other things you're doing, right? So you need to make the most of the time you have left, and study as efficiently as you can, because August will be here before you know it. I guess I would say that you should continue reading the books because you're enjoying them, and while you read them, try to constantly keep making explicit 1) what the author's argument is, and 2) how the author is defending/building his argument. If you look in the explanations thread, lorelei wrote some really good posts about doing this. But I would suggest focusing more of your time and effort on practicing passages because of how close the time is getting. I guess I mostly agree with EK on that, although I'd never tell someone they should STOP reading. It will certainly not hurt you to read more, and if nothing else, it will make you a better-educated and more well-rounded person. :) I'm interested to see what lorelei and nutmeg think too.

gujuDoc said:
Thanks. Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I just wanted to hear your alls thoughts cuz the review course books all have conflicting thoughts on this matter.
There is a great saying I read somewhere: Ask two people, get three opinions. ;)

I'd have to qualify my answer by saying I don't know the first thing about the practice materials, because I never used them. Personally, my approach was to just read a lot. What I liked was to read things from two different perspectives on a single topic. I think seeing things from two perspectives is a better way to focus on the arguments made by the authors. One of the things I think everyone should do is to read things that you don't agree with, and then look at the structure of the arguments put forth.

As a general rule, it seems like one of the primary ideas behind VR is that the articles you get will be trying to support an argument with a concatenation of facts. What they want to see is that you can recognize that the purpose of the article is not merely to inform you of the facts, but to used those facts to support a case. The author wants to convince you of something; not merely inform you. So what is important is recognizing what purpose the author has in writing their article.

If you can get a good understanding of how their evidence supports a thesis, most everythig falls from that, because then you can understand the purpose behind every sentence, and a larger understanding of how each sentence fits into the larger context. As a result of that, you can better infer what meaning is behind particular words in a sentence.

What most questions seem to be about is understanding these sorts of dynamics: how the paragraph fits into the theme, how the sentence fits into the paragraph, and how the word fits into the sentence.

The Economist is great, but the economist comes from one perspective, for which they make no apology. If you read point/counterpoint debates, you can see how one person deconstructs the argument of their opponent.

However, the advantage is to the practice passages if your issue is time. I know that VR was really the only section where I felt a serious time-crunch, and with practice passages, you can really focus on reading quickly and picking up the relevant information.

Good luck. :luck: :luck: :luck:

I also think that both practice and reading are helpful.

Actually, I think that my argument-analyzing skills have been honed by reading and participating in internet debates. (Not at SDN though; no counting this as studying!) Smart blogs are good to read, especially the ones that debate back and forth.

Since you've been reading Gould, I'd suggest picking up a book or two by Richard Dawkins and/or Daniel Dennett. They both like to argue a little bit with Gould's ideas. Dennett in particular tends to get philosophical (since he's actually a philosopher not a biologist) and also takes apart all sorts of people's arguments, so I think he'd be good reading.

Also, I like to suggest reading well-written arguments that take a side you disagree with - or at least arguments where you know enough about the subject to evaluate the person's claims. This makes it easier to look at the piece and think about what the author is assuming and what the positions s/he takes imply.

But I don't think you should just cram in as much reading as you possibly can. If you're able to find books that you somewhat enjoy, then you can have reading as a leisure activity that also makes you smarter, which is ideal. Otherwise, keep reading, but probably focus more on practice passages, because knowing how to attack the questions can be at least as important as analyzing the argument.

Hello there,

I was hoping some of you could help me out...

I took the MCAT last Aug and landed with a 6 on the VR--I did only 7 passages, missing 13 questions that I bubbled D. This brought my cumulative score down by a lot.

I have changed my apprach this time around in that I am using the EK approach (read straight with MI in mind), not TPR (circle/annotate). I have been doing the 101 EK exams consistenly, and been scoring 9-11. HOWEVER, I am at a 8 passage rate and by Apr 22nd, I want it to be a 9 passage rate. I have got my accuracy down to the point htat I get no more than 3 wrong per passage. I know if I do all 9 passages I can hit an 11, which is my goal.

Any suggestions on how to improve my speed so I can do all 9 passages? I generally spend 3-3:30 reading, and TOO much time on questions (6-8 min). I want to spend 8-9 min/passage; right now it is around 10-11 min/passage.

I try my best not to keep going back to the passage but sometimes I can't help it. Also, many times I re-read the answer choices or the question. But I think my biggest problem is spending too much time going back to the passage. EK says this should be your last resort---don't go bakc unless you absolutely have to. Any thoughts?

thanks a ton! I am willing to do ANYTHING to bring up my speed...

Hi, I think ppl have might have asked this before, but do you guys know or have any template for the ws? Thanks.

QofQuimica said:
nassir and as1024-

There are two threads at the top of the subforum called the VR Explanations thread and the WS Explanations thread. I think you will find some helpful suggestions in those threads. :)

Hi, I looked through the ws threads. I found good strategies and techniques, but I didn't find anything related to the templates I was talking about. Do you have any ideas? thanks.

as1024 said:
Hi, I looked through the ws threads. I found good strategies and techniques, but I didn't find anything related to the templates I was talking about. Do you have any ideas? thanks.
I guess I am not sure what you mean by a template for WS then. The instructions themselves basically give you the outline to follow: explain the statement, give the counterexample, explain when the statement does or does not hold true. Every essay should follow that outline.

Hi -

I wanted to know if on the last year's exam there were two passages with 10 questions on them. So far on the AAMC practice exams 5 and 8, I've noticed that I freak out on those two passages and score very poorly. They tend to be the abstract passages with a lot of garbled language (or at least it seems to me). I hope this will be a trend since I'll save them for last