Very important link to oppossing CRNAs from practicing pain management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinchandBurn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents-

This is a second link. It's provided by the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians.

This one is more focused actually and is aimmed at CMS, your local congressmen, and senators. Please fill it out. It takes less than 10 seconds.

http://www.capwiz.com/asipp/issues/alert/?alertid=61589631&type=ML

Pass it on to med students, residents, attendings, fellows...

Members don't see this ad.

Ladies and Gents-

This is a second link. It's provided by the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians.

This one is more focused actually and is aimmed at CMS, your local congressmen, and senators. Please fill it out. It takes less than 10 seconds.

http://www.capwiz.com/asipp/issues/alert/?alertid=61589631&type=ML

Pass it on to med students, residents, attendings, fellows...

Done. Sent one through the ASA's link earlier today, too. Just e-mailed all 65 of my co-residents about it as well.

Done. Sent one through the ASA's link earlier today, too. Just e-mailed all 65 of my co-residents about it as well.

tell them to use their home address and then their hospital/business address. Thanks! It's our future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took 30 seconds. Ladies and Gentlemen please get your colleagues on board here. Send them a link and ask them to take 30 seconds.

So now that the barbarians are at their gates, they're getting worried.

But let's look a little deeper here...These clowns have:

1. Shown no interest in keeping the CRNAs out of the heart rooms.

2. Don't advocate for keeping CRNAs from learning TEE and regional procedures

3. Haven't lobbied against CRNAs and their ever-expanding practice aspirations.

The field is in tatters and these fools are only now getting worked up?

I think I'll keep to training residents and minimizing CRNA inroads via shunting them to the back wall during a case.

**** these guys.

I think I'll keep to training residents and minimizing CRNA inroads via shunting them to the back wall during a case.

**** these guys.
I think the current leadership is on the right track. This did not all occur in just a few years. This is something that has been developing slowly over decades. The early leaders were asleep at the switch. I think the leaders over the last 5 years or so know the score, but it may be too late.

**** these guys.

You are right.
The battle is lost,
A crna can prescribe narcotics like any kind of nurse practitioner.
And if they can prescribe narcotics - say by by to the field of pain medicine.
Because this is all about - 75% of the income comes from narcs.

Done.

What I don't understand is why performing anesthesia is not considered practicing medicine? I'm not referring just to IPM, but to the practice of anesthesia as a whole. Who came up with this idea?

Done.

What I don't understand is why performing anesthesia is not considered practicing medicine? I'm not referring just to IPM, but to the practice of anesthesia as a whole. Who came up with this idea?

Chalmers-Francis v. Nelson, although this was back in the 1930s and was a ruling by a state court, not the Supreme Court.

Perhaps it's time that the ASA call into question that anesthesia is both the practice of medicine and nursing. Why not file a petition to have this ruling overturned, even take it all the way to the US Supreme Court if called for (if possible). If we are to say that anesthesia is the practice of nursing then why not say that about urology or neurosurgery, etc.? How is what we do any different? We take care of patients as sick, if not sicker. If the Supreme court rules that anesthesia is the practice of medicine that will change everything. If they rule that it's the practice of medicine and nursing then we will end up where we are. Do you guys agree? Am I missing something? Why not go to the heart of the matter when dealing with this issue?

Perhaps it's time that the ASA call into question that anesthesia is both the practice of medicine and nursing. Why not file a petition to have this ruling overturned, even take it all the way to the US Supreme Court if called for (if possible). If we are to say that anesthesia is the practice of nursing then why not say that about urology or neurosurgery, etc.? How is what we do any different? We take care of patients as sick, if not sicker. If the Supreme court rules that anesthesia is the practice of medicine that will change everything. If they rule that it's the practice of medicine and nursing then we will end up where we are. Do you guys agree? Am I missing something? Why not go to the heart of the matter when dealing with this issue?

You guys should fight this tooth and nail. Seriously, why would a CRNA who has not gone through med school have the same rights as an attending anesthesiologist? How does that make sense? If the gov/supreme court feels anesthesia is merely a nursing thing, why not end anesthesia residency period? IT's absurd to have a system like this.

You guys should fight this tooth and nail. Seriously, why would a CRNA who has not gone through med school have the same rights as an attending anesthesiologist? How does that make sense? If the gov/supreme court feels anesthesia is merely a nursing thing, why not end anesthesia residency period? IT's absurd to have a system like this.

Done and shared with my friends.

The CRNAs will never win this battle. Just remove yourself and think as a patient - would you want your anesthesia administered solely by a nurse? Hell NO.

Even as a naive pimple faced 11th grader I knew the difference between a CRNA and an anesthesiologist. I remember at this age going in for an upper endoscopy and getting super nervous about not seeing an anesthesiologist in the room, only nurses and techs. The gastroenterologist actually had to come in from another room to calm me down.

Yes, they may win turf battles here and there (and we must curtail these wins) but I know that, in the end, people know the difference and they want their care from an anesthesiologist.

The catch is that licensing of health care providers is a state, not a federal matter. It's up to each state's legislature to define a scope of practice, or authorize state boards of medicine and/or nursing to define scope of practice for their groups. There is no federal license for physicians or nurses, nor any other health care provider.

The CRNAs will never win this battle.

Yes, they may win turf battles here and there (and we must curtail these wins) but I know that, in the end, people know the difference and they want their care from an anesthesiologist.

I really do consider myself a "glass-half-full" kinda guy, but I don't entirely believe the above statements. Especially the "people know the difference" part. A girl at the coffee shop I study at once asked me what I did for a living; she told me that she wanted to be an anesthesiologist, too, but didn't want to go to have to do nursing school first.

MANY people have NO IDEA.

I'm doing my OB rotation right now, and CRNAs do ALL the procedures. Haven't seen a single anesthesiologist yet. What the hell is going on? It's completely ridiculous how much these nurses (they are still NURSES and nothing can change that) are allowed to do.

I'm doing my OB rotation right now, and CRNAs do ALL the procedures. Haven't seen a single anesthesiologist yet. What the hell is going on? It's completely ridiculous how much these nurses (they are still NURSES and nothing can change that) are allowed to do.

At my hospital, CRNAs put in all epidurals for laboring patients. Anesthesiologists are only involved for C-sections. This is prevalent in MANY small, rural hospitals in America. They are allowed to do this with complete autonomy; they are supervised by no one.