Vet School Interview Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RosieMoll3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading over these "Interview Feedback" entries, and I have to say that some of the questions asked at the interviews are pretty bogus. To list a few:

"How would you repair an intususseption on a lamb?"
Hell if I know. On a horse, that sort of thing would fall under the large umbrella of "colic" (at least I've never heard them use the term "intususseption "), and it would likely be surgical. But I can't say I've ever been elbow deep in a horse's intestines in the OR.

"What are the differences between beef and poultry production?"
Um, one involves cattle and the other involves chicken. That's all I've got.

And my personal favorite:
"Tell me everything you know about the brown recluse spider"
NOT A GODDAMN THING.

I must not have taken my ritalin the day they taught us all of this in organic chem. I've worked with equine vets, large animal surgeons, small animal vets, and veterinary ophthalmologists, but that obviously isn't adequate preparation for any of these bombs.

Members don't see this ad.

These questions are asked to 'trip you up.' I was asked in my interview about what the clinical symptoms of TB were. I didn't know at the time and stated that in my reply - they like to see if you are willing to be honest and say you don't know, or if you will try to make something up. These questions are also used to catch you off guard and see how you react to that kind of a stressful situation. Just be yourself, be honest, and you'll be fine. Best wishes.

"How would you repair an intususseption on a lamb?"
"What are the differences between beef and poultry production?"
I'm wondering whether (hoping!) those things were maybe based on stuff in the applicant's file? Like, they did a research project on the brown recluse, or shadowed both beef and poultry vets...?

There are a couple pre-vet clubs that post lists of interview questions their members have gotten, and I remember reading one that asked "How do you tell the difference between a goat and a sheep?" which seems like a question much more tailored to someone who had never actually worked with either (i.e. I could come up with a fairly reasonable response given only my petting zoo experience).

Maybe they're looking for thinking-on-your-feet skills, answers like "I'd grab my food animal surgery textbook, look for intussusception in the index... and then call for a consult." :)

Since the brown recluse is really geographically limited, that sounds like an example of something I hear some schools do, which is ask you regionally specific questions about disease prevalence or local current events. I guess they want to know, maybe especially if you're out of state, that you care enough to look up relevant veterinary issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
And my personal favorite:
NOT A GODDAMN THING.
LOL, Rosie, this was my interview at Kstate. I had actually taken a course called "spider biology" at my undergrad the semester before my interview, and they were basically looking through my transcripts picking random questions from courses I had taken, to see how good my memory was. so don't worry...they won't ask that. but Kstate loves to ask you about politics and other common sense stuff

good luck :)
Bari

Maybe the person who posted about his/her MSU interview (or anybody who interviewed at MSU) can help me out here... What exactly were they asking about the school that you couldn't find the answers to online? Do you have any suggestions where I might find that info? Do you have any other profound insight that would be helpful prior to my interview in a few weeks?

Much thanks in advance:love:

Jen

Maybe the person who posted about his/her MSU interview (or anybody who interviewed at MSU) can help me out here... What exactly were they asking about the school that you couldn't find the answers to online? Do you have any suggestions where I might find that info? Do you have any other profound insight that would be helpful prior to my interview in a few weeks?

Much thanks in advance:love:

Jen
Assuming you mean Michigan and not Mississippi
It may benefit you if you read about the problem of Bovine TB in white tailed deer.......

To the student applying to MSU, if you mean Michigan state, when did you find out about your interview? I am waiting to hear from MSU and I am trying to get a handle on timeframes for them. I dont mean to pry, but when did you get your supplemental app in, when was it completly processed, ect.. Thanks a bunch

As far as advice, I have heard from many vet in michigan that the interview process is regional, ie the bovine tb and deer relationship, also maybe be able to discuss the dove hunting proposal that was on the ballet last week?

Thanks, goodluck

last year they asked me how to recognize fear in a horse, what I felt about using animals to learn in surgery and then euthanizing them afterwards, irregardless, ummmm bird flu stuff...specifically what would I do to prevent the disease progressing from wild birds (migratory) to chickens, what would I do if my boss (sr. vet) was skimming drugs and using them on himself, and finally the best and most memorable question: Name 3 things at the local Wal Mart that you could pick off the shelf that touched the hands of a veterinarian at some point. That's all I can remember. It was a relaxed environment and pretty much non-threatening. Oh and as a good question for the interviewers, maybe ask them why they volunteered to interview potential students. This got a good response for me. Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Loren

Adeno,

Thanks for the advice! GREAT question for them - thanks a ton for that one! I certainly have some research to do in preparation, fortunately I have thanksgiving break for that.

To the other post,
I heard Tuesday via email. My VMCAS went in very early Sept., the supplement came/was due mid sept. and here we are. Does that help?

Jen

To the other post,
I heard Tuesday via email. My VMCAS went in very early Sept., the supplement came/was due mid sept. and here we are. Does that help?

Jen

Yes. I think so. :D

I really should just sit back and try to relax. I keep reminding myself that it's only November.

And with 13 schools, and work, and class, it was hard to do anything other than one at a time, deadline by deadline. So, no early-birding for me with this.

Thanks to all for commenting!

I got the question "What are the differences between beef and poultry production?" in my Kansas State interview I didn't have any poultry or beef production experience. That was the first question they asked me and it caught me completely off guard! The rest of my interview went downhill after that. Someone I know got the same question and she answered that poultry production is a vertically integrated industry and beef production is not and they really liked that answer. Her interview went great and mine didn't and we were both wait listed.

I got the question "What are the differences between beef and poultry production?" in my Kansas State interview I didn't have any poultry or beef production experience. That was the first question they asked me and it caught me completely off guard! The rest of my interview went downhill after that. Someone I know got the same question and she answered that poultry production is a vertically integrated industry and beef production is not and they really liked that answer. Her interview went great and mine didn't and we were both wait listed.

Another answer for that question is that beef cattle are mostly extensively managed and poultry is very intensively managed. A complete answer would probably have both (degree of vertical integration and intensity of management) in it. This is a question I had on exams in animal science classes.

Oh and about the question someone posted about 3 things at WalMart that passed through a vet's hands, all I can think of is meat, I don't think milk has to be tested by a vet but not sure, and I can't come up with anything else and I feel like I should know!!

I agree that the brown recluse question is probably a regional thing, I only recently learned about them (we have widows where I'm from), and the intususseption thing I would only be able to make the assumption that since it is basically always surgical in the horse, it would be in a lamb too, but I would think that most lambs would be dead by the time anyone found out. or maybe it means something different in ovines?
Sorry I can't contribute any of my own interview questions, I am out of state and my dumb-*** in-state school never wanted to interview me. I did hear that the interview questions at OK St. were pretty random... literally... my friend said she drew cards from a deck and got questions like "What was the last book you read." Other people said they talked about the weather...

good luck to all on interviews!

I interviewed at Michigan, Auburn, and Tennessee last year, and out of all of those, Michigan was my most challenging interview, but it was also one of the ones I felt most comfortable in. From some of the questions I've seen above it was challenging for others as well, but I have to say that any challening questions I received were ones I opened myself up for. My Michigan interview was basically in the format of the interviewers asking questions more in depth on something I said until I couldn't answer the questions anymore. And before that scares any of you off, it wasn't that bad. For example, they asked some of the dangers animals faced after Hurricane Katrina and I brought up the issue of standing water and diseases. Then they ask me what kind of diseases are in standing water. Of course my mind blanked with a question like that and all I could think of was Lepto, but that was good enough. I talked about wanting to specialize in surgery, and they asked what kind I had seen. Then they asked if I felt I had seen a lot of spay procedures. When I said yes, they asked me to walk them through a spay from intubation to extubation. I know that may seem like a lot, but I have to tell you it really wasn't that bad. I think showing confidence in what you do know and admitting what you don't know is what they're going for. They don't want someone who's cocky and thinks they know everything, but if you do know it, don't be afraid to show them.

I was freaking out about it right afterwards, but as the days passed I realized I had given good answers to most of their questions, and I had pretty much set myself up for those questions in the first place. There were some I couldn't answer, and there were some where I gave them an answer they hadn't thought of. It seemed like the day I interviewed at Michigan (same day as adeno above, if I recall correctly) most people got some difficult questions, but for the most part it seemed like they were questions about something the person had experience with. One girl got asked about the estrous cycle in cows (for which I would have had no answer at all), but she had worked in cattle repro so that's why they asked the questions.

As far as situational/ethical questions, that's different. Those are hard in general, and everyone got them. I think they're hard because the people asking them are experienced and have been through some of these situations, where as we haven't had that experience and wouldn't be as confident in our answers. My advice is to take your time thinking it through. They'll appreciate you giving it thought rather than blurting out the first thing that comes to mind. And be confident once you've decided on your answer. Don't be cocky (my answer's the only answer), be confident.

I think another reason I liked Michigan was because it was one on two, as opposed to one on three at Auburn and UT. Adding that third interviewer really makes me uncomfortable. As far as Auburn goes, I felt the entire interview was awkward and the school just made me uncomfortable. (Nothing bad about the school, I just didn't feel like I belonged there.) Ut was great, they really took the time to show you why they want you.

After all of that I ended up at UGA (which doesn't interview but I think should). I think the interview was just as much for the school as it was for me. The school's got a chance to sell themselves to me just as I got to sell myself to them. It was kind of hard to go to UGA where I hadn't met anyone there after feeling so comfortable (minus the snow) at Michigan. And that's my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Michigan, Auburn, and Tennessee last year, and out of all of those, Michigan was my most challenging interview, but it was also one of the ones I felt most comfortable in. From some of the questions I've seen above it was challenging for others as well, but I have to say that any challening questions I received were ones I opened myself up for. My Michigan interview was basically in the format of the interviewers asking questions more in depth on something I said until I couldn't answer the questions anymore. And before that scares any of you off, it wasn't that bad. For example, they asked some of the dangers animals faced after Hurricane Katrina and I brought up the issue of standing water and diseases. Then they ask me what kind of diseases are in standing water. Of course my mind blanked with a question like that and all I could think of was Lepto, but that was good enough. I talked about wanting to specialize in surgery, and they asked what kind I had seen. Then they asked if I felt I had seen a lot of spay procedures. When I said yes, they asked me to walk them through a spay from intubation to extubation. I know that may seem like a lot, but I have to tell you it really wasn't that bad. I think showing confidence in what you do know and admitting what you don't know is what they're going for. They don't want someone who's cocky and thinks they know everything, but if you do know it, don't be afraid to show them.

I was freaking out about it right afterwards, but as the days passed I realized I had given good answers to most of their questions, and I had pretty much set myself up for those questions in the first place. There were some I couldn't answer, and there were some where I gave them an answer they hadn't thought of. It seemed like the day I interviewed at Michigan (same day as adeno above, if I recall correctly) most people got some difficult questions, but for the most part it seemed like they were questions about something the person had experience with. One girl got asked about the estrous cycle in cows (for which I would have had no answer at all), but she had worked in cattle repro so that's why they asked the questions.

As far as situational/ethical questions, that's different. Those are hard in general, and everyone got them. I think they're hard because the people asking them are experienced and have been through some of these situations, where as we haven't had that experience and wouldn't be as confident in our answers. My advice is to take your time thinking it through. They'll appreciate you giving it thought rather than blurting out the first thing that comes to mind. And be confident once you've decided on your answer. Don't be cocky (my answer's the only answer), be confident.

I think another reason I liked Michigan was because it was one on two, as opposed to one on three at Auburn and UT. Adding that third interviewer really makes me uncomfortable. As far as Auburn goes, I felt the entire interview was awkward and the school just made me uncomfortable. (Nothing bad about the school, I just didn't feel like I belonged there.) Ut was great, they really took the time to show you why they want you.

After all of that I ended up at UGA (which doesn't interview but I think should). I think the interview was just as much for the school as it was for me. The school's got a chance to sell themselves to me just as I got to sell myself to them. It was kind of hard to go to UGA where I hadn't met anyone there after feeling so comfortable (minus the snow) at Michigan. And that's my 2 cents.

So how bad does it look really if you say "I don't know" to a lot of the questions? I would not know about the differences in the poultry or cattle industry, and as far as standing water I would probably blank out too. I don't get the point of such questions though UNLESS they're just looking to see HOW you respond, not really what your response is. Of course something general like animal research everone should know, but the brown recluse spider? Come on now, they're gonna judge my suitability for vet school from that? I mean once you're actually out in vet school and then out in the field you will have plenty of time to develop more founded opinions and random vet related knowledge, right??:confused:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Admitting you don't know something is far better than wetting your pants over it or trying to make something up.

Oh and about the question someone posted about 3 things at WalMart that passed through a vet's hands, all I can think of is meat, I don't think milk has to be tested by a vet but not sure, and I can't come up with anything else and I feel like I should know!!
Pet food!

Oh, and anything made of wool. (Not *all* sheep are touched by a vet, but then again not *every* piece of meat is either, so I have to think it would count.) Similarly, down pillows and comforters and jackets.

Hm... Any medicine would have been tested on animals, but that's usually a PhD doing the actual drug trials...

So how bad does it look really if you say "I don't know" to a lot of the questions? I would not know about the differences in the poultry or cattle industry, and as far as standing water I would probably blank out too. I don't get the point of such questions though UNLESS they're just looking to see HOW you respond, not really what your response is. Of course something general like animal research everone should know, but the brown recluse spider? Come on now, they're gonna judge my suitability for vet school from that? I mean once you're actually out in vet school and then out in the field you will have plenty of time to develop more founded opinions and random vet related knowledge, right??:confused:

Here's what I'm going to compare it to... the GRE. You know how in the GRE, they ask the next questions based on how you respond to the previous question? So if you get the question right, they ask a harder one, if you get it wrong they ask a slightly easier one. I think my interview was kind of like that. They drew it out as far as I could go and once I got stuck they moved on. Part of it might be not only to see if you can admit what you don't know, but also to see how much depth your veterinary experience gave you. I think they want people who learned something in their experiences, not someone who just spent a lot of time but got nothing from it. And while some of that could be attributed to who you did your pre-vet work with, for the majority, if you're there to learn you'll do your best to get something from it.

I also think they purposefully ask questions they know you can't answer to see how you respond. Because let me tell you in case you didn't know, vet school is hard. They need to know you can handle it and maybe that's the best way they've come up with. So I think your responses are judged on two things: how you respond and what you respond with. For some questions one of those may count for more than the other, but in the end it's about the overall interview. Don't get caught up in the fact you couldn't answer a few questions. Just stay calm and do the best you can overall. They're not going to look back and say "Oh my goodness, that person didn't know the life cycle of a brown recluse spider; they'll never make it in vet school." I bet 9 out of 10 interviewers don't know the answer to that either, unless they've been bit by one. Being on an interview panel doesn't make them the most knowledgeable person in the world, they just get to pretend to be that person for that hour.

Now, all of this is my opinion as I have no knowledge of the workings of admissions/interview committees, but from the outside looking in that's what I've come up with.

Pet food!

Oh, and anything made of wool. (Not *all* sheep are touched by a vet, but then again not *every* piece of meat is either, so I have to think it would count.) Similarly, down pillows and comforters and jackets.

Hm... Any medicine would have been tested on animals, but that's usually a PhD doing the actual drug trials...

Hmmm. OK. I was thinking of the actual finished product, and I kept debating in my head whether wool had to be inspected by a vet and came up with 'no.' Same with pet food. I toured a pet food plant and there no vets around.
Leave it to me to interpret questions too narrowly...

Hmmm. OK. I was thinking of the actual finished product,

But then meat would also be a "no". My understanding comes only from "Fast Food Nation" and an episode of "Dirty Jobs", but I thought the vet's role in food production basically ends when the animal dies. The cutting/packing portion of the journey is inspected by OSHA and the USDA, and quality grading and stuff are done by trained inspectors, but no vets touch the actual "finished product".

Obviously it's just a question to test the breadth of your familiarity with "alternative" careers in the veterinary field...

Am I missing something here? My immediate reaction to this question would be stuff like alcohol, gauze, tape-all things used by vets in their daily practice. Is the question meant to be more involved then this?

Am I missing something here? My immediate reaction to this question would be stuff like alcohol, gauze, tape-all things used by vets in their daily practice.
The question as quoted was:
adenovirus said:
Name 3 things at the local Wal Mart that you could pick off the shelf that touched the hands of a veterinarian at some point.
I think the rest of us took this to mean, a veterinarian was involved somewhere in the production chain before the item got onto the WalMart shelf, rather than "what items that are sold in in WalMart might a veterinarian use?" (That particular roll of tape has *not* been touched by a veterinarian yet, if it's still sitting on the shelf...)

On the interview feedback site there's a question like "name 5 things you can find in Meijer's [a grocery store perhaps??] related to veterinary medicine" and that sounds more open-ended, like you could say alcohol and gauze and whatnot.

The cutting/packing portion of the journey is inspected by OSHA and the USDA, and quality grading and stuff are done by trained inspectors, but no vets touch the actual "finished product".

The USDA does hire veterinarians as inspectors as well as researchers. This question may be asked to see if you understand there are veterinary positions that are not clinical positions.

The USDA does hire veterinarians as inspectors as well as researchers. This question may be asked to see if you understand there are veterinary positions that are not clinical positions.

My understanding is/was that all meat must be inspected by a veterinarian.
This first link is from the eu, but it came up on a search:

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/f84003.htm
"The inspection tasks of the official veterinarian concern the following aspects:

* post-mortem inspections. Carcases and offal of slaughtered animals are subjected to visual inspection. With a view to a definitive diagnosis, or to detect the presence of an animal disease or other factors rendering the meat unfit for consumption, the official veterinarian may conduct an additional examination and take samples for scientific analysis in the laboratory...
At least one official veterinarian should be present throughout both the ante-mortem and post-mortem inspections..."

So I guess a veterinarian is not technically stamping the meat, but shoot, maybe he/she reached out and touched it with their super-eye-beams.

Here is a job discription from CA
http://www.dpa.ca.gov/textdocs/specs/s0/s0413.txt

I have spent the last half-hour digging for what the law actually is in the US, so I still don't know if every carcass must be inspected by a veterinarian. My memory from animal science class is about all I have to work with now... I will keep looking.

yes I know I am taking this a little far but it is for my own curiosity now, and for all I know it may end up on an exam (boards?) someday.

"In addition to working in slaughter and processing establishments, veterinarians are also employed as epidemiologists, pathologists, auditors, risk analysts and biosecurity experts."
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Careers/veterinary_opportunities/index.asp

I don't think that you are taking this topic to far. I don't know that EVERY piece of meat gets touched by a veterinarian, although I do know that the USDA does surveillance. Carcasses and meat undergoing surveillance does get handled by a veterinarian. Again I think the reason they might ask such a question as "name 3 things touched by a veterinarian at walmart" is to see if you understand that veterinarians have different jobs than just clinicians. Veterinarians can be involved in the research to design new medications for people, or hand lotions, etc.

Again I think the reason they might ask such a question as "name 3 things touched by a veterinarian at walmart" is to see if you understand that veterinarians have different jobs than just clinicians. Veterinarians can be involved in the research to design new medications for people, or hand lotions, etc.

Yup I agree with you on that. The government/public service area of vet med is underserved, not to mention the general public is oblivious to what that T-bone went through to get on their plate.

So considering the federal meat inspection act does not have any word beginning with "vet-" in it (I actually read the whole thing, too), I am going to assume that the regulation is that a federal veterinarian must be on the floor at all times, but that an approved/trained meat inspector is the one putting those little USDA stamps on the carcass.

Interesting discussion, everyone :thumbup:

Am I missing something here? My immediate reaction to this question would be stuff like alcohol, gauze, tape-all things used by vets in their daily practice. Is the question meant to be more involved then this?

Haha, yeah I would've blown this one too. My first thought was paper towels, toilet paper, etc.. things that the vet I worked for always seemed to enjoy buying when out shopping. I can imagine the looks on their faces after that. What can I say I'm just the kennel help!

Has anyone interviewed at University of IL in previous years? I haven't seen any entries in the "interview feedback" section but I was wondering if anyone had any helpful info.
Thanks,
Lindsay