Vet Club Officer Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone, I am a club officer this year and I was wondering what you do to thank lecturers, profs who help with wet labs, etc for their time. A thank you note, bottle of wine, dinner? Also any suggestions on how to find speakers?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I am a club officer this year and I was wondering what you do to thank lecturers, profs who help with wet labs, etc for their time. A thank you note, bottle of wine, dinner? Also any suggestions on how to find speakers?

We used to get these for our guest speakers if they were non-UMN people. A thank-you note is a given; you should do that for any of them.

At our school, we give them thank you cards with a picture of the club members on the front and have everyone who attended and the officers all sign it.

We also reimburse parking costs and some travel expenses, but unfortunately do not have the money for much else. Some clubs get funding for donations to the presenter, but at our school only certain clubs qualify.

In my experience, our presenters/guest speakers/etc were happy with a thank you email and card, and paid travel expenses. They realized we are broke college students, in a club with limited funding, and have all returned year after year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you cards are perfect :) as for finding speakers, I'd suggest starting with your club advisor or professors. Tell them you'd like to invite a guest speaker on such and such a topic and do they have any recommendations.

I'm an officer of three clubs and president of one so I get to be involved in a decent amount of gift giving. If we know the speaker at all, we try to tailor it to them. For example, our adviser for AAEP loves pink and purple tones so I think we got her a purple polo shirt last time. When in doubt, a Starbucks gift card does the trick.
When I was in undergrad and in DEM, one of our officers ended up getting our executive board photo printed on a card and enclosed a gift card in that, which I thought was nice.

Thanks! Those are all great (and helpful) suggestions. I will definitely get thank you notes sorted if nothing else.

Also I wish my uni had such a swanky pottery mug as UMN.