Verbal Virtuoso (DO IT!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WestHaven626

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys, fellow SDner here with probably the most important piece of advice that i can ever give anyone.

i have taken the mcat multiple times in hopes of getting my verbal score up.
i had been scoring 8's and 9's and no matter how much i studied i couldn't do well.

it took me about long time to realize that the verbal exam is not read a passage a day for the rest of your mcat practice but it's a different way of thinking about verbal.

in a nutshell, i tried
TBR, Princeton Review, EK 101 , Kaplan, Gold Standard, and all of them honestly were helpful in climbing my score up to at least a 9 and sometimes a 10.

yet what i HAVE to tell you as my last piece of advice for the mcat is to get this book called Verbal Virtuoso (http://verbal-virtuoso.com/default.aspx)

i had never heard of them until i started googling the internet because i had used up ALL of my resources for verbal practice.

what i found in this book was something that i wish was told like 10 years ago, because it has helped me THINK differently for verbal.

there's that passage mapping, skimming first, reading the questions first, and whatever floats your boat but what this book focuses on is how to think about the verbal section and it acknowledges different practice techniques not just ONE HARD CORE "kaplan" way or PR way. (other companies that I give props to for accepting that there is no right method in verbal are TBR)

anyway, this book should be used BEFORE you start any studying for verbal.
it literally walks you through how to think on the test and how to understand sentences and what they really mean. its not new information but its information that is given to u in a way that starts clicking....

it just works.

i never worked for them and i never heard of them, im just giving you my final advice for the mcat.

i got an 11 on the verbal in the january 29 mcat and if you see the thread for mcat jan 29 they said the verbal was IMPOSSIBLE...but i scored higher than many people who were already scoring 12s on their verbal mcat practice scores.....it was just simple.... during that test i remembered what this book told me and it actually worked.

save yourself the stress people.
just stop doubting if its fake, bla bla bla, it's real. and it works, and i would do injustice if i didnt let you guys know about it.

im goin to medical school on the west coast and with the 11 in the bag, i really impressed the schools.

but honestly, i just like giving credit where its due and mcat verbal virtuoso should be on your priority list for killing the verbal section. also reading JAMA (journal of american medical association (only the commentary or editorial section because that's where the some mcat sections come from)..

good luck guys.
 
Last edited:
caution_computer.jpg


This product seems to have a questionable reputation. Discussion of it can be found here. I would strongly encourage anyone considering this product to read that thread prior to purchasing anything.

Some notable quotes:

JSU said:
I tried it. Tanvir is a great guy who is willing to answer all of your questions (though it may take a little while for a response). The method is nice, but it is not a martian trick which instantly makes VR a breeze. Also, the 4 practice exams that are included are a bit easy (though the curve is harsh). That being said, the method does help you concentrate a bit more on the task at hand.

In short, it may be worth while if you use it along with other VR material like TPR and EK. But I would NOT use it as your sole tool for VR.

IndianVercetti said:
Are you talking about http://verbal-virtuoso.com?

It looks very shady to say the least. Unfortunately, many people lack street smarts, and get taken advantage of by crooks and pranksters. Here aer some reasons I'd be suspicious of this website:

1) First of all, just look at the website itself - if it has 100% money back guarantee plastered all over the front page, that should raise your suspicions.

2) They give testimonials on the same front page of the website. Okay, this might be legit, but have you ever seen testimonials posted with a photograph of the individual also? It looks like those photos were obtained by google image search.

3) Scroll down to the bottom - the website is privately owned by someone named Tanvir Fayaz Kabir. It also says this website is privately hosted through Microsoft Office Live. So unless this guy is really an MCAT guru who is producing this MCAT prep material single handedly, it's very questionable.

4) Note how there is VERY little info given on what you are actually buying.

5) Click on Contact Us- and you'll see an address. Seems fair enough right? Put this address into Google Maps, and you'll see it's just a private residence on a dead end lane... doesn't look like a corporation to me.

Always do a little investigative work to avoid getting ripped off.

BerkReviewTeach said:
Searching here came up with no hits, which probably means it's not that good. The problem with verbal reasoning products, is that there are several magic bullets being advertised for a section of the exam that takes work and practice more than anything. Stick to the ones that get the best feedback. EK verbal gets a great deal of love around these parts, so it's pretty safe to assume that everything else is chasing EK in verbal.
 
Last edited:
I read that thread. Sure doesn't sound like a scam to me. Maybe the materials do or don't compare to EK/TPR. Even if they don't, it doesn't mean it's a scam. JSU is/was a pretty regular poster here and offered, imo, evidence that it isn't a scam.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read that thread. Sure doesn't sound like a scam to me. Maybe the materials do or don't compare to EK/TPR. Even if they don't, it doesn't mean it's a scam. JSU is/was a pretty regular poster here and offered, imo, evidence that it isn't a scam.

I recall a few of the posters coming back after trying it and saying it was a large waste of money. Perhaps it's not, but it sure seems to me like that was the end of the discussion. Wasn't that thread eventually locked to prevent people from seeing it and buying this product? Maybe I'm mixing up two different unknown verbal products but I was pretty sure this was one SDN basically deemed a scam. If not, I apologize. I'll gladly change my reply to the OP if this can be verified to be a legit and valuable product.
 
Again, I haven't used it, so I can't comment on whether it's valuable. The speculation about it being a scam in that thread seemed to be just that, speculation, based primarily on the lack of any prior information on SDN about it. I didn't see any people post disgruntled about the product - there were a couple who really played it up (low postcount posters, suspicious) and JSU (regular poster) who said it was alright, nothing earthshattering. The thread was locked though.

VV seems to just be an independent person trying to provide a product he made and feels is worthwhile.
 
I wouldn't want to be one of the guinea pigs for VV, but I hope it ends up being a legit. It'd be a great for those that burned through all 190 or so combined passages that's in EK101 and TPR.
 
I wouldn't buy it either way, but i'm still not convinced it isn't a scam. His style of writing sounds alot like the tabir guy here. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=677202
Also, even if it was good, would you claim that it was the best? He makes it sound like it's way better than tbr, ek101 and tpr combined. His whole post sounds like one big advertisement.

I personally would not recommend it, given the other more tried and true options on the market. If someone was having a lot of trouble and felt like $50 was worth the risk of trying something relatively unreviewed, I would tell them it's hard to say whether they'll get anything out of it, but I wouldn't strongly discourage it.

Just to be clear, I'm speaking specifically about the product, not this post. I haven't looked at the OP's post history to evaluate his credibility because I frankly don't have that much a stake in the game to spend my time on it. It certainly raises a red flag that it may be an advertisement, which would warrant closing this thread. It doesn't make the product a scam though. An SDN post is good cheap advertising for an individual looking to get the word out about his product, be it within ToS or not.
 
Advertisement? For what? I dont care if u buy it or not, i dont make a single penny from it.

im just tryin to help people and spread what works because that's the whole point of SDN....and for anyone to think its a scam they have 100% right to do so.......

What i get pissed off about is if someone really NEEDS that extra help in verbal to boost their score, and thinks everything is a scam including this product.

i think this book is the best. its the best because it was a great fit for me. maybe its just me and my personality but why can't i just say how i feel and be honest about it without worrying about it sounding like a scam? anything can be a scam here, but its not like i am FORCING u to buy anything. and here we have people judging my writing style to see if i sound like the author, maybe i should give out my social security number and have a full background check too...im just say what i feel.....i dont want people to buy this thing and i hate it, at first i didnt wanna buy it either but i was desperate, and my score was simply not improving and i figured i spent about 2 grand on the mcat so whats another book but i shouldnt really be explaining myself here about if its a scam but more about how i feel about it.

ive tried all of the verbal material from all the companies and of course they help! each company has put in countless hours of hardwork to come up with legit verbal passages for us.....anything helps....reading any magazine will help (which btw I suggest people read JAMA unless they think JAMA is a scam too lol..(but seriously read the JAMA editorial section - that's a great way to get an author's tone

but anyway i just gave u my opinion on what i think is the best because it truly was the best for me cuz it finally gave me a result that i wanted...im not sayin this book is everything that u ever wanted, it just felt like i saw the whole picture with this book...and that's just how i feel, i can be completely wrong..but i think that's the whole point of a discussion is to give my opinion on what i think would boost ur verbal and thats also the point of being doctors, to help.

lighten up guys, its not like if u dont get this product your doomed for verbal, its like finding the right pizza that u wanna eat and there's all kinds of flavors and sizes and i happen to like this one. thats all.

good luck out there.
 
Last edited:
Any one Please tell me how to buy this Verbal Virtuoso. I went to Kabir Acadamy ( guy who wrote the book) and purchased it and they never sent the book or the link to it. I had to reclaim the money through the paypal. Has anyone have the copy for VERBAL VIRTUOSO? If you do please email to [email protected] and I am willing to offer a deal for it. All I need to buy a copy of Verbal Virtuoso. Thanks Guys
 
So I was getting pretty desperate, and decided to purchase this guy's workbook. Still haven't heard from him nor received the workbook. Will def have to cancel this transaction.
I say stay away from him.
 
there is a pdf floating around on google if anyone wants to check it out. i read through it and did some of the problems in it a while back. i thought it was a decent verbal resource. it has 4 practice exams, so more practice if you are out of other material. but it definitely isn't the magic key to a great verbal score
 
I was too a little sceptical at first but was desperate to increase my score, upon reading the verbal virtuoso book and trying their methods, it definitely helped me. It was just a different way of approaching the verbal passages (unlike the other methods I had been taught)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
forgot to mention that my scores have significantly jumped into the mid double digits. My only regret is not purchasing this book sooner. For anyone with verbal trouble...I highly recommend you give it a go!!!