Very weird NBME 6 score....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warriordoc911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I did the extended NBME 6 last week and I got 490/220. But the weird thing is that I only got 106/200 and it gives this 220 score. I actually counted all the wrong questions. I guess I must have answered the difficult questions and missed the easy ones. Guys this proves why the scoring system of this exam is so unpredictable. You can still get great score by just answering the hard questions. Well I still need to get the easy questions in order for me to get my dream score which is 230+. May be we wish for a difficult exam so that we can collect more points.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys,
I did the extended NBME 6 last week and I got 490/220. But the weird thing is that I only got 106/200 and it gives this 220 score. I actually counted all the wrong questions. I guess I must have answered the difficult questions and missed the easy ones. Guys this proves why the scoring system of this exam is so unpredictable. You can still get great score by just answering the hard questions. Well I still need to get the easy questions in order for me to get my dream score which is 230+. May be we wish for a difficult exam so that we can collect more points.

Oh really? You're saying all questions don't carry equal weightage on the real exam?
If this is the case, would it make sense to anyone if actually the easier questions carried more weightage than the harder ones? Can this be possible?

I never really tried to understand what these scores mean...both two digit and three digit...since I already got the impression that people tried so hard to figure but didn't go beyond the realm of speculation. But that was just an impression. Maybe some of you really know what the scores mean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know for sure whether problems are given different weighting on the real step 1?

Ok guys I actually made a mistake recording the wrong questions, there is an overlap between categories, for example I had 6Qs wrong in BS and 8Qs wrong in Biochem yet 2 qs were the same in both categories. so now eliminating the overlap, i got 116/200 which yielded 490/220. Well still it makes no sense to me how I ended up 220 with this poor score. But as I said before it must be due to questions having different points.

Hello guys,

So I don't have an official source because I haven't had time to look but I believe that ALL questions count the exact same. However, the same amount correct won't always correlate to the same score as it is graded on a bell curve.

I think that what this tells us is that even these unofficial NBME's shift over time based on the performance of those taking it.

Just my thoughts!