very upsetting.....any help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys…so this is basically the story and I think I have posted something like this before but all I want is some honest answers once again because everything just seems soooo awfully sad right now. I messed up my freshmen and sophomore years in college badly….badly meaning I had to redo D’ s and at that point when I did redo those, I didn’t get A’s either…I got C’s or C+’s. and sophomore year I got some F’s. and my gpa now…well you guys can all imagine… well since I have realized why these low grades occurred, I am on my way in redoing the rest of the classes in which I have the D/F. I am redoing one of the classes during the summer right now but when I went to class I felt soooo discouraged. Like it didn’t matter anymore if I got an A. So I know, basically now I need to start getting like A’s in EVERYTHING. science and non science classes…including the redo’s. I know that except sometimes I this feelthat even if I do well in the years left to come in college, is it going to be worth it? It’s a scary and very upsetting when I think that its all ruined now and now theres no hope for me to get into med school. And I mean is it possible to get in like if I apply after my junior year /senior year. I don’t really want to do post-bacc or anything regarding that but who knows I might have to…would I?

Well anyways Im sure you all have heard similar situations like this, probably not as bad but I appreciate you all reading this and if you have any advice/comments it would be greatly appreciated because I don’t want my hard work to go to a waste. If nothings possible then might as well change career goals as much as I absolutely would not want to :( ….thanks……..

Members don't see this ad.

Hope14 said:
Hey guys…so this is basically the story and I think I have posted something like this before but all I want is some honest answers once again because everything just seems soooo awfully sad right now. I messed up my freshmen and sophomore years in college badly….badly meaning I had to redo D’ s and at that point when I did redo those, I didn’t get A’s either…I got C’s or C+’s. and sophomore year I got some F’s. and my gpa now…well you guys can all imagine… well since I have realized why these low grades occurred, I am on my way in redoing the rest of the classes in which I have the D/F. I am redoing one of the classes during the summer right now but when I went to class I felt soooo discouraged. Like it didn’t matter anymore if I got an A. So I know, basically now I need to start getting like A’s in EVERYTHING. science and non science classes…including the redo’s. I know that except sometimes I this feelthat even if I do well in the years left to come in college, is it going to be worth it? It’s a scary and very upsetting when I think that its all ruined now and now theres no hope for me to get into med school. And I mean is it possible to get in like if I apply after my junior year /senior year. I don’t really want to do post-bacc or anything regarding that but who knows I might have to…would I?

Well anyways Im sure you all have heard similar situations like this, probably not as bad but I appreciate you all reading this and if you have any advice/comments it would be greatly appreciated because I don’t want my hard work to go to a waste. If nothings possible then might as well change career goals as much as I absolutely would not want to :( ….thanks……..

#1 All hope is NOT lost, but you need to grind hard from here on out.

#2 If you want to fulfill your dream (assuming becoming a physician is your dream career) you have to make sacrifices, more sacrifices than the next premed. Sorry, but that is the nature of the beast.

Nothing is ever handed to you, you have to go out and take/earn. Nothing in life worth having comes without working hard or fighting for it. Maybe your circumstances aren't the best, DEAL WITH IT. It is somewhat of a rude awakening, but you need to snap out of it or think about another career!

I had a GPA of around 1.5 before I became a serious student. I am now applying with a 3.42 overall and a 3.72 GPA. I grinded hard (20+ credit hours), worked full time for the last 3 years, but these are the types of sacrafices that you must make. If you can't find the motivation to get serious as a premed, what makes you think you will be able to finish med school + a residency????

I don't mean to be too hard on you, but you really need to find motivation. I am not the only one to crawl up out of the academic grave either, so if I can do it, you can do it, but you have to want to do it. Good luck :luck: !

BTW, I recommend staying away from SDN until you start racking up on A's and A+'s!

Hardbody said:
#1 All hope is NOT lost, but you need to grind hard from here on out.

#2 If you want to fulfill your dream (assuming becoming a physician is your dream career) you have to make sacrifices, more sacrifices than the next premed. Sorry, but that is the nature of the beast.

Nothing is ever handed to you, you have to go out and take/earn. Nothing in life worth having comes without working hard or fighting for it. Maybe your circumstances aren't the best, DEAL WITH IT. It is somewhat of a rude awakening, but you need to snap out of it or think about another career!

I had a GPA of around 1.5 before I became a serious student. I am now applying with a 3.42 overall and a 3.72 GPA. I grinded hard (20+ credit hours), worked full time for the last 3 years, but these are the types of sacrafices that you must make. If you can't find the motivation to get serious as a premed, what makes you think you will be able to finish med school + a residency????

I don't mean to be too hard on you, but you really need to find motivation. I am not the only one to crawl up out of the academic grave either, so if I can do it, you can do it, but you have to want to do it. Good luck :luck: !

BTW, I recommend staying away from SDN until you start racking up on A's and A+'s!

thanks for the help.....i understand completly......

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope14 said:
thanks for the help.....i understand completly......

Yeah, try hard. Give them all you have. Prove them and yourself that you can do it. There's no easy way for this situation. I'd like to share with you a proverb: "the harder you work, the luckier you'll get."

Good luck.

NewNick said:
Yeah, try hard. Give them all you have. Prove them and yourself that you can do it. There's no easy way for this situation. I'd like to share with you a proverb: "the harder you work, the luckier you'll get."

Good luck.
good luck use that motivation to excell in your future coursework and focus on doing well in mcats, and extracurr.

i suck academically as well. maybe not quite that extreme but lots of B's and C's. but the difference seems to be that im not going to get discouraged and give up. yea sure my gpa isnt ideal, but that doesnt mean my mcat also should be poor.
so the point being, working hard, and working smart will always pay off. also it depends on how badly you want to succeed. if i am rejected this cycle, i will take a year of redos and apply again... and again and again :) hope you get the idea.
good luck... and i would just like to tell you that nothing in life is irrevokable... at least not yet for us :) haha.

thank you sooo much guys.....i feel better now....

and yea if anyone wants this bad enough...they can get it!!! :)

I had so many retakes of D's and F's I could barely make sense of my aacomas application. I think I had 12 retakes in all. I also had all C's in Gen Chem and Physics. The thing is I had gotten all A's with a few B's in my last year of my BA and the two years of MS. I ended up with a 2.99 overall GPA and a 3.2 science, I am now a second year student at western. This is with a 26 mcat.

I don't think that all hope is lost but you'll certainly have to do a post-bac and possibly even a Masters program. This may only take 2-3 years after graduation to do both or 2 to do one or the other. I think that that's a small price to pay to correct for some serious mistakes in order to pursue a profession that you're passionate about.

Perhaps you could also get more realistic answers from your school's pre-med advisors, current med students, etc...Don't give up!

Hope14 said:

Hope14 said:

If you can get your GPA above 2.75 which seems like a lot of cutoff for DO schools, you'll certainly have a chance. You will also need to do well on the MCAT to offset the low GPA.

I had two F's that I retook before I became a serious student. My GPA was not good freshman or sophomore year, but I worked extremely hard after that and raised up my GPA for AACOMAS to 3.48. Now I'm starting at NYCOM next month. It can be done!! But you must work harder than you have been. Never feel sorry for yourself; push yourself to attain your dream. If you really want to make it to medical school and you push yourself to your true potential, you should be able to get in. Make sure you study hard and do well on the MCAT. :luck:

I had a two F's my first semester in college, followed by another F, a U (same as an F) a couple of D's later on and about a dozen W's. Insert 2 years out of college, dire illness, enlightenment, and then return to college followed by all A's and B's. AMCAS calculated my BCPM as 2.9 something, and my overall as like 3.09 all because of 4 classes during the first 2 years [if you discounted those, it was up around a 3.4-3.5].

AACOMAS however, calculated my BCPM around 3.6, and my overall around 3.65 (I'd give exact numbers but I don't remember, nor care).

Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. Just start racking up good grades now and you'll be solid. :thumbup:

Good luck!

I suggest that you look over the reasons why your not achieving as well as you can. Whether it is your study skills, your pattern of thought or even your health - to figure out WHY and correct it is the answer.

Slitherin said:
I had so many retakes of D's and F's I could barely make sense of my aacomas application. I think I had 12 retakes in all. I also had all C's in Gen Chem and Physics. The thing is I had gotten all A's with a few B's in my last year of my BA and the two years of MS. I ended up with a 2.99 overall GPA and a 3.2 science, I am now a second year student at western. This is with a 26 mcat.

wow, that is hope.....man, that makes me feel really good, I ended out college barely sub 3.0, but busted my ass last year as a post bacc at a university and did my pre reqs...ended out with a 3.7 GPA, and looking for ~30 on the mcat this august! western is my first choice!

Slitherin said:

interesting..........niceee

poly800rock said:
wow, that is hope.....man, that makes me feel really good, I ended out college barely sub 3.0, but busted my ass last year as a post bacc at a university and did my pre reqs...ended out with a 3.7 GPA, and looking for ~30 on the mcat this august! western is my first choice!

goodluck!!!!!