Very confused and sad about UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last year I was interviewed and wait-listed and UMDNJ although I applied very late (late october), this year even though I applied early, I already recieved an email saying that they cannot offer me an interview at the time and that my application will be placed on hold (which I think basically means rejection), did anyone else recieve this email. :mad: I am so pissed. I don't think my stats are bad at all, maybe my gpa is too low, what the hell is going on?

Members don't see this ad.

Well......it is early and your scores dont seem bad at all. It could be because they are dealing with a few huge scandals right now and dont have time right away for interviews. I didnt get anything from them yet.

I dont know man, the contents of the email doesn't sound like they are busy:

"After careful review of your application, the UMDNJ-New Jersey Dental School Admissions Committee has determined that you cannot be offered an interview at this time. However, the Admissions Committee will reconsider your application at a later date.

If you wish to remain under consideration for admission, please reply to this within two weeks of the date of this letter. If you have not responded by the date indicated, your application will receive no further consideration for admission to the Class of 2011.

No further information on the status of your application is available at this time. You will be notified in writing of any change in the status of your application."

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm....maybe its the GPA. Give them a call and ask them specifically why they put you on hold.

you seem to have some solid scores there.. your gpa is well within the average range and your dats are above average. i would call the dean and discuss the problem with him/her and ask if they would reconsider.

I'm a first year at UMDNJ right now and from what I know, there has been a great increase in the number of apps in recent years. Usually, the admissions committee try to have the class size to around 85 students per year. For my year, we have 98 students (the biggest class in the history of the school), far more than the admissions people's estimation of students accepting the offer of admission. My guess is that from this year the admissions committee are gonna accept fewer (and hence interview fewer) students in order to match the ideal size of ~85.

But I wouldn't give up if I were you. If you REALLY want to attend UMDNJ, you should write a letter to the committee stating that, and your reasons why. From my understanding, the admissions people are looking for students who are really certain that they want to attend UMDNJ.

For the last cycle, the interviews lasted until late February, so it's still early in the game.

i think a good question is did your stats change from last year, i mean your DAT score is good but your science GPA is a lil on the low side for UMDNJ, especially if you didnt improve it from last year...at the same time i cant say im not surprised about your application i never actually heard of an application beign placed on hold...best of luck with that...maybe it shows the strength of applicants this year who knows