Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

VERBAL Success!!

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by shaqkillz451, May 16, 2007.

1. shaqkillz451

shaqkillz451 7+ Year Member

Dec 27, 2006
    USA
    Has anyone gotten verbal scores close to how they were doing on the practice (AAMC or Kaplan)....I'm getting 9's and 10's and the only thing that might make me postpone from taking the may 31st mcat is this verbal. My aim is a 10....plzz, ppl who actually got verbal scores paralleling their practice scores elaborate?:(

Confused

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. burningsky

burningsky 5+ Year Member

Sep 10, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    MDApps:
    I got a 10 in the verbal section in almost all my practice tests and I got a 10 on the real thing. I wouldn't postpone your test because you're worried you will do worse on test day.

4. Addb

Addb Custom User Title +1 2+ Year Member

May 29, 2006
    Tampa
    Verbal is pretty much a crapshoot. The curve is never consistant, and it all depends on how far "in the zone" of reading between the lines you are. I wouldn't postpone. You can only prepare so much for Verbal, then you have to just trust yourself.

5. sexyman

sexyman 5+ Year Member

Mar 1, 2007
    I did 3 points lower than usual, but i wouldnt recommend postponing.

6. Vanguard23

Vanguard23 5+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    I've gotten mostly between 9-11's on the Verbal once I started using the highlighting feature on the CBT's. BUT, that score is usually hindered mostly by the fact that sometimes I've hit passages that I just 'don't get' and essentially drop the ball on it and miss all the questions while most of the questions on the other sections are right.

7. voirlesetoiles

voirlesetoiles Focus. 5+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    The same thing happens to me, the questions I get wrong are usually in the same passage or two. Eh.. some passages are boring or on really unfamiliar topics, I guess with practice I can "make myself interested" in those.

I would recommend taking the test if you're satisfied with the practice test score. The only thing that could adversely affect your score is if you get nervous on test day and can't focus, which is probably something you'll have to overcome even if you take the test later.

8. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    MDApps:
    Same here.