Vermont? Have they joined the opt-out list?

Started by W222
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

W222

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Read an article last night in the ASA newsletter that said the state board of nurses expanded their scope and it covers CRNAs. Is this true?
 
Amazing how anesthesiologists don't understand how this works. In most states, crnas can already practice solo. They are regulated by state boards of nursing. This has absolutely nothing to do with opt out states, which only regulate billing medicare for solo crna work.

In review, nurses are already doing it all over the country in private practice and other highly lucrative situations.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Eh, I am not sure about this. I am sure that there are plenty of solo nurses in non opt-out states though.

Better believe it. Plastic surgeons, obstetricians, oral surgeons etc all hire crnas as employees and pocket the difference in anesthesia billing. Very very common in cash pay settings.
 
Better believe it. Plastic surgeons, obstetricians, oral surgeons etc all hire crnas as employees and pocket the difference in anesthesia billing. Very very common in cash pay settings.

Maybe, I was not sure who the lucrative party was in the scenario you described. I think there are plenty of lackey nurses out there in plastic surgery offices, etc unfortunately.
 
Better believe it. Plastic surgeons, obstetricians, oral surgeons etc all hire crnas as employees and pocket the difference in anesthesia billing. Very very common in cash pay settings.

From what I've heard this is only common in plastic surgery. Oral surgeons tend to do the sedation themselves or have dental anesthesiologists in their group. Plastic surgeons are the only real cash only business in this country. Nobody is going to the obstetrician and paying cash for a leep or D&C (I guess maybe for a TOP, but I wouldnt want to been involved with it anyway)
 
Vermont is a pretty rural state-there are plenty of CRNA only practices and have been for some time. I would bet, many of these groups would have trouble even in this market attracting CRNAs let alone an anesthesiologist (I saw an ad online once for 150K a year with Q2-3 call in a location that defines the term BFE).
With funding for critical care access hospitals about to be cut across the board, I would think that even these jobs will be on their way out...