vet school ranks?

Started by rohchris
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been using a duffel bag for tossing my dirty laundry into. Makes it really easy to carry down the stairs to do the laundry (and because I don't feel like buying a clothes hamper and carrying it back to my flat...)

And I didn't know that you could fold a fitted sheet. I have the stuff into a somewhat-folded-looking ball and toss into drawer. And sewing... I can do simple things, like fix a hole in a seam or sew a button back on, but real sewing.. forget it.

I own two sewing machines, an overlock serger and several large bins of fabric for projects. I can sort laundry into baskets but getting around to doing it takes longer than I'd like. Same with dishes. I do my dishes by hand out of habit, even in houses with dishwashers.

And school rankings can suck it.
 
Noooo... If there's a dishwasher, I'm using it. The new one has a 'top rack only' setting for small loads, and an overnight wash that uses less than a sinkfull of water. It's strange to think that running the dishwasher uses less water than doing dishes by hand, but I'm pretty sure that's usually the case if you have more than like 5 items to wash.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ditto on everyone's replies regarding rankings. (THERE, I addressed the actual topic!)

As far as laundry goes...isn't that why you go to vet school, so the only clothes you'll ever need for the rest of your life are scrubs?

And...I used to think that designing a kitchen with 2 dishwashers was pretentious. Now, I know how necessary it is. One machine contains the dishes you just washed (and pick from when you need an item), and the other is gradually filling up with the dirty dishes, thus keeping your sink clear for regular sink functions. No real need for kitchen cabinets except to hold the rarely used cooking/eating supplies.
 
As far as laundry goes...isn't that why you go to vet school, so the only clothes you'll ever need for the rest of your life are scrubs?
Hmmm. Students on clinical rotations NEVER wear scrubs here (except for the exceptions bunnity mentions in a post a few posts down from here). You are supposed to dress professionally (ties for men😱) in the Small Animal Hospital and khaki and polos at the large animal hospital here.
 
Last edited:
Hmmm. Students on clinical rotations NEVER wear scrubs here. You are supposed to dress professionally (ties for men😱) in the Small Animal Hospital and khaki and polos at the large animal hospital here.



Khakis and a polo when you have your arm up a cow's nether region?

:wtf:
 
Yep. Our students wear scrubs while in surgery and that's about it. I think they can wear them on the overnight ICU shift but that's all I can think of.
actually i recall one of our LA surgeons had a bug up his but about scrubs. He insisted scrubs are ONLY supposed to be worn in surgery, and you should not be seen wearing them outside of the hospital/surgical area. You're supposed to change INTO scrubs to go into surgery, as they should be clean, and take them off after surgery as they are potentially contaminated. He disdained the SA staff wearing scrubs all the time.
 
Khakis and a polo when you have your arm up a cow's nether region?

:wtf:

We wear all kinds of things..

Equine: Khakis and polo
Large Animal: coveralls and pull on boots
SA: either professional attire (if seeing clients), semi professional attire, or scrubs (if handling animals or surgery)

We have a whole spreadsheet so we know what to wear each week for rotations... its that complicated.
 
Penn students wear scrubs on ES and special species rotations as well as surgery... and I will be wearing mine at every opportunity 😛
 
Hmmm. Students on clinical rotations NEVER wear scrubs here. You are supposed to dress professionally (ties for men😱) in the Small Animal Hospital and khaki and polos at the large animal hospital here.

We have kakhis and polos, too, for the large animal people. And yeah, mostly horses there, although lately lots of alpacas. haha

In the small animal, I think they usually have professional attire under their lab coats during the week, but on weekends most people are wearing normal clothes and scrubs.
 
actually i recall one of our LA surgeons had a bug up his but about scrubs. He insisted scrubs are ONLY supposed to be worn in surgery, and you should not be seen wearing them outside of the hospital/surgical area. You're supposed to change INTO scrubs to go into surgery, as they should be clean, and take them off after surgery as they are potentially contaminated. He disdained the SA staff wearing scrubs all the time.

Our head SA surgeon believes this too, wont let you in the sx rooms unless you have changed out of your "dirty" scrubs into your clean ones, or unless your clean scrubs have been covered by a lab coat or something while youve been outside the surgery rooms. I don't disagree with her - I don't think its appropriate to wear the scrubs I've been handling animals all day into surgery, a clean pair would be better.

That said students here where professional attire with a dorky clinic coat that makes us look like dentists in SA, scrubs in Sx and overalls for LA. I hate my clinic coat so so much, I can't wait to graduate and never wear it ever again! However, ALL the other staff all wear scrubs of various colours, why can't I? 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My friends in dental school have to wear scrubs every day during their schooling, even during their pre-clinical years.... I wish vet med would let us do the same!!

You can definitely wear scrubs at OSU. Everyday may give you a few weird looks, though :laugh:
 
Y'all fold laundry? Mine goes from dryer to clean hamper to me to dirty hamper/floor. I actually have a separate hamper just for dirty underwear, because i will sometimes rewear clothing, but never ever underwear. Super nasty clothing that cannot be reworn goes into the underwear hamper.

Sheets go off the bed, wash, then sutured back onto the bed (apparently i kick a lot)

Man, if the ability to become a good doctor rested on laundry folding skills, I should probably drop out now.

If you haven't gotten them, sheet suspenders will change your life! I turn a lot and a fitted sheet stays on for a max of 5 days, and now I have these suspenders on all four corners and it stays put. Best invention ever 😍

ETA: I think these are the ones I have, http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14808051
 
Please don't be that person that wears scrubs every day to regular lecture. I know they're comfortable but...please :\

I don't do this, but not sure I understand the rant.

A lot of people wear scrubs to lecture because they have shifts before or after or whatever, and I don't even think twice.

What's wrong with this? If they like scrubs, they like scrubs.
 
I don't do this, but not sure I understand the rant.

A lot of people wear scrubs to lecture because they have shifts before or after or whatever, and I don't even think twice.

What's wrong with this? If they like scrubs, they like scrubs.

I guess I could see it if you have a shift 5 minutes before/after class starts but otherwise... is it really that hard to put clothing on? I used to be a ballet dancer but I never wore my leotard+tights around town before/after classes or rehearsal.

Last semester I had a 7pm physics class and this one kid always wore scrubs to class. He sure as heck wasn't going to work after class which means he was coming from working in some sort of health care setting... which, just, ew. At the ends of my shifts I'm usually covered in fur and sweat with maybe a touch of urine or blood. 🙄
 
I don't do this, but not sure I understand the rant.

A lot of people wear scrubs to lecture because they have shifts before or after or whatever, and I don't even think twice.

What's wrong with this? If they like scrubs, they like scrubs.

My opinion is that the whole point of scrubs is so that you can get dirty at work (blood, hair, etc) without "transmitting" it to the rest of the world. When I wear scrubs, I have either washed them at work (lab animal) or brought them home, changed out and put them either into the laundry or a laundry basket. Wearing scrubs to class, especially if you're coming from work, is just dragging all of that stuff into the classroom. I don't know about other schools, but our scrubs and coveralls from the teaching hospital/barn areas are not permitted upstairs in the lecture part of the school for that very reason.

Plus, like felinelvr says, I think you can request to leave two minutes early to change your clothes. It isn't like you're moving in and out of BSL 4 and have to shower out and de-Tyvek yourself :d I feel like those who wear scrubs outside of their intended setting are, at some level, looking for attention. Sure, they're comfortable, but sweats and a tshirt are essentially the same thing but without the accoutrements of vet med.
 
My opinion is that the whole point of scrubs is so that you can get dirty at work (blood, hair, etc) without "transmitting" it to the rest of the world. When I wear scrubs, I have either washed them at work (lab animal) or brought them home, changed out and put them either into the laundry or a laundry basket. Wearing scrubs to class, especially if you're coming from work, is just dragging all of that stuff into the classroom. I don't know about other schools, but our scrubs and coveralls from the teaching hospital/barn areas are not permitted upstairs in the lecture part of the school for that very reason.

Plus, like felinelvr says, I think you can request to leave two minutes early to change your clothes. It isn't like you're moving in and out of BSL 4 and have to shower out and de-Tyvek yourself :d I feel like those who wear scrubs outside of their intended setting are, at some level, looking for attention. Sure, they're comfortable, but sweats and a tshirt are essentially the same thing but without the accoutrements of vet med.

Most of the time you're probably right, but maybe sometimes you just legit don't have time? I was guilty of doing that occasionally. Not everyday, but I would sometimes wear scrubs to anatomy lab and unless I left lab early I would have 5-10 minutes to get to biochem, so I would always be late or just barely make it on time (it was in a different building a few minute walk away) without stopping to change.
 
My question is how do 130+ girls change into scrubs for anatomy during a ten minute class break window.... I don't remember how many bathrooms I saw at OSU (don't remember a changing area either), but how does everyone change and then get to class on time? Or do most people wear scrubs to the class before that, then change after?
 
Most of the time you're probably right, but maybe sometimes you just legit don't have time? I was guilty of doing that occasionally. Not everyday, but I would sometimes wear scrubs to anatomy lab and unless I left lab early I would have 5-10 minutes to get to biochem, so I would always be late or just barely make it on time (it was in a different building a few minute walk away) without stopping to change.

Undergrad is different than vet school as far as walking and such go. 😉
 
My question is how do 130+ girls change into scrubs for anatomy during a ten minute class break window.... I don't remember how many bathrooms I saw at OSU (don't remember a changing area either), but how does everyone change and then get to class on time? Or do most people wear scrubs to the class before that, then change after?

All I will say is :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Most people wear scrubs to class and then change after anatomy.
 
My question is how do 130+ girls change into scrubs for anatomy during a ten minute class break window.... I don't remember how many bathrooms I saw at OSU (don't remember a changing area either), but how does everyone change and then get to class on time? Or do most people wear scrubs to the class before that, then change after?

I hadnt even thought of that! It'd be nice if anatomy lab was first thing in the morning but I don't think it is...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hadnt even thought of that! It'd be nice if anatomy lab was first thing in the morning but I don't think it is...

You have anatomy lecture first and then lab. So most people go to class in scrubs and then change after lab.
 
Undergrad is different than vet school as far as walking and such go. 😉

👍

I see what you're saying, FS, I guess I just don't see why one wouldn't say hey dudes, I'm an adult and I'm making the executive decision to bounce two minutes earlier than the class end time so that I can change my clothes so I can get to my next class on time. At my particular school, we get 10mins between classes and if we have anatomy in the morning, we would just leave a couple of minutes early to make sure we had time to change out of scrubs (we have a locker room). Plus if it's the whole class, it isn't like someone's going to call you out and yell at you for being super late to class. I just feel like it's a do-able thing.
 
👍

I see what you're saying, FS, I guess I just don't see why one wouldn't say hey dudes, I'm an adult and I'm making the executive decision to bounce two minutes earlier than the class end time so that I can change my clothes so I can get to my next class on time. At my particular school, we get 10mins between classes and if we have anatomy in the morning, we would just leave a couple of minutes early to make sure we had time to change out of scrubs (we have a locker room). Plus if it's the whole class, it isn't like someone's going to call you out and yell at you for being super late to class. I just feel like it's a do-able thing.

Can't I also make an executive decision as an adult to say that I don't feel like changing two or four or six times a day (especially in our co-ed locker room with 125 people) between classes and labs and spay dog care and that I'll wear what I want?

I totally understand biosecurity between different parts of the hospital i.e. we are not allowed to wear the same clothes from the barns into anywhere surgery/anesthesia related. But acting like the classroom is some kind of sterile environment is kind of weird. If you were at work for a full day you would eat, drink, use your phone, use the bathroom, etc. all while wearing the same clothes. How is that any different from going from an AM hospital shift, to class, to lab, back to class?

Also, if you think anyone IN vet school wearing scrubs to class is looking for attention that makes no sense.
 
Last edited:
👍

I see what you're saying, FS, I guess I just don't see why one wouldn't say hey dudes, I'm an adult and I'm making the executive decision to bounce two minutes earlier than the class end time so that I can change my clothes so I can get to my next class on time. At my particular school, we get 10mins between classes and if we have anatomy in the morning, we would just leave a couple of minutes early to make sure we had time to change out of scrubs (we have a locker room). Plus if it's the whole class, it isn't like someone's going to call you out and yell at you for being super late to class. I just feel like it's a do-able thing.

At my undergrad doing that would have resulted in scathing remarks from professors and probably a complete inability to get LORs from any of them for any reason ever. In my opinion it's incredibly rude to leave class early.

And why can't a person wear clean scrubs even if they don't have a lab/clinic/other thing for which scrubs are required right after? Unless there's a dress code that precludes scrubs, what's wrong with people wearing them? They can be comfy.
 
At my undergrad doing that would have resulted in scathing remarks from professors and probably a complete inability to get LORs from any of them for any reason ever. In my opinion it's incredibly rude to leave class early.

And why can't a person wear clean scrubs even if they don't have a lab/clinic/other thing for which scrubs are required right after? Unless there's a dress code that precludes scrubs, what's wrong with people wearing them? They can be comfy.
Scrubs = PJs = Happiness
 
Plus, like felinelvr says, I think you can request to leave two minutes early to change your clothes.

Leave lecture early? Personally, I find it really distracting and super rude when people start packing up their crap and moving around and leaving when the lecture is still going. If someone doesn't want to listen to lecture, that's cool. But don't inhibit my ability to pay attention - that's rude.

I mean... Once in a while or for abnormal situations, sure. Stuff happens. But if it were daily to change clothes? I'd be annoyed with that person for being disruptive.
 
Leave lecture early? Personally, I find it really distracting and super rude when people start packing up their crap and moving around and leaving when the lecture is still going. If someone doesn't want to listen to lecture, that's cool. But don't inhibit my ability to pay attention - that's rude.

I mean... Once in a while or for abnormal situations, sure. Stuff happens. But if it were daily to change clothes? I'd be annoyed with that person for being disruptive.

I agree completely. I really don't see the big deal in coming to school in clean scrubs so that on your ten minute break before anatomy lab you can go to the bathroom and grab a drink. I did it all. the. time.

Leaving class two minutes early is disruptive and rude. Plus, usually 1/4 - 1/2 of the class has lab at a time. You really think it's okay for that many people to stand up and leave class early just to change? Talk about disruptive. Especially when there's nothing whatsoever wrong with wearing clean scrubs to sit in lecture. You don't want to? Fine, whatever. But having an issue with anyone who does? I just don't get it.
 
I agree completely. I really don't see the big deal in coming to school in clean scrubs so that on your ten minute break before anatomy lab you can go to the bathroom and grab a drink. I did it all. the. time.

Leaving class two minutes early is disruptive and rude. Plus, usually 1/4 - 1/2 of the class has lab at a time. You really think it's okay for that many people to stand up and leave class early just to change? Talk about disruptive. Especially when there's nothing whatsoever wrong with wearing clean scrubs to sit in lecture. You don't want to? Fine, whatever. But having an issue with anyone who does? I just don't get it.

FS was talking about an undergrad situation. It's not really comparable. His situation makes sense to me, a lot of what people on both sides are saying I agree with.

I still get the feeling that there's a particular group of people who wear scrubs to feel cool/like a doctor/like the attention if they're out in public. This group is probably the minority but it exists. I think those are the people that redhead has an issue with.
 
👍

I see what you're saying, FS, I guess I just don't see why one wouldn't say hey dudes, I'm an adult and I'm making the executive decision to bounce two minutes earlier than the class end time so that I can change my clothes so I can get to my next class on time. At my particular school, we get 10mins between classes and if we have anatomy in the morning, we would just leave a couple of minutes early to make sure we had time to change out of scrubs (we have a locker room). Plus if it's the whole class, it isn't like someone's going to call you out and yell at you for being super late to class. I just feel like it's a do-able thing.

Didn't want to annoy professors, and at that time I was assuming I'd be staying at TAMU for vet school and continuing to see the same faculty. Also, I didn't want to bail early on my anatomy group members every day and not help them clean up and put away the cadaver. Also, each week certain groups would have to stay after to clean the lab before the vet students had their anatomy lab in the afternoon.

I did leave early some days and change, but frankly I would've felt like a tool ditching out early on my group if I did it every lab. And changing and being late wasn't an option often times, not only to avoid the rude distraction of showing up late, but my biochem homework was always due right at the start of lecture.

As others have said, undergrad which I am talking about, is a bit different than in vet school.
 
Where's the "I surrender" smiley?

I don't advocate leaving class early to change. Wear your clean scrubs to class, it's cool. I just think that if at all possible, you should make an effort to wear clean clothes (or not animal-soiled clothes) into the classroom. Sorry to offend.

And yes, FH, it's those who wear them all of the time and out in public a lot that I have the real issue with.
 
Last edited: