Very Non- Trad Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pastorphysician

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a non-trad with ministerial background. I've done my undergrad in seminary and now i worked as a youth pastor.
After reading a book about Dr.Albert Schweitzer, its inspire me a lot to enter medicine. since he has similar background with me, a theologian change to physician so it encourage me to see there is an opportunity in medicine from religious studies background. However, i also do take notice that it was years ago when Dr.Schweitzer did his medical education and it was not in US Med-School (with all the MCAT and stuff)

since our seminary is part of a big university, i took some bio class for the sake of interest. I took General Bio I, II, General Chem I, II, Ecology, Environmental Conservation, Economic & Systematic Botany, and Statistics
i didnt get any A's on any those subjects, but overall plus my classes in Seminary, My GPA still fell on 3.2 range.

I do volunteer work in AIDS Hospice Ministry, and also teach English plus Hygiene/Sanitation to villagers in Thailand. But i dont have any clinical or research experience in medicine or any shadowing stuff.

I also being the Residence Assistant during my day on college.

My age is 25 now, and i haven't take MCAT yet

I just want to know if there any other person on SDN have the similar track like me? Or someone that you know?

Should i take some more pre - req class? I know many med-school require at least one year of Calc-base Physics and Organic? How and when should i take it?

My plan is to be an FP or Ped, and if possible Fellowship in Adolescent Medicine (since i love kids and young people)

For all of your contribution i would like to say thank you
God Bless

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm a non-trad with ministerial background. I've done my undergrad in seminary and now i worked as a youth pastor.
After reading a book about Dr.Albert Schweitzer, its inspire me a lot to enter medicine. since he has similar background with me, a theologian change to physician so it encourage me to see there is an opportunity in medicine from religious studies background. However, i also do take notice that it was years ago when Dr.Schweitzer did his medical education and it was not in US Med-School (with all the MCAT and stuff)

since our seminary is part of a big university, i took some bio class for the sake of interest. I took General Bio I, II, General Chem I, II, Ecology, Environmental Conservation, Economic & Systematic Botany, and Statistics
i didnt get any A's on any those subjects, but overall plus my classes in Seminary, My GPA still fell on 3.2 range.

I do volunteer work in AIDS Hospice Ministry, and also teach English plus Hygiene/Sanitation to villagers in Thailand. But i dont have any clinical or research experience in medicine or any shadowing stuff.

I just want to know if there any other person on SDN have the similar track like me? Or someone that you know?

Should i take some more pre - req class? I know many med-school require at least one year of Calc-base Physics and Organic? How and when should i take it?

My plan is to be an FP or Ped, and if possible Fellowship in Adolescent Medicine (since i love kids and young people)

God Bless

man, power to you.

Wish I had something constructive to add, but I'm rather new to this process myself.

Personally I would take the rest of my pre-reqs as soon as I felt able to put forward my best effort. I need to take those as well, and I'll have to freshen up on my calc in particular.

If you're going to do this, now is the time. Take the rest of your pre-requisites and start studying for the MCAT immediately, while its still in your head. Yes, you will need 2 semesters of physics, 2 semesters of o-chem, probably some labs, and you may want to take biochem too. Then comes the MCAT. Give yourself a couple months to prepare, and take a prep course if you can afford to part with $1500+.

Do not leave the US for school if you can help it. As a non-trad, the DO schools may interest you, so explore all your options thoroughly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for it man. I am currently a nurse, in the process of applying to medschool (have one acceptance). My plan is to go into missions, as a medical tentmaker in a third world country. I almost put off medical school an extra year (already took one off) to go to a two year seminary program, but decided against it.
My advice: Over the next year: Semester One: Physics 1, Organic Chem 1.
Semester 2: Physics 2, Organic Chem 2. After completing these classes, begin reviewing for MCAT and take it when you are ready. You will need to review Bio, Physics, Inorganic and Organic Chemistry. Practice writing to get better at essays. If you preach sermons, write it out word for word, not just outlines. The sermon structure would work well for essays, I believe. After taking the MCAT you will have a year to do the application process without taking classes. I would take Bio-Chem during that time, it is not on the MCAT, but med schools like to see you take it and it will actually help during medical school (from what I hear).
Good luck, and keep us Non-trads updated.

Hello,

God Bless

The oldest student in my medical school class was a 53-year-old graduate of Yale Divinity School who had been a minister for many years before application to medical school. He did well, graduated and now is practicing Family Medicine on a Native American Reservation in South Dakota. He had a strong desire and the stamina of 20 people.

You need to get that uGPA up as high as possible. You also need to take all of the pre-med coursework (one year of General Chemistry with lab, one year of Organic Chemistry with lab, one year of General Physics with lab and one year of General Biology with lab). Also, you probably need to get a copy of the current edition of Medical School Admissions Requirements and make sure that you have taken any additional required coursework for the medical schools that interest you. You may need a semester of Calculus, genetics or Biochemistry depending on the school.

The specialty that interests you is meaningless in terms of admission to medical school. You need to get into school and then decide on a specialty. More than 90% of medical students change their minds about specialty after attending medical school so at this point, you need to make sure that your academics are as close to the matriculant average as possible (uGPA ~3.6 and MCAT 30) and that the rest of your application to medical school is as strong as possible (LORs, extra-curricular activities, personal statement). Choose your schools wisely and broadly and apply when you have all of the necessary work completed. Good luck!

I know many med-school require at least one year of Calc-base Physics and Organic? How and when should i take it?

Hi, just to clarify, as everyone has said you will need to take physics I and II, but it does not have to be calculus-based physics. It's your choice whether to take calculus-based or algebra-based physics.

Calculus-based physics is not necessary, just 2 semesters of physics with lab. All your prerequisite sciences must have lab components. Biochemistry, calculus, and statistics are prerequisites at some schools, so you may want to look into that. if you get A's in these classes and a solid MCAT score, I think you will be in good shape. Your background is interesting and sincere, and that will get you looked at if your numbers are solid but not spectacular. There are a few religiously affiliated schools (Loma Linda, Georgetown, ...?), and those may be places you should look at specifically.

Also, I think it would be a good idea for you to do some shadowing. Since you have some doubts, look for a religiously affiliated physician that's a fairly recent graduate, and see how he runs his practice and what being a dr. is all about. There is some debate on these forums whether shadowing is useful, but those are people trying to look at it from an adcom's eyes. The point of shadowing is to learn what a physician does and if you are a good fit for it. Since you posed that question yourself, it's a good idea. :)

One of my closest friends started medical school after getting an M.Div. and working for two years as a Catholic chaplain at a college in New Hampshire. She is now an M3, and she loves medical school.

Hello,

Well-you obviously have some very strong, higher powers on your side! You should be fine.

Not to be a downer, but I think you glossed over an important point. You said you didn't get any A's on your pre-reqs, and the divinity classes were keeping your GPA up. AMCAS calculates a BCPM GPA (GPA of only biology, chemistry, physics, and math). If this GPA is very low (sub 3.0) you probably won't be competitive. It is very important that you take a variety of math and science classes with good grades to show the ADCOMS at med school you can do the work.

It will take faith and perserverance-two characteristics where you should shine!

Good luck

Hello,

God Bless

Some schools are friendlier to non-trads than others. The friendly ones are more likely to overlook a less-than-stellar GPA for someone with unique experiences who would add a different dimension to the class. However, you definitely need to try and get some good science grades if you can and probably take a prep course for the MCAT to maximize your grade there too.

Good luck...

Pastor Physician

I am the same way but I was in the military for nine years as a medic. Always wanted to a doctor. I am on my way there. I take the MCAT January 08. My best advice for you is to constantly take the practice test. That bit of advice I received for a doctor. Good Luck.

Michelle

Does Four Years of Intense Jesuit Mind Melding count?

LOL sorry I never had a ministry but I like the band.. and I went to a Jesuit High School ... and all joking aside... I'm semi religious but I believe perhaps your calling is beyond my own...

I would think perhaps some of the great programs for med students on their off sessions where they travel overseas may be something to look into if that's the sort of thing you feel called to do.

I've considered it if I get to the point where I can honestly evaluate the option.. which from what i gather is not guaranteed.

That all being said... I wish you the best .. and follow your path.. If God has pointed you this way, it must be for a reason.

Live Well and have a Great Christmas.

BK

i'll just re-iterate what others said about trying to get that science gpa up as high as possible.

quick anecdote, one of the physicians I interviewed with at SIU was actually a pastor/physician as well. we talked about it during my interview there and he said the reason he had moved to Springfield was because a church there was looking for a bi-vocational pastor (small church that coudlnt afford to pay him a salary)....
He did his residency in Emergency Medicine at Northwestern and now is a faculty member at SIU Medical School and continues to pastor his church. I thought it was cool, he was the first pastor/MD i'd ever met, but he assured me that "there are a few of us, not a lot but we're out there"

good luck to you!

Thank you for all of your replies,

Honestly, i felt more encouraged after reading all of the replies here. However, i still have to put all in reality perspective knowing that my GPA is so - so and also i need to score high on MCAT, Thy will be done.

My Science GPA so far is 3.00 and i know its another place i have to improve (a lot :oops:) and thank you for the suggestion of going D.O TexasTriathlete, i was thinking about that too.

So i think, the next step i have to do now is to complete the pre - req before going to MCAT right? emt30119, i follow you on this :oops:
i like your idea of putting up sermon in more written way to help me improve my writing skill. i will do it!

My question though, is it possible to take just two pre - req from local college?

and for the LOR, is it possible that i get it from my Seminary Professor?

God bless you all, and may you prosper other in your ministry of medical care..

yes, you can take a couple pre-reqs at a local college/university...that's what i did. as long as your money is green, the schools i've gone to dont mind. you'd just be a 'student-at-large'

you problably could have a seminary professor write you a letter of recommendation. i doubt that you could substitute it for your science recs though, but you should be able to use at as your non-science academic letter.

Most schools, as a minimum, require 2 science and 1 non-science. Some are more flexible, but I would aim for that. Your seminary professor would be good as a non-science recommender, as I am sure he/she knows you and your work ethic on a much more intimate level.

If this is something you really want to do, you can do it. It just will take time and effort. There are quite a few people who go into medicine after theology/religion majors.
That being said, I would caution you that medicine is very different today than it was back in the day of Schweitzer. It is much more of a business, and you spend almost as much time dealing with paperwork and insurance companies as you do actually helping patients. I suspect Schweitzer might not have become a doctor in today's US landscape. So pick your idols carefully. It would be a good idea for you to shadow an FP or Ped or two first, before launching down this path. If you like what you see, go for it. If not, at least you learned it before uprooting things.

First, taking o-chem and physics and acing them would go a *long* way to enhance the credibility of your app, as they're seen as the hardest pre-req classes by many. Do whatever it takes to ensure this. Also, I think it really helps your cause that you are interested in primary care, especially with your background in theology... it can only help you to really play up that angle. Good luck :)