PigsRock

VMRCVM c/o 2014!
May 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
So, I was talking with some people about how the VMRCVM student handbook has a little bit about a dress code, i.e. no sweatpants, no holes, no short shorts, etc. That makes sense, I guess.

But one of my friends works at the vet school and she said a lot of the girls dress up a lot and wear heels to class. Now, if I'm going to be in class from 8 to 5, I definitely won't be wearing heels. You'd have to change for lab anyway, right?

Anyhow, I'm wondering what you guys know of vet school dress. I thought it would be like undergrad, with most people wearing t-shirts, jeans, hoodies, etc. But I could be wrong... Thoughts?

scb44f

Llamas and cattle and sheep, oh my!
7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2009
MO
Status
Veterinarian
But one of my friends works at the vet school and she said a lot of the girls dress up a lot and wear heels to class. Now, if I'm going to be in class from 8 to 5, I definitely won't be wearing heels. You'd have to change for lab anyway, right?
I was wondering this same thing earlier today. I'm interested to hear the feedback on this.

HopefulAg

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
I can only speak for A&M but it essentially goes like this from my understanding.

1st week: everyone dresses as the faculty tells them to, that is, business casual
2nd week - graduation: everyone dresses however they want.

rugbychick16

KSU CVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
South Dakota
Status
Veterinarian
It varies from school to school, so check handbook/current students of where you're going. This usually applies to classroom only-hospital rotations are a whole different story

At KS, everyone wears khakis like the first week. Then its pretty much jeans-tshirts-hoodies all the time. Some people wear skirts, and some people wear sweatpants...no one really cares.

that redhead

7+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2010
I don't think you need to get gussied up and wear heels everyday. I can see the argument for no sweats, although that would take some getting used to for me :p I think "business casual" to include khakis, nice jeans, a polo or nice shirt would be fine. In colder months you'll be bundled up anyway, but I would probably wear pants to class even in warmer months.

Feb 19, 2010
Indiana
Status
Pre-Veterinary
At the Purdue interview we were allowed to sit in on a class. Cant remember if it was a first year or second year class but everyone pretty much looked like they had just rolled out of bed. I loved it! Then again, it was a Friday at 9am...

Totally different, but I have a friend at Georgetown for med school, and she complains about being the only girl in birkenstocks and not heels so I guess its not unheard of

BlacKAT33

UPenn c/o 2014!! :)
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
i know i brought this up a while ago (i too saw it in vmrcvm handbook) , maybe summer/fall but i cant find the thread anywhere!! but i think people answered the same as above. at first i was worried because i wore hoodies and sports pants every day in undergrad, but now that ive been working for 2 yrs my attire is gradually switched over to more dressy/business casual, so i guess im set for w/e happens!

Caninerepro

Minnesota CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
I was the only guy who showed up for pictures first day in a tie. Sweats, jeans, t-shirts, scrubs, whatever goes here at MN. :cool:

Tobysgirl81

VMRCVM c/o 2014!
Jan 24, 2010
Status
So, I was talking with some people about how the VMRCVM student handbook has a little bit about a dress code, i.e. no sweatpants, no holes, no short shorts, etc. That makes sense, I guess.

Anyhow, I'm wondering what you guys know of vet school dress. I thought it would be like undergrad, with most people wearing t-shirts, jeans, hoodies, etc. But I could be wrong... Thoughts?
I think its "dress up" the same way a lot of girls dress up for undergrad(on a little less scantily clad). They dress nicely, but there are PLENTY of girls in tee shirts and jeans as well, don't worry ;) The dress seems to be fairly conservative casual. Don't show off tons of skin, but jeans/tees/hoodies/etc are all acceptable!

Who do you know that works at the school out of curiosity? I'm wondering if I know them too...

Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
Dress code? VMRCVM don't have no dress code :laugh: haha. And if we do no one follows it. We all walked around in jeans and sweatshirts years 1 through 3, and I still see the students doing the same now.....some people look nice but the only things I have heard of is a girl was told to go home and change because she was wearing a skimpy tank top. We're pretty relaxed here....

GreennWhite

C/O 2014!!!
Jan 19, 2010
MD and VA
Status
Veterinary Student
Dress code? VMRCVM don't have no dress code :laugh: haha. And if we do no one follows it. We all walked around in jeans and sweatshirts years 1 through 3, and I still see the students doing the same now.....some people look nice but the only things I have heard of is a girl was told to go home and change because she was wearing a skimpy tank top. We're pretty relaxed here....
That's a relief - going to class at 8am and dressing nicely do not go hand in hand for me! I'll be lucky if i'm awake! I'm definitely investing in a solid coffeepot!

sofficat

AU CVM c/o 11
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2007
Status
Veterinary Student
Auburn definitely has a dress code (it's been mentioned recently in some threads). However, I think maybe only one other vet school has a dress code. If you're sitting in class all day what is the big problem with wearing heels? (this coming from a girl who has 'nice flip flops' :laugh: so maybe I'm not one to try to debate high heels). I like the dress code, and I used to wear pajama pants to undergrad! It gives the whole school a very professional field and looks great to clients/visitors. With that said, you don't have to wear dresses everyday... nice khakis and collared shirts are ok for girls (especially in the warmer months).

JNR

Jan 25, 2010
Vermont
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Mississippi State is the other school with a dress code. No flip flops, no spaghetti straps, no dresses/skirts above knee-length, no t-shirts, no sweatshirts, and (the real killer)... NO JEANS. Not even on Fridays or game days. Lame. I suppose women have more options than guys, though. They're required to wear khakis with a button-down & tie, or a button-down with a sweater pulled over it.

Yes, it does suck for someone like me who would need to go out and buy an entire new wardrobe (amongst the cost of everything else while transitioning into vet school). I pretty much wear jeans 360/365 days a year so it is kind of a bummer. However, they did mention that you are able to change your clothes and shoes before lab, heading to the barns. I think a dress code is something so small though if you've been successful enough to accomplish something so huge like gaining admittance to a program :)

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status
Veterinarian
Mississippi State is the other school with a dress code. No flip flops, no spaghetti straps, no dresses/skirts above knee-length, no t-shirts, no sweatshirts, and (the real killer)... NO JEANS. Not even on Fridays or game days. Lame. I suppose women have more options than guys, though. They're required to wear khakis with a button-down & tie, or a button-down with a sweater pulled over it.

Yes, it does suck for someone like me who would need to go out and buy an entire new wardrobe (amongst the cost of everything else while transitioning into vet school). I pretty much wear jeans 360/365 days a year so it is kind of a bummer. However, they did mention that you are able to change your clothes and shoes before lab, heading to the barns. I think a dress code is something so small though if you've been successful enough to accomplish something so huge like gaining admittance to a program :)
And I hate to tell you, but it is strictly enforced. Guys don't get in trouble because its a little hard NOT to wear the right thing (like you said, button down, tie, khakis, shoes) - The women on the other hand get in trouble every now and again as they have more options to them... usually its 'student' enforced with lame emails as a reminded to the class of proper attire, but administration also likes to remind us. Its annoying at first, but hell, we're in vet school, I'd wear just about anything to get to were I am, I'm sure everyone else feels the same way.

P.S. Friday you get to wear a solid color polo (may have to be 'school colors', but not sure about that, no one really cares about the color anyhow).

Electrophile

Working Dog Doc
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2007
Columbia, Missouri
Status
Veterinarian
At our school, we are technically not supposed to wear non-Mizzou or Mizzou vet med stuff during classroom years, though people certainly do. And some people dress up a bit each day or most days too, which is fine too. For clinics, you do have invest in some professional clothing though, particularly on small animal rotations. Maybe that's why I liked pathology rotation the most so far: t-shirts and scrub pants/jeans under coveralls. Yay!

Pandacinny

VMRCVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Status
Veterinary Student
Also, yoga pants. Don't wear yoga pants. Otherwise, you're right, super casual.

Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
Yeah, no yoga pants, ha. I mean, you can't go around with holes in your jeans or flip flops or dirty clothes (we aren't THAT "country" ;) ), but a regular relaxed t-shirt and jeans are fine :thumbup:

Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
Maybe that's why I liked pathology rotation the most so far: t-shirts and scrub pants/jeans under coveralls. Yay!
:claps:

Funny though, some of the pathologists here dress up every day, like oxford shirts, ties, and nice pants, but the residents are all dressed casual to nice casual. I make fun of my PI (a pathologist) who wears Brooks Brothers and Polo every day. I'm sitting here in my jeans, NIN sweatshirt, and Merrells haha...

rileydog

LSU SVM Class of 2014 :)
Jan 20, 2010
Baton Rouge, LA
Status
Veterinary Student
Tuskegee also has a dress code. I was told on my interview day tour, that they dress "like you are now", ie suits and stuff. Scrubs are for labs only, and that makes sense. My current work wardrobe is scrubs, and everything else is mostly jeans. Clothes shopping might be another vet school expense.

Last edited:

rachroo

OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Status
Veterinary Student
No dress code for Ohio State (at least, so far, in VM1). I know in clinics it will be different, but for now we're pretty casual. Granted a handful of people dress up but I'd say the other 130 or so of us dress in jeans/t-shirts/hoodies. On anatomy days, some wear their scrubs before lab to avoid the mass choas of lockers/changing.

Although, this past week we had finals and I saw multiple people in pj pants/sweats :)

BlacKAT33

UPenn c/o 2014!! :)
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
Tuskegee also has a dress code. I was told on my interview day tour, that they dress "like you are now", ie suits and stuff. Scrubs are for labs only, and that makes sense. My current work wardrobe is scubs,and everything else is mostly jeans. Clothes shopping might be another vet school expense.
suits during lectures?!?!?! this is insane. we're not in business school lol I only have one suit, they actually expect you to buy multiple suits to wear? i just cant believe it.

nyanko

total trash mammal
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CoMo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There was a dress code when I was in elementary school at a Catholic school. My mother made me follow it.

That was the last time I followed a dress code. ;)

racccjlm

Iowa 2014 grad; Ophtho resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2009
Status
Veterinarian
There was a dress code when I was in elementary school at a Catholic school. My mother made me follow it.

Yep - when I was younger my mom made me wear dresses, tights, and bows. Consequently, I've been a strictly jeans and t-shirts gal ever since ;)

Electrophile

Working Dog Doc
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2007
Columbia, Missouri
Status
Veterinarian
Really? Why is that?
*shrug* I have no idea. To promote sales of the t-shirts in the book store? :rolleyes::laugh: Then again, you accumulate vet school t-shirts pretty quickly, so this is not much of a problem. I guess so if we have guests in the school, they won't get offended by messages on the t-shirts? But I have no idea.

Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary

Swap "Catholic" for "private," and that pretty much describes me.

The funny thing is, I tend to dress well all on my own--I don't wear jeans, never wear sweats or yoga pants out in public, avoid anything too tight or revealing, etc. Left completely to my own devices, I will dress in an appropriate, professional manner.

But try to proscribe what I wear for anything other than health and safety reasons, or as part of a uniform (such as a specific color of scrubs)? Dude, no way. Nothing makes me want to show up unwashed, in pajama bottoms and flip-flops, faster than a stated dress code...:laugh:

PigsRock

VMRCVM c/o 2014!
May 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Thanks everybody (especially VMRCVM folks!) I guess some people just like to dress up for class... but I'm not one of them! All I wear is jeans and T-shirts... Even a polo is too dressy for me... Glad I don't have to change my (nonexistent) style.:cool:

Now to more serious questions like: why do you have to buy the dark blue coveralls that make you look like an auto mechanic?:rolleyes:

PigsRock

VMRCVM c/o 2014!
May 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Who do you know that works at the school out of curiosity? I'm wondering if I know them too...
I know a few people at the vet school (a couple that work with the MDL dogs and a couple from when I helped with a nutrition study), but this particular person works at the library.

Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
Now to more serious questions like: why do you have to buy the dark blue coveralls that make you look like an auto mechanic?:rolleyes:
HAHA....the couple times I have been too lazy to change out of them and went to 7-11 or something to get a drink, people have asked me if I am a mechanic or start asking me car questions :laugh: Although honestly I think the coveralls are quite comfy. When I make the long drive up to see my folks I wear them in the car cause of that (yes...I am a dork...)

Armymutt25A

Cranky VSST OIC
7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
Pineland, NC
Status
Veterinarian
I've determined that one of the toughest adjustments I'd have to make for vet school is figuring out what to wear each day. I've been wearing the same thing daily for the past 9 years. No more getting dressed in the dark, that's for sure.

marycatherine

working on the pre-reqs
Nov 14, 2009
Virginia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
HAHA....the couple times I have been too lazy to change out of them and went to 7-11 or something to get a drink, people have asked me if I am a mechanic or start asking me car questions :laugh: Although honestly I think the coveralls are quite comfy. When I make the long drive up to see my folks I wear them in the car cause of that (yes...I am a dork...)

When I eat out at lunchtime I usually grab food near a hospital, and for some reason it always amuses me that people might think I work at a people-hospital because of my scrubs! :laugh:

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2009
MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
When I eat out at lunchtime I usually grab food near a hospital, and for some reason it always amuses me that people might think I work at a people-hospital because of my scrubs! :laugh:
I wear scrubs to work every day, and I get asked about what hospital I work at ALL THE TIME. I used to think it was funny, but now I just get sick of it!

Vet Engineer

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!!!
Feb 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Status
Veterinary Student
Once after work (and still in my scrubs), I stopped by a local hospital to visit a friend who was having twins and people kept asking me where public parking, the ER, etc. was. I don't think they believed me when I told them I didn't work there.

Tobysgirl81

VMRCVM c/o 2014!
Jan 24, 2010
Status
One time, many years ago, I was driving my brother home in the evening from my dad's house. I pulled out of my side road onto a main street - which was always a little dicey because it was so busy - and managed to cut off a cop *doh!*. He pulled me over, and I was still in my scrubs from working all day. I'm STILL convinced that's the only reason he didn't give me a ticket that evening and let me off with a warning instead! :)

Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
Yep I have had many people ask me if I am a nurse if they see me in scrubs....like no, first of all, that is a little sexist, and no, veterinarinas wear scrubs too. But oh well, you cannot get too angry because honestly most people do not know. I just say no, I'm a vet student and they go oh cool! And the response is usually one of respect.

smilin1590

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Although honestly I think the coveralls are quite comfy. When I make the long drive up to see my folks I wear them in the car cause of that (yes...I am a dork...)
I don't know why but for some reason this made me bust out laughing...maybe because it's something I would do:laugh:

Jan 31, 2010
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
My dad's practice has a doc (MD, not DVM) who only wears scrubs at work. He apparently changes from "street scrubs" that he wears at the office to surgery scrubs when he gets to the hospital. He's also known for wearing them off-duty around town. Apparently his whole wardrobe is just scrubs, lab coats, 1 suit for conferences, and some nicer casual clothes for going out to eat.

In his defense, the hospital washes scrubs for free, so he (almost) never has to do laundry.

Electrophile

Working Dog Doc
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2007
Columbia, Missouri
Status
Veterinarian
It's for biosecurity. If you go on numerous farm calls or see different haul in patients (or in the case of your swine friends, if you go from barn to barn that are all in, all out), you switch coveralls between each call. Ideally, you'll also scrub your rubber boots as well as washing hands. You often shower in, shower out for large production swine work as well, though you probably know that.

PigsRock

VMRCVM c/o 2014!
May 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
It's for biosecurity. If you go on numerous farm calls or see different haul in patients (or in the case of your swine friends, if you go from barn to barn that are all in, all out), you switch coveralls between each call. Ideally, you'll also scrub your rubber boots as well as washing hands. You often shower in, shower out for large production swine work as well, though you probably know that.
Oh, I understand why the coveralls are important-I just don't know why they have to be such an awful color!

Swine biosecurity is pretty intense, but it's nothing compared to some of the big poultry producers... On the plus side, you'd never have to get dressed before work, you could just go in your pajamas since you'd have to shower and change anyway!

I got a free copy of this month's "Bovine Veterinarian" magazine and it had a survey about when LA vets actually change coveralls, boots, etc. For some of them it's not very often, especially when they're working with small ruminants and not cattle... Interesting.

Tobysgirl81

VMRCVM c/o 2014!
Jan 24, 2010
Status
Oh, I understand why the coveralls are important-I just don't know why they have to be such an awful color!.
Its to point out you ARE just a lowly veterinary student, and should not be trusted with things like questions or needles... ;)

Just joking! Though the jackets worn in hospital are the same navy blue color so I think its just color coding. They used to be like green or red or something at one point...It was voted to change the color some years back. My understanding is, be grateful they're navy ;)

zeebra44

Frito feet!
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
My dad's practice has a doc (MD, not DVM) who only wears scrubs at work. He apparently changes from "street scrubs" that he wears at the office to surgery scrubs when he gets to the hospital. He's also known for wearing them off-duty around town. Apparently his whole wardrobe is just scrubs, lab coats, 1 suit for conferences, and some nicer casual clothes for going out to eat.

In his defense, the hospital washes scrubs for free, so he (almost) never has to do laundry.
Haha! Sounds pretty comfortable to me...and free laundry? Deal. :D

I'm going to TRY to put some effort into how I look in vet school, but I can't make any promises. I like to be comfortable (aka jeans) and I'm already tall, so heels are definitely not for me. Once clinicals roll around, I think it would be refreshing to wear flats and a nice outfit every once in awhile, but in our profession, who am I kidding?...a lint roller must ALWAYS be within reach! Haha

Quigly

7+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2010
Status
Veterinarian
I worked with a vet that was going out to do a lat night bovine ob while she was wearing scrubs a couple years ago. She got pulled over for speeding and when the cop asked her where she was off to so quickly she told him she had to do a c-section down the road. The cop let her go right away and she realized when she left that he probably thought she was a doctor at the small town hospital down the road on the edge of town. Another clothes story.

Electrophile

Working Dog Doc
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2007
Columbia, Missouri
Status
Veterinarian
LOL, I've heard similar stories, Quigley. Though one vet I did an external rotation with said a cop ticketed him anyways. The worst thing was the cop hadn't paid his own bill for his dog at the clinic either! :mad:

Speaking of clothes to work on OB calls, I just ordered these, but probably too late since I *really* could have used this on some of the uterine prolapses the last few weeks (they can get really bloody) and now I'm off that rotation...oh well, probably will be nice in the spring rains.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,18880_Carhartt-PVC-Coated-Polyester-Rain-Bibs-Waterproof-For-Men.html

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2009
MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Once I had to take my car in for service after work, so I sat in the waiting room in my scrubs for a few hours. There was a VERY pregnant lady there who left a little before I did. When I checked out, the receptionist told me "Oh, that pregnant woman up there with you said she's due any day now, and she felt so much better knowing there was a nurse there with her!" I didn't have the heart to tell her I wasn't a nurse, and unless she was having a foal, I wouldn't have been much help! :laugh:

I also had a guy try to start conversation by going "hellooooo nurse!" when I walked into class in scrubs. :rolleyes: Yeah. That went over well. He received my 1000-megawatt death glare.

Dec 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I don't understand why you guys find it so weird that people think you are a nurse instead of a vet tech. Honestly, if I saw someone out with scrubs my first thought would be that they are a nurse too, as this is most common. I mean, people don't even know what a vet tech is when I tell them, so I really don't get offended or befuddled when people think that I am a nurse. It is a logical conclusion in my eyes.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
It's not offensive - nurses are awesome - it's just funny that people assume it. All sorts of medical professionals wear scrubs, and sometimes I think random people wear them just because they're comfortable.

Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
I don't understand why you guys find it so weird that people think you are a nurse instead of a vet tech. Honestly, if I saw someone out with scrubs my first thought would be that they are a nurse too, as this is most common. I mean, people don't even know what a vet tech is when I tell them, so I really don't get offended or befuddled when people think that I am a nurse. It is a logical conclusion in my eyes.
I didn't think it was offensive, like I said, most people don't know. Was just saying I found it funny, and like I said in my previous post, most people don't know. It is just ironic.