Vet School Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you are deadset against people assuming you are a nurse, wear scrubs with either veterinary drugs--ex. flea & heartworm prevention--or get scrubs with a hospital name/logo.

However, I am moderately offended that people would assume nurse instead of doctor. I get that human medicine would come first in most people's mind rather than vet med. And I know that not all doctors wear scrubs in reg practice, but still...

Members don't see this ad.

Meh, they assume I'm a nurse too, so I don't think it's a sexist thing.

You just don't see many doctors wearing scrubs. On the other hand, pretty much every nurse wears scrubs.

:laugh: see "moderately offended" instead of "so offended that I'd like to punch someone."

Yeah, I know that most nurses wear scrubs in practice and most docs don't. More docs wear scrubs in hospitals though... Oh well... No real solution here.

Members don't see this ad :)
People also assume nurse for me, and I'm male. I think it's less gender and more that I look too young to be a doctor.

For those who are annoyed at the scrubs=nurse stereotype, you'd tend to be really annoyed with me. If I see somebody walking around in public in scrubs, I tend to assume they're a CNA. Most doctors/nurses I know either don't wear scrubs, or change out of them as soon as possible.

My dad's practice has a doc (MD, not DVM) who only wears scrubs at work. He apparently changes from "street scrubs" that he wears at the office to surgery scrubs when he gets to the hospital. He's also known for wearing them off-duty around town. Apparently his whole wardrobe is just scrubs, lab coats, 1 suit for conferences, and some nicer casual clothes for going out to eat.

In his defense, the hospital washes scrubs for free, so he (almost) never has to do laundry.

:laugh: I only laugh because this will be me some day! I am all about comfort! And since some clients would think "less" of me for wearing jeans and t shirts, I'll just get rid of that problem and wear scrubs ;)

Personally, I love the idea that I can wear glorified PJ's to work everyday. What do I wear today? Scrubs. Tomorrow? Scrubs. Forever? Scrubs. No more effort put in to dressing. :thumbup:

I'd change ASAP too if I had human juices all over me! * shudders * :barf:

I was never too grossed out by it. Although, when I was working as a funeral director, I do remember hubby and I debating on whether or not I should tell the drycleaner what had been spilled on my pants.

Its always funny what grosses people out. My mom's an OB/GYN nurse practitioner. I think it's disgusting she has to deal with yeast infections, stds, and pregnant people. She thinks its disgusting that I'll let a dog lick my face.

I totally agree. People are gross. I could express anal glands on a dog all day long before I'd even check a person's pulse.

All this talk about being mistaken for nurses reminded me - when in Central America, everyone assumes a person in scrubs is a doctor, and they won't take "No, soy veterinario" for an answer.

One day, after clinic got out, the vet team went souveneir shopping in our scrubs b/c we didn't have time to change, and this guy pulled one of the girls aside and started asking her all these questions about his diabetic mother. She kept trying to excuse herself, but he wouldn't let her get away until one of the local vets busted in and said "sorry, unless she's a cat, we can't really help."

Another guy showed up at the clinic after we closed and started shoving his national health insurance card in my face, yelling that it was his right as a citizen to get treatment. I kept trying to tell him that I didn't treat people, and he just looked at my nametag (which clearly said "veterinary volunteer" on it) made a "yeah right" face, and went on shouting.

So maybe we're lucky that people don't think we're doctors, lol.

These "mistaken professional identity" stories remind me of something that happened to my friend's mom. Her husband sells emergency vehicles, and one time they had to transport an ambulance to a buyer some distance away. So this woman decides to drive it over to deliver it, but on the highway they came upon a traffic jam in a collision scene. No emergency vehicles had arrived yet, so people started running over to the ambulance she was driving and yelling at her to get out and do something. She had no medical training and insisted that she was just delivering the ambulance for her husband, but bystanders assumed that she was just a lazy off-duty paramedic and demanded that she rescue the collision victims. It was not until they noticed her 13-year-old daughter playing with her rat in the passenger seat that they accepted that she really wasn't a paramedic :rolleyes:

These "mistaken professional identity" stories remind me of something that happened to my friend's mom. Her husband sells emergency vehicles, and one time they had to transport an ambulance to a buyer some distance away. So this woman decides to drive it over to deliver it, but on the highway they came upon a traffic jam in a collision scene. No emergency vehicles had arrived yet, so people started running over to the ambulance she was driving and yelling at her to get out and do something. She had no medical training and insisted that she was just delivering the ambulance for her husband, but bystanders assumed that she was just a lazy off-duty paramedic and demanded that she rescue the collision victims. It was not until they noticed her 13-year-old daughter playing with her rat in the passenger seat that they accepted that she really wasn't a paramedic :rolleyes:

It kind of scares me that people think that someone would lie in that situation. Whether it's her in the ambulance or me at the closed clinic, if either of us had been real human health providers, we would have been obligated to do something. I've never known a doctor who would just walk past a person who needed medical help, off-duty or not. I think that a lot of people don't realize that medical work is more than a job - it comes with a lot of ethical obligations.

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh: exactly!!! I go home with canine semen and placenta all over me and plop down on the couch (i work in doggie therio). my husband is disgusted - and makes me go shower and change (i don't blame him) :p - but my response is always . . . well - at least its not people juices.

also - i'm very happy that someone else calls them people "juices"!!!! :thumbup:

also - i'm very happy that someone else calls them people "juices"!!!! :thumbup:

I always cringe when I hear people refer to bodily fluids as "juices". Juice, to me, is a yummy thing to drink. I like mine made from cranberries, oranges, or peaches -not blood, urine, or semen. Using the same word to describe them both is a blatant attempt to steal the sparkling glory from all the delicious fruits! :shifty: Grrrrrr.

(^^And yes, I am intentionally being silly about this ;))

Patience, my lovelies. You all know how I like change.

What was this thread about again? Oh yeah... dress codes in vet school. I really did have to look to remember. :hungover:

I think calling them 'juices' creates an uneccessarily high 'ick' factor.

So... ick! Talk about something else!

Our path prof. told us we get +1 imaginary point everytime we can use a food item (or food based color) to accuretly describe something... I think Juices count.

Screw staying on topic :) Im tired and this week and next, and the following, suck

Hey guys, let's try to keep the thread on the original topic... :)

Pre-vet is terrible at this :laugh:

On topic, I didn't even know that some schools had this kind of policy. I'm so opposed to the idea of a dress code that I probably wouldn't even apply to a school that had one out of principle. I got enough of that kind of paternalistic policy during undergrad.

That might just be my cultural upbringing talking in part, though. From what I understand, formal dress is taken more seriously in some parts of the South than it is in the Midwest, or so is my impression.

Personally, I love the idea that I can wear glorified PJ's to work everyday. What do I wear today? Scrubs. Tomorrow? Scrubs. Forever? Scrubs. No more effort put in to dressing. :thumbup:

Hahaha! This made me laugh! :)

I dunno, I guess because I am single at the moment I feel like I should dress relatively nice ;). But the idea of having a required dress code (aka no jeans) sounds blecky! I went to an elementary school where we had to wear uniforms and it was horrible! No individuality :thumbdown:

the mistaken-identity scrubs stories are pretty funny, though I don't know how people can't tell you work in animal medicine when you have vast amounts of hair all over your scrubs! (at least I do at the end of the day in my SA hospital)

also, when I do wear my scrubs out of the hospital (ie: grocery shopping after work) and people find out I'm going to vet school and currently work in an animal hospital, they invariably start telling me really personal stories about their pets...

does that happen to anyone else?

also, when I do wear my scrubs out of the hospital (ie: grocery shopping after work) and people find out I'm going to vet school and currently work in an animal hospital, they invariably start telling me really personal stories about their pets...

does that happen to anyone else?
Yup, and it's actually helped me out a few times. I went to see my physics professor for extra help, a VERY stern German man, and he asked about where I worked. As soon as I told him vet clinic, he pulled out photos of his two Golden's and started telling me about them, and gave me lots of extra help and now we're BFFs. And I think that's the only reason I did well in his class! :laugh: Plus, he became a client at my clinic.

I ordered some scrubs and lab coats online the other day for clinics - they included a CD about what its like to be a nurse. They didn't ask or anything, just included it.

I ordered some scrubs and lab coats online the other day for clinics - they included a CD about what its like to be a nurse. They didn't ask or anything, just included it.

:laugh: Did you watch it? what could they possibly put on that CD?? probably not medical advice so then...emotional advice? haha maybe "daily duties"?? that is really funny

Hey No Imagination, are khakis suitable for guys to wear on a daily basis? The paper with the dress code is a bit unclear, making it sound like khakis are only alright on Fridays.

Hey No Imagination, are khakis suitable for guys to wear on a daily basis? The paper with the dress code is a bit unclear, making it sound like khakis are only alright on Fridays.

Khakis are ok... in fact, they are what just about what everyone wears.
Any kind of slacks are fine as well
Corduroy is OK, but doesn't really work due to MS summers.

Basically for guys, its easy. Button down shirt and Tie

One guy likes to push buttons - and wear a Bow Tie 2-3 times a week. Its cool... dress code say "Tie". Also, a few Texans like to where that stupid string thing around their neck. Also, its cool.

Fridays are polos (used to be only school colors, Maroon or White, but thats not enforced) has to be a solid color with no or very minimal logo (the silly alligator is fine).

Also, you can were a sweater vest instead of a tie, but no one really does (see above about MS Summers).

AU has a dress code. At first I wasn't really thrilled about it, but what can you do? I am not a morning person and any more effort into an out fit other than picking out a t-shirt, jeans, and flip flops takes too much time away from precious sleep. However, I think I've changed my point of view on the subject since I get to shop for a whole new wardrobe. I am kind of excited. Guess we'll have to wait and see how long the excitement lasts this fall when I have to wear the professional dress in class for 8 hours straight. I will probably revert back to the easier option of Khakis and a polo.

Also, a few Texans like to where that stupid string thing around their neck.

Ok I'm from Texas and have no idea what you're talking about lol.

I know what he meant. My dad has one! I think he just thought it was... neat. Doesn't wear it. But, he wears cowboy boots... he has a nice pair for when he dresses up in business slacks. :)

I think what you guys are talking about is called a bolo tie. I doubt anyone cares but you can add it to your random facts list. ;)

Ooooooh those things. Yah those do look goofy as all get out, though some can have rather ornate and good looking cinches at the top.

I think what you guys are talking about is called a bolo tie. I doubt anyone cares but you can add it to your random facts list. ;)

There was a big hullabaloo in my county a couple years ago when a guy wore a bolo tie under his graduation gown. They wouldn't give him his diploma because it violated the graduation dress code (they wanted a regular tie.) Well, he said it was to honor his Native American heritage, so there was a big debate and it ended up on the Today Show...

So, when I graduated, they specifically banned bolo ties so they wouldn't have that problem again!

I've come to the conclusion that Goodwill is the place to shop for dress shirts (MSU's dress code... grrr!). I stopped there yesterday and got 8 shirts and 4 ties for $35, and it looks like several of them have never been worn. :p

After the first month you are going to be wearing the same 3 shirts and same 4-5 ties every week... after week... after week. Sure, buy quantity - but also spend a few bucks and buy some good quality shirts that will withstand being washed and ironed/dried 2-3 times a week.

I've lost 3 ties due to them being my favorite (wearing a lot) and just ripping them off at the end of the day - got frayed, threads split, eventyally fell apart.

There was a big hullabaloo in my county a couple years ago when a guy wore a bolo tie under his graduation gown. They wouldn't give him his diploma because it violated the graduation dress code (they wanted a regular tie.) Well, he said it was to honor his Native American heritage, so there was a big debate and it ended up on the Today Show...

So, when I graduated, they specifically banned bolo ties so they wouldn't have that problem again!

Who cares what you wear under those gowns...no one can see it anyway. I understand dressing nice, but who cares what type of tie/dress/skirt/dress pants you wear because no one is going to see it with those massive gowns.

I've lost 3 ties due to them being my favorite (wearing a lot) and just ripping them off at the end of the day - got frayed, threads split, eventyally fell apart.

Do you think a Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham tie would be frowned upon? I found one at Goodwill that I just couldn't pass up, haha. :)

Nahhh, go for it - I wear a beatles tie every now and again. But, people will notice it, so looks dumb if you wear it more then 2-3x a month. A plain ole pattern tie you can wear 2-3x a week!

Trust me - it gets old really fast.

I personally like the dress code... it's only during exams I wish I could wear jeans and a T-shirt.

Do you think a Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham tie would be frowned upon? I found one at Goodwill that I just couldn't pass up, haha. :)

cute!!! what about Thing 1 and Thing 2?? i love them!!

Is it wrong that an enforced dress code beyond "don't dress like a stripper" was an immediate exclusion criteria when I was deciding which schools to apply to?

Is it wrong that an enforced dress code beyond "don't dress like a stripper" was an immediate exclusion criteria when I was deciding which schools to apply to?

No. I do not think so. I know that I personally would not want to have to drag myself to class at 7 or 8 in the morning after having little or no sleep the night before in a professional outfit. The last thing I want to be thinking about at that time is whether or not I have dressed professionally enough. However, if I end up having to apply again and get accepted to a school with a dress code I will be more than willing to go and dress professionally every day...at least I will be in vet school.

I think I'm more willing to be forced to dress up than I am to have a 100% PBL curriculum. And honestly, I think I'd rather live in Starkville than Pomona!

Bahhhh I'm not thinking about where to apply until AFTER finals.

I think I'm more willing to be forced to dress up than I am to have a 100% PBL curriculum. And honestly, I think I'd rather live in Starkville than Pomona!

Bahhhh I'm not thinking about where to apply until AFTER finals.

:laugh: To each their own. I am used to living in a heavily populated city. Visiting Pullman made me realize that I would go insane living in any area that is less than 100,000 people (the place I am currently living has more than 50,000 people here but less than 100,000 and it is driving me insane. It is small with not much to do besides drink, bowl, and see a movie). If I had to live in a small town I would but I would prefer to go somewhere that has more people/more things to do and I like the PBL curriculum.

:laugh: To each their own. I am used to living in a heavily populated city. Visiting Pullman made me realize that I would go insane living in any area that is less than 100,000 people (the place I am currently living has more than 50,000 people here but less than 100,000 and it is driving me insane. It is small with not much to do besides drink, bowl, and see a movie). If I had to live in a small town I would but I would prefer to go somewhere that has more people/more things to do and I like the PBL curriculum.

Heh. The town I live in now has a population of 8500.
Stillwater, Manhattan and Starkville were all big cities compared to that :)

Davis only has a population around 60,000, but it's close enough to Sacramento and the Bay area that I don't ever feel like there's a lack of stuff to do if I feel like doing something. I'm like you, DVMDream, in that I can't take "small town" type of living at all.