Verify Hours Worked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Circumnavigate

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a non-traditional student and I have worked full time at a number of different places while taking prerequisites. How do I verify full work hours when I apply to medical school?

I used the search function and have heard a number of different answers.

They do not accepts W2 or tax returns?

Do you provide this information on your Personal Statement and during the interview?

At one point I was self employed, how would I provide proof for that?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very rarely does anyone verify hours. As long as it's reasonable, you can provide an estimate if you don't have the exact figures.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd cross that bridge in the very unlikely event that you come to it. For now put something ballpark accurate.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know how I could prove I worked those hours other than my own word.

Last edited:
The problem is when you work for Uber you are listed as an Independent contractor, I do not know how I could prove I worked those hours other than my own word.

Who at the company knows of your work for them more than anyone else? Who have you interacted with most as an uber driver? Reach out to that person and ask them if you can list them as a contact.

Documenting how many hours you worked for medical schools is based on the "honor system." You shouldn't provide evidence that you actually worked odd jobs unless you are asked to provide proof.

The problem is when you work for Uber you are listed as an Independent contractor, I do not know how I could prove I worked those hours other than my own word.

Is there a direct supervisor that you are accountable to? If not, then you could just list yourself as the contact and explain in a sentence or two in the description. But chances are, when you're filling these in, you'll have many ECs and this one you might not even include in the final list.

I had two places I worked that I did not have contact information available (they shut their doors down/closed). I just put Not available and it never came up.