Vet School India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB510

Reaction score
Hello, I am a US citizen who studied my undergrad in America. I am looking to apply to vet school and was thinking of going to India (either the University of Mumbai Vet School or Ludhiana). I was hoping someone who has gone a similar path can help me through the process and the pros and cons of each school. Any helpful tips or suggestions would be helpful. I plan on practicing in the USA after vet school.

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan to practice in the US I would strongly encourage you to go to a school accredited by the AVMA. If you go to a school that is not accredited, the process to become licensed in the US is extremely difficult, long, and expensive.

If your heart is set on one of the schools you mentioned, definitely look into the process for practicing in the US afterward to make sure you are making an informed decision that will allow you to accomplish your long term career goals.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I am a US citizen who studied my undergrad in America. I am looking to apply to vet school and was thinking of going to India (either the University of Mumbai Vet School or Ludhiana). I was hoping someone who has gone a similar path can help me through the process and the pros and cons of each school. Any helpful tips or suggestions would be helpful. I plan on practicing in the USA after vet school.
If you want to practice in the US, you should attend an AVMA-accredited program (i.e. one in the states or one of the accredited international programs). Not doing so is going to be an enormous commitment of your time, resources, and money to go through a licensing process that is extremely arduous and difficult to do successfully.

Can I ask why you want to attend a program in India if you intend to practice in the US?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pros of studying in India:
1. Cheaper

Cons:
1. the PAVE/ECFVG path may take you more than a year in order to get a license to practice in the US. I am taking the PAVE path right now and getting an AVMA-accredited school to accept me into the ECE is frustrating since there are only 3 doing so
2. Quality/Focus of education. I am not saying every vet school in the US is necessarily better than those in India, but the NAVLE is designed for AVMA-accredited school graduates, so it will definitely be harder for non-AVMA-accredited school graduates because for my experience in preparing for NAVLE as a non-AVMA accredited graduate (Not from India though), over 70% of the stuffs tested in the NAVLE are not taught in my school.

I did my degree in India too. Pros: SUPER CHEAP tuition. Im debt free at 26. Also, vet school in India doesn't require an undergrad; so I've been practicing since I was 23.

CONS: ECFVG. Not the hardest exam in the world tbh if youre committed. Nobody looks at you differently as long as you know what youre talking about. I passed my ECFVG and NAVLE on my first try; just need to be committed

For example, Im about to start my residency in SAIM at my first choice on my rank list.

Id choose India all over again if I could for the sole pro of financial freedom and still specializing where I want to

Pros of studying in India:
1. Cheaper

Cons:
1. the PAVE/ECFVG path may take you more than a year in order to get a license to practice in the US. I am taking the PAVE path right now and getting an AVMA-accredited school to accept me into the ECE is frustrating since there are only 3 doing so
2. Quality/Focus of education. I am not saying every vet school in the US is necessarily better than those in India, but the NAVLE is designed for AVMA-accredited school graduates, so it will definitely be harder for non-AVMA-accredited school graduates because for my experience in preparing for NAVLE as a non-AVMA accredited graduate (Not from India though), over 70% of the stuffs tested in the NAVLE are not taught in my school.
Hey, exactly how much time does it take to join Evaluated clinical experience after completion of QSE.