Vet med student in need of help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashilb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any vet med school that's not too hard to get into?

For example a school that doesn't have too many complicated Pre-Reqs and accept student with 3.0 gpa.

Please let me know guys..
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As a general rule, "not too hard to get into" vet schools don't exist. With large numbers of applicants and limited spots, competition and hard work is part of the game.

A 3.0 GPA is not a death sentence for your application, but you are going to have to put in a lot of work on other areas of your app to balance that.

As far as uncomplicated pre-requisites...it depends on your definition. If organic chem, physics, bio chem, and other such courses fit into that category for you, I can't think of a single vet school that does not require at least the three classes named above. There are schools that have fewer pre-reqs than others, but as a general rule, basic bio, basic chem, o-chem, physics, bio chem, and usually some kind of math/statistics are pretty standard to name a few.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moved from the Veterinary Forum. OP, the Pre-Veterinary forum is where you can find information about getting ready for, and applying to vet school. You'll probably be much more successful in getting answers here.

To the OP: Although it's often easiest to get into your in-state vet school, if you aren't successful, you could try the UK or Caribbean schools as well as out-of-state vet schools. I think that the UK and the Caribbean ones are oftentimes easier to get into if you don't mind leaving the U.S.

The best way to get this information is to make a list of the schools you're interested in and then browse their application/admissions sections of their websites. This will give you the info on what pre reqs are needed for the schools you are interested in and they often give stats on what the average GPA is for the entering class.

A 3.0 GPA isn't the worst ever - it kind of depends on where you went wrong - are you a consistent B student or have you had some serious ups and downs? What kind of GPA do you have in your last 45 credit hours? Some schools consider this more heavily. What is the difficulty of your course load? What is your overall science GPA, also another aspects some schools look at.

Many schools offer application and transcript reviews to help you get a handle on your application strength and where you can make some changes.

I am an applicant with a GPA on the lower end of things - so I have made efforts to have a strong showing with my most recent classes, taking a more difficult course load. My animal experience is extensive and varied. I participate in volunteer activities and other non academic activites to make my application more welll rounded.

GRE scores need to be at least average or above average if you GPA is on the lower end - looking for something 1200 or above.

http://www.aavmc.org/Publications/VMSAR.aspx
The above link is for the yearly publication that comes out with the specifics for many of the vet schools in the US, Canada, Europe, and Australia.

As a general rule - the Carribean schools will accept lower GPAs more easily than others - but that is not always the case and you have to look into the steps that need to be taken to then be certified to practice in the US.

Vet school is extremely competitive and the average vet takes 2-3 application cycles to gain admission. Its a long road of hard work - but (fingers crossed) its worth all the hard work in the end if being a vet is your calling.

As a general rule - the Carribean schools will accept lower GPAs more easily than others - but that is not always the case and you have to look into the steps that need to be taken to then be certified to practice in the US.

Will note here that Ross and SGU were recently AVMA certified and no "steps" need to be taken for you to practice in the US - you just take the NAVLE and you're fine.

Will note here that Ross and SGU were recently AVMA certified and no "steps" need to be taken for you to practice in the US - you just take the NAVLE and you're fine.

Good point! I knew about Ross but not SGU
Thanks!