Verbal to written offer delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceOnTheDune

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m new to posting, but I’ve been following topics on SDN for several years.

I’m looking for some input. I am currently working as a licensed psychologist at a (non-academic) medical group. End of summer, I applied for a dream job at a large AMC in a different state. After multiple interviews, I received a verbal offer with a great salary, with a tentative start date in late winter/ early spring 2023.

Three weeks later, I have yet to see anything in writing. I reached out to the department director last week, who said the written offer is with HR and I should receive it soon. Still nothing.

I’m starting to get a little antsy. Are delays this long normal? Do I have reason to be concerned, or do I just need to chill and wait?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, never mind. I received the written offer not long after posting this!

Reactions: 6 users
It was writing this post that did it.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!

For any future people w. this issue....it's *really* common for things to get held up at a few diff points for an AMC job. The Chair of the dept needs to sign off (and usually the director/your direct boss), and they are often in meetings and/or not available, so their assistant is usually stalking them w a stack of paperwork to sign. Other times funding (especially if some research $'s are mixed in) needs to be reviewed elsewhere at the Uni, so that can take some time. Funding can come from multiple pots, depending on your position, so each part needs to have their designated person(s) sign off.

Sometimes it could be ensuring credentialing will run smoothly. Typically a committee reviews every new hire as a final step in the credentialing process to have privileges at one or more of the hospitals associated with the AMC. I had a job where I needed to be credentialed in "the main house", cancer hospital, and the rehab hospital. If a credentialing committee at one or more place is delayed....then that will hold things up. From what I've seen....there is usually a pre-review by the faculty search committee and HR, and then once all of that is done, then there is the "official" review by the committee, which seems like a rubber stamp, but I guess some hires might have some issues that would need to be reviewed.

So yeah....fun time.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!!

For any future people w. this issue....it's *really* common for things to get held up at a few diff points for an AMC job. The Chair of the dept needs to sign off (and usually the director/your direct boss), and they are often in meetings and/or not available, so their assistant is usually stalking them w a stack of paperwork to sign. Other times funding (especially if some research $'s are mixed in) needs to be reviewed elsewhere at the Uni, so that can take some time. Funding can come from multiple pots, depending on your position, so each part needs to have their designated person(s) sign off.

Sometimes it could be ensuring credentialing will run smoothly. Typically a committee reviews every new hire as a final step in the credentialing process to have privileges at one or more of the hospitals associated with the AMC. I had a job where I needed to be credentialed in "the main house", cancer hospital, and the rehab hospital. If a credentialing committee at one or more place is delayed....then that will hold things up. From what I've seen....there is usually a pre-review by the faculty search committee and HR, and then once all of that is done, then there is the "official" review by the committee, which seems like a rubber stamp, but I guess some hires might have some issues that would need to be reviewed.

So yeah....fun time.
Thank you for your response. This is helpful information!

Congrats!!

So yeah....fun time.

Beat me to it.

OP, welcome to the dark side. Three weeks is near breakneck pace and the fastest anything will ever be done for the remainder of your time in an AMC. My last offer letter took 2 months. The one before that took 4.

Oh, and if you will be considered faculty, be warned that even if you start tomorrow you won't "officially" be faculty until the board approves, which likely won't happen until summer. Don't worry, it is entirely ceremonial and doesn't actually keep anything from happening.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats!!

So yeah....fun time.
Yes, it takes forever sometimes. Admin staffing issues were a problem before the pandemic started and now they are worse. To all potential future faculty out there, HR does actually suck pretty much wherever you work. Set your expectations low.

It's been 15 years since my phone interview with the VA when he said they'd call in a few days to schedule the in-person interview. I'm still waiting. Is that unusual!
Maybe now that you posted about it, the call will come. Keep your phone on you today 😂

• Haha