Vet School Dropouts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfitzpatri8

Trying my darnedest...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone known any and kept in touch? What happens to them? I think I'm about to become one... We've lost a few from my class, but none of them stay in touch with anyone... they all seem to think they're pariahs. I tend to think they may be right- I had some medical problems and dropped into the lower class, and couldn't seem to fit in, and now this. ::crying::

Members don't see this ad.

There was a girl in our class that dropped out after freshman year. She decided to go to med school instead (largely due to family pressures, I think). I have tried multiple times to call her, e-mail her, post on her FB but I never get a response. I think the keeping in touch has a lot to do with both sides. I know a few other people who've tried to contact her but she won't reply. So it's not like the vet school's shunning her. I think it depends on the friends you made during vet school.

I have to say, it seems like there's a rash of people thinking of quitting vet school so late into it (see the "The best part is" thread). I've never heard of this down here at Georgia nor at some of the other schools where I've talked with students although I'm sure it happens, albeit rarely. I assume you're in your 4th year since your thing says c/o 2010? I always heard (and believe for myself) that clinics is the best part of vet school. Something must be bad wrong for you to give up that late in the program - 3 years of hard work can't be ignored. I obviously don't know about your particular situation, but I would talk to the administration and a mentor before making the decision. If it's a personal issue rather than an academic one I'd hope some compromise could be worked out rather than giving up completely. Of course, it depends on the situation, but still...

I just haven't updated my signature. I "recycled" halfway through my 2nd year back into the first year class. That was due to several reasons- mainly personal medical ones, that, and my Husband tried to die in front of me (diabetic hypoglycemia-induced grand mal seizure with respiratory arrest) and spent several days in the hospital... in any case, I ended up transferring from the class of '10 to that of '11.

And now my medical problems continue to plague me and interfere with my ability to perform (I have a cervical neuropathology). So, at this point, leaving vet school will be due to academics. Sorry I was unclear.

I'd love to hear any suggestions that anyone has about what one can do with an incomplete DVM. I'm an out of state student here, and have 3 years of loans already to my name. I don't see any way that I'm not doomed to a life of misery at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just haven't updated my signature. I "recycled" halfway through my 2nd year back into the first year class. That was due to several reasons- mainly personal medical ones, that, and my Husband tried to die in front of me (diabetic hypoglycemia-induced grand mal seizure with respiratory arrest) and spent several days in the hospital... in any case, I ended up transferring from the class of '10 to that of '11.

And now my medical problems continue to plague me and interfere with my ability to perform (I have a cervical neuropathology). So, at this point, leaving vet school will be due to academics. Sorry I was unclear.

I'd love to hear any suggestions that anyone has about what one can do with an incomplete DVM. I'm an out of state student here, and have 3 years of loans already to my name. I don't see any way that I'm not doomed to a life of misery at the moment.

What is you academic background from before vet school? Have you completed your second year of vet school?

I feel your pain! I "recycled" my 2nd year so I entered the new class during the second semester of 2nd year. It is really hard to get used to being in a new class and I never got to a point where I feel like I fit in like I did in my first class.

I have kept sorta in touch with a couple of people who dropped out for different reasons. I believe they both went on to teach. I know one for sure is teaching vet tech courses, but I'm not sure about the other. If I dropped out, I'd actually be doing the same thing that I'd be doing if I graduated, just without the fancy title. Currently, you don't need a DVM to practice behavior modification, you just can't prescribe certain medications. I could see that potentially changing in the future or at least getting more regulated which is why I'd like to obtain a DVM now.

What about being a vet tech? Obviously doesn't pay anywhere near as much, but some locations/ hospitals pay pretty well and you'll still get to do what you love.
Research.
Teaching.
Animal Nutritionist (as of yet, doesn't require a DVM).
There's more options of working with animals and medicine if you are into large/food animal than with small animal, though there really are option either way. If you are into zoo and/ or wildlife, there are lots of options in those field that don't require a DVM.
Working for a pharmaceutical company.

Don't ever let the closing of one door make you think that there is no hope for the future. You need to take a step out and see what other doors are open for you (which is what you are doing, that's great). But hey, if you are determined to get through the door you want (i.e. stick it through vet school and graduate with a DVM) then grab and axe and start chopping away at the closed door. It's not easy and it may only get harder, but if it is possible and you want it bad enough, just keep fighting for it no matter what.

What is you academic background from before vet school? Have you completed your second year of vet school?

I hold a BS from UC Davis in Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior... with a minor in English. I used to be a pretty good student. :confused:

I've taken two steps forward and three steps back since I got here. I made it through first year, took 3rd semester and recycled, took third semester and passed, then just finished 4th semester and "failed" (don't get me started on the grading scale here at MSU. The minimum for passing (a "D") is 67%, "C" is 75%). I will be speaking with the college's Committee on Student Performance on Tuesday. The likelihood is that they will offer me the option to recycle again... my problem is that as an out-of-state student, my financial aid will not hold out through another recycling year... I will hit the maximum in loans, and then not be able to afford to finish anyways. And, with my academic performance being what it is, I am not eligible for scholarships.

I actually just wanted to teach. Medicine is applied physiology, and I honestly am disappointed in the way that it is taught in medical classrooms. I have an interest in endocrinology, and could be happy researching and teaching. But I don't want to do it in the K-12 system. I want to do it to help my profession.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had to miss a year and a half of undergrad due to severe medical problems. (And had to explain a TON of dropped classes on my VMCAS.) I only talked to one person from school the entire year and a half I was gone. (She's still my best friend to this day!) I came back and ended up making some new friends through her. I also keep in touch with them, but I keep in touch with virtually no one from my first year at undergrad. (Just a couple of random friends on facebook.)

Most of my friends at vet school are from the class above me and they (and I) still keep in touch with a girl who dropped out. I see her a few times a month and talk to her a few times a week. We had four people fail out of our class first semester. 2 are now in 2012, and during their semester off they definitely kept in touch with friends in our class. 1 left the state to pursue another vet school and no one I know of talks with her. Another I ran into at the "vet school" hair salon (we all seem to go there) and she's coming back for 2013. We had one recycle in our class and she is close with another SDNer from my class at school.

I think it's a personal decision. I considered recycling this semester, but I managed to pull through. I wish I had some wise advice to give you. When I left undergrad, I had to hit rock bottom of being in pain in order to leave. If you don't think you can handle school and/or clinics in your condition maybe you can look into other career opportunities this summer. I wouldn't close the door just yet. Maybe seeing a career counselor either privately or through the university can give you some ideas you haven't considered.

Best of luck!

jfitzpatri8,

Please don't take this the wrong way, and this question is not directed at you personally in any way.

But why would they give you the option to recycle again. With so many people applying every year, why would they let you go at it again?

I know med schools are the same way. One girl I knew failed 1st year once, repeated, then failed 2nd year, and repeated, then dropped out.

While if it happens to me, I am sure I will be incredibly grateful for a second chance, I am shocked that they are so lenient.

It seems like they do everything to prevent all but the best to get you in, but after that they spoon feed you and give multiple chances to retry. Why is that?

Disregarding the health issues: More interested is recycling after failing out. I know everyone can have serious health personal problems that can prevent people from succeeding.

Last edited:
I'm going to answer this as if you didn't intend to kick me while I am down. :rolleyes: I've been where you are, bright-eyed and bushy tailed and full of myself for being smart enough to get in, but babe, unless you are incredibly lucky, you are in for a rude awakening come this fall.

The school wants to recycle me instead of dismissing me because they can't let anyone into my place at this point anyways, and they would like to keep up the rate of graduated students... it helps in recruitment. Also, they have a lot of time and money invested in my education, just as I do. (If you think that your tuition costs cover your educational costs, you are deluded as all getout!) I have only told part of my story here, enough to insinuate that I have had a hard time. I, too, pressmom, lost nearly a year in undergrad due to emergency cervical spine surgery. My chronic pain and migraine headaches have lead to the development and diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder (a familial condition that I had managed to stave off until my late 20's!). There are jobs within the field that are less demanding than veterinary school itself, and I'd :love: to get there.

There are some situations where it seems ridiculous to recycle people over and over again. There is a girl in my school who has recycled 4 times. Her father is a very large donor and an alum, she has no reason other than partying ways for her poor performance, but she keeps coming in. The rumor mill has it that this is her last chance, but who knows... she was supposed to have graduated with the class of 2007.

jfitzpatri8,

Please don't take this the wrong way, and this question is not directed at you personally in any way.

But why would they give you the option to recycle again. With so many people applying every year, why would they let you go at it again?

I know med schools are the same way. One girl I knew failed 1st year once, repeated, then failed 2nd year, and repeated, then dropped out.

While if it happens to me, I am sure I will be incredibly grateful for a second chance, I am shocked that they are so lenient.

It seems like they do everything to prevent all but the best to get you in, but after that they spoon feed you and give multiple chances to retry. Why is that?

Disregarding the health issues: More interested is recycling after failing out. I know everyone can have serious health personal problems that can prevent people from succeeding.

jfitzpatri8, we have a lot in common! I'm fused a C4-5 and have had about 11 other major surgeries from 2000-2007. (4 during the time I was off undergrad.) My last one (hopefully for good) was the January before I started vet school (neurolysis of the brachial plexus). I'm on chronic prescription NSAID therapy and pop the occasional muscle relaxant, but I'm handling the pain pretty well at this point.

You have to do what's best for your health. Once again, best of luck.

PM me if you need anything.

I'm going to answer this as if you didn't intend to kick me while I am down. :rolleyes: I've been where you are, bright-eyed and bushy tailed and full of myself for being smart enough to get in, but babe, unless you are incredibly lucky, you are in for a rude awakening come this fall.

I'm sorry for the way that No Imagination's post came off and I'm not trying to defend those comments (also not trying to knock No Imagination...it's very possible he didn't mean what he said quite the way that you interpreted it.)

I am also very sorry to hear about all of the medical problems that you've been dealing with. It really sounds like that has made it nearly impossible for you to focus on school and do as well as you should have/could have.

All of those caveats being said, I disagree with the way your statement came off as a blanket statement that anyone not petrified about vet school will have a rude awakening. (Probably not the way you meant it, but I want to respond anyhow, for the benefit of all of the panicking members of the class of 2013...) Vet school is hard. If you're not dealing with massively complicating outside factors, though, it's not impossible and everyone doesn't need to be bracing for the worst experience of their life. A healthy dose of fear at the start certainly helped me get on the right track as far as study methods go (habits that, mid-spring quarter, have sadly been in hibernation for a while). But not everyone is going to hit vet school and go, "oh holy hell, I'm doomed." Or if they do, sometimes after a few weeks of adjustment (and the first test or two goes by) they calm down.

Again, outside medical and life complications aside.

The reason why schools fight to keep students in once they are in is financial. If they lose a student the state doesn't subsidize that spot.

To everyone with health issues I wish you the very best of luck, and my hat off to you for making it this far.

Point conceded. There are definitely kids who come into school and handle the transition very well- and there are those who don't. There are several studies underway trying to come to an understanding about what makes up the difference. Because med and vet students have a disproportionately high suicide rate. That doesn't come from nowhere. It comes from overconfidence. I had it. I fell, HARD. I've watched 3 new classes come in, and I have seen others fall just as hard as I have. Be careful. Think about it. It may be easy as pie, but it may not be. And having no compassion for those who fall usually equates to no compassion for oneself, either.

I'm sorry for the way that No Imagination's post came off and I'm not trying to defend those comments (also not trying to knock No Imagination...it's very possible he didn't mean what he said quite the way that you interpreted it.)

I am also very sorry to hear about all of the medical problems that you've been dealing with. It really sounds like that has made it nearly impossible for you to focus on school and do as well as you should have/could have.

All of those caveats being said, I disagree with the way your statement came off as a blanket statement that anyone not petrified about vet school will have a rude awakening. (Probably not the way you meant it, but I want to respond anyhow, for the benefit of all of the panicking members of the class of 2013...) Vet school is hard. If you're not dealing with massively complicating outside factors, though, it's not impossible and everyone doesn't need to be bracing for the worst experience of their life. A healthy dose of fear at the start certainly helped me get on the right track as far as study methods go (habits that, mid-spring quarter, have sadly been in hibernation for a while). But not everyone is going to hit vet school and go, "oh holy hell, I'm doomed." Or if they do, sometimes after a few weeks of adjustment (and the first test or two goes by) they calm down.

Again, outside medical and life complications aside.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, as VA-girl said, I was in no way trying to be judgmental or insulting. I tried very hard to sculpt my post as best I could to convey that intention, and I am sorry if I failed.

I am not sure which part of my post came off as "kicking you when you were down", but that isn't me or something I would do.

I am not gifted, I do not test well, and I have a horrible short term memory. I am scarred sh*tless of failing in vet school. So bad I have contemplated getting tested as my study habits are incredibly inefficient.

I truly did not mean anything insulting by anything I said, I was simply curious.

Thank you for answering the question, the lack of a subsidized spot kinda makes sense, but if you recycled into 1st year, the school could just get a new subsidized student (unless they increase the class size to compensate for the student)

Off topic - Can anyone site the actual study for vet suicide? I have read several articles about it, but can't figure out the scope and numbers, and have never actually seen the study. The articles I read talk about Australia and the UK...and don't talk about the US.... so I am curious about the actual numbers in the states.

Last edited:
No Imagination, it isn't exactly what you said, it's the fact that you said it in my thread, where I admitted to literally crying in my first post. I was nearly one of those suicide statistics earlier this morning. I had a plan, I had my letters written, and I had the pills saved up. My husband decided to stay home for no particular reason today, and foiled my plans. No joke. Simply for the fact that driveways in MI don't have room for side-by-side parking, I am alive to write to you.

I had friends in my first class. I have a few friends in my current class. I have friends in the class that I will be recycled into. No one close. I had a very rough childhood. Vet school, my medical complications, and my depression have nearly ruined my marriage. We talked today, when I went to him crying asking him to move his car so I could go kill myself in peace. Things can still get better. But vet school is no damn picnic.

So, when you get here, look me up. I promise to be real, I'll show you around, I'll tell you which profs to look out for, and which ones to look forward to working with. I'll help you choose clubs to join, and I'll be here for you... so long as I'm here myself. Just promise me to not ever ask those questions again of someone so on the edge.

Yes, as VA-girl said, I was in no way trying to be judgmental or insulting. I tried very hard to sculpt my post as best I could to convey that intention, and I am sorry if I failed.

I am not sure which part of my post came off as "kicking you when you were down", but that isn't me or something I would do.

I am not gifted, I do not test well, and I have a horrible short term memory. I am scarred sh*tless of failing in vet school. So bad I have contemplated getting tested as my study habits are incredibly inefficient.

I truly did not mean anything insulting by anything I said, I was simply curious.

Thank you for answering the question, the lack of a subsidized spot kinda makes sense, but if you recycled into 1st year, the school could just get a new subsidized student (unless they increase the class size to compensate for the student)

jfitz - I'm glad your husband stayed home.

To anyone who would question why you would want out of vet school - well, believe me, when you are in vet school, you'll know. I believe in giving people second and maybe even third chances if required - there are lots of things that come up in life that can affect your grades academically and your ability to succeed.

jfitz - we have lost about 20% of my class. It has been gut wrenching for everyone in my class when we have lost people, and I imagine it will be the same for people in your class. I know I have made an effort to keep in touch with those who have dropped out - even if I didn't know them all that well. They have gone on to do other things with their lives and they seem very happy with their decision. It gives me peace to know that they have found fulfillment in a different career.

There are lots of careers that you can look into that don't require a DVM degree but will let you do similar things. Perhaps you can teach at a veterinary technician school?

Here's to hoping things start looking up for you.

No Imagination, it isn't exactly what you said, it's the fact that you said it in my thread, where I admitted to literally crying in my first post. I was nearly one of those suicide statistics earlier this morning. I had a plan, I had my letters written, and I had the pills saved up. My husband decided to stay home for no particular reason today, and foiled my plans. No joke. Simply for the fact that driveways in MI don't have room for side-by-side parking, I am alive to write to you.

I had friends in my first class. I have a few friends in my current class. I have friends in the class that I will be recycled into. No one close. I had a very rough childhood. Vet school, my medical complications, and my depression have nearly ruined my marriage. We talked today, when I went to him crying asking him to move his car so I could go kill myself in peace. Things can still get better. But vet school is no damn picnic.

So, when you get here, look me up. I promise to be real, I'll show you around, I'll tell you which profs to look out for, and which ones to look forward to working with. I'll help you choose clubs to join, and I'll be here for you... so long as I'm here myself. Just promise me to not ever ask those questions again of someone so on the edge.

Please talk to someone - Nothing is worth what your referring to, and such feelings do not develop or pass transiently.

Last edited:
jfitzpati8,

Please please get some help. I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. Believe me when I say that I admire your strength, tenacity and determination to have come this far. Don't give up. You will find your path. Right now is your darkest hour, but trust me, this will not last forever. Please please hang on.

I'm so so happy your husband stayed home today. If you need someone to vent to, please feel free to PM me.

Take care and many hugs.

I was nearly one of those suicide statistics earlier this morning. I had a plan, I had my letters written, and I had the pills saved up. My husband decided to stay home for no particular reason today, and foiled my plans. No joke. Simply for the fact that driveways in MI don't have room for side-by-side parking, I am alive to write to you.

jfitzpatri8, I would third the plea to get some help.

Here are some resources for starting to find help if you're not sure where to turn: From http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/men-and-depression/getting-help/crisis.shtml

"If you are thinking about harming yourself or attempting suicide, tell someone who can help right away:

• Call your doctor's office.
  • Call 911 for emergency services.
  • Go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
  • Call the toll-free, 24-hour hotline of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255); TTY: 1-800-799-4TTY (4889) to be connected to a trained counselor at a suicide crisis center nearest you.
  • Ask a family member or friend to help you make these calls or take you to the hospital.
  • As a research institute, NIMH is not able to monitor this web site for crisis messages or make referrals."
Also, here is an article that's really worth reading on suicide. Written by the daughter of a man who killed himself and the fallout in the lives of everyone he loved. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/13/AR2006071300354.html

Please take care of yourself.

We have lost a few people from our class. Of the ones I know what happened one decided to drop the DVM and just do an MPH as she could do her career either way. Another has gone to another vet school. I haven't kept in touch with either because the e-mail accounts deactivated and I have no other contact info. We have also had some tranfers who seem to be fitting in fine and doing well. Since you are interested in teaching I see no reason that you can't get a degree in education and maybe a masters in whatever you want to teach. I can't think of a situation that having a DVM would be required to teach.

After reading your latest post I would also urge you to talk to someone. Your school should have a mental health advisor I would talk to that person or call your doctor. Please do not go through with your plans.

Thank you all for your suggestions for treatment. I have been in counseling ever since my first semester of vet school. It helps, but there are crises that come up that honestly get past your ability to reason naturally.

I am past the danger zone. Rationality has returned. Thanks for the resources. It really seemed this morning that there were no options, nothing to look forward to.

I promise you that to look at me, you wouldn't know that I'm in so much trouble. Look around your class. There are more like me.

I can't cite the studies... apparently you are right, they are all from the UK. But I've spoken with profs here who are involved in collecting data for a study on this side of the pond... just not ready yet for publication.

I'm glad things are going better tonight. If you are still hitting crisis (what's the plural of crisis?) maybe you need to add another layer of help? Please take advantage of the resources that are available.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

This thread has been reported by several members due to the statement by the OP about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Members who have serious concerns about their career and would like to post details more anonymously may do so in the Confidential Consult forum.

At this time, given the nature of the thread and the concerns expressed, the moderation staff of SDN will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.