Verifying that files are complete....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HKDO08

Ivan the Terrible
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
When you see that a payment has been cleared from you bank account, is it safe to assume that the school has all your secondary materials, including letters? (I send all my letters together in ONE packet) Or do some schools take your money then wait for the rest? I'm asking this because I do see that checks have been cleared, but I haven't received an e-mail or letter in the mail confirming that my file is complete from some schools. But, I rather not have to bother admissions people if I don't have to.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not assume that them cashing your check means your file is complete. That is why most online application staus checks have seperate payment/secondary/LOR sections on them. Usually the school sends a letter/email saying your application is complete.

Some schools see money and run right for it :) Much like me searching my couch for lunch money :)

Hey, don't worry about bothering the admissions people, it's their job to help you in this process. I sat down last week and went down the list and checked with everyone, and I'm glad I did. Also you learn alot about how the whole process work and you can get a good sense of what's going on with them all.

I just made sure I was super polite and patient, and everyone was very decent in return.

Give it a try, because we are really the only ones looking out for our own interests, and it would stink to find after their deadline that something was missing - as the lady at Dartmouth mentioned sometimes happened ...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I second that it's not safe to assume ANYTHING in this process! It's best to double check, but in the least annoying way you can, like using a school's online status checker if they have one. If this wasn't available, I always used e-mail, because I thought it was more convenient for admissions people since they could respond in their own time and not have to answer on the spot.

I think it's especially a good idea to verify that your applications are complete in light of all the screw-ups that happened a few years back when AMCAS first went online, and which seem to continue to happen as schools become more and more electronic. I've heard lots of stories about applicants who were supposed to be offered interviews, but somehow never received the e-mail notification, and no paper copy was mailed out because schools are increasingly using e-mail only. You don't want to be in that situation months down the line, kicking yourself for not sending a quick e-mail, or checking an online status page. ;)

DOUBLE CHECK. This is how I found out application materials at my top choice schools had been lost/not received. One school had me wrongly listed as an MD-Ph.D candidate, and thus my file appeared "incomplete". Some adcoms will be harried/rude, but others are actually pretty nice about it.

You guys gave me great advice. Thank you! I will be calling all my schools to double check things...