Vet tech before vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RordOfTheMBKT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not too long ago I decided i want to pursue becoming a veterinarian and ive been researching like crazy. I did have this one question i couldnt find much advice online tho, and this place seems like a good one to ask it. Would it be beneficiall to spend the time and money becoming a certified vet tech before starting the road to being a vet? in my area theres a 2 year community college course for it, but its kinda pricey. i understand that you need vet clinic experience etc etc so ive been on the hunt for kennel assistant type jobs with vets. Should i just stick to something like that or would it help at all to be a licenced vet tech "in the field" kinda thing before going into vet school. i ask also because it seems like lots of people here (in school) were techs before. I know you dont HAVE to go thru school to become a tech, but i figure id ask anyways. Help to a vet newb greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Its not worth your time and money if your goal is to become a vet. In the time it would take you to become a certified tech, you could already be accepted to vet school.

The only thing becoming a certified tech does is ensure that you delayed yourself from starting vet school by an extra 2 years.

in my experience it's not necessary at all. if you live in a state where it's required for you to become certified before becoming a tech then it might be worth it. but i have had several tech positions and gained a lot of experience while pursuing the prereq courses for vet school.

i wouldn't waste the time and money on the vet tech degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
That thread was really eye opening. I will make sure to never touch a LVT degree with a ten foot pole.

I wouldn't waste my time or money. When I spoke with the Dean of Admissions at UC Davis, he gave me a lot of suggestions on how to improve my application. I asked him about the RVT thing, and he said that it can hurt your application sometimes. One of the biggest questions that they ask is "Are you teachable?" A lot of the vet techs that do get into vet school have such a hard time switching their way of thinking because they have been doing something for so long a certain way. He said 4 people from the same vet clinic, all techs, applied last year. 3 of them were granted interviews. 2 got in. So it is possible. But it may hurt your application, and it's expensive.

Can having too many hours of veterinary experience hurt it too? What if you have like 10,000 hours?

That's fine, but hopefully you won't need that much! Just make sure there's some variety there - large animal, small animal, exotics/wildlife, research...

So why is this such a common thing, do you think? I got asked this all the time when I was going back to do my pre-vet prereqs, and I've met several vet tech students who think they're just going to breeze into vet school after becoming a CVT.

Frankly, it kind of drives me crazy. I mean, if you were going to be a human doctor, no one would ask you if you were going to go to nursing school first, right?

Twelvetigers: Okay, I'll make sure to have as much variety as possible.

So why is this such a common thing, do you think? I got asked this all the time when I was going back to do my pre-vet prereqs, and I've met several vet tech students who think they're just going to breeze into vet school after becoming a CVT.

Frankly, it kind of drives me crazy. I mean, if you were going to be a human doctor, no one would ask you if you were going to go to nursing school first, right?

Is it that attitude that admissions people hate? (By the way what does adcom mean? Admissions committee?)

That vet school will be easy because they were already vet techs. That's what you meant, right?

No, that doesn't really bother me. Lots of people think getting into vet school will be way easier than it is. I just gently remind them that vet tech schools generally do not include any of the prereqs required for vet school and send them to resources where they can learn more. I doubt any of them still have that attitude by the time admissions committees see their materials. If they ever get around to applying, that is.

I just wonder why so many people -- including tech students -- seem to think that vet tech school is a natural precursor to vet school. Like I said, we wouldn't expect human doctors to become nurses first so why do so many people think vets should first go to tech school? Just seems odd to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least here in Illinois, when people say they are a vet tech, they don't mean that they went to vet tech school. It's just what the job is called. If you are a CVT (certified vet tech) then you went to school for it. Technically I think you're supposed to be called a veterinary assistant if you're not certified but everyone just says tech anyway.

I have a friend who is in tech school and she said the first day of class there were students who thought that they were going to open up their own clinics or that they were already accepted into vet school since they got into vet tech school. lol I really think it's just ignorance on people's parts on not knowing how you really go about getting into vet school.

Edit: I briefly considered tech school when I was starting out just because it was hard for me to find a clinic that would hire me without being certified. Seems a lot of places only hire certified these days.

I've heard it can actually harm your application too. A veterinarian told me that admissions look down on it because you took a position away from people who wanted to be CVTs when you never intended to work as one.

I have a friend who is in tech school and she said the first day of class there were students who thought that they were going to open up their own clinics or that they were already accepted into vet school since they got into vet tech school. lol I really think it's just ignorance on people's parts on not knowing how you really go about getting into vet school.

Wow, that's just crazy. I've heard that confusion enough from the general public, but you'd think someone interested enough in the profession to enroll in tech school would know better than to confuse tech school with vet school!

Edit: I briefly considered tech school when I was starting out just because it was hard for me to find a clinic that would hire me without being certified. Seems a lot of places only hire certified these days.

It's the same in Minnesota. You need to be certified to be a tech and the vet assistant jobs are usually more about cleaning kennels than helping with patients. I understand: if it were my clinic, I'd want to be working with someone who'd actually been trained to help, but it's sure frustrating as a pre-vet.

No, that doesn't really bother me. Lots of people think getting into vet school will be way easier than it is. I just gently remind them that vet tech schools generally do not include any of the prereqs required for vet school and send them to resources where they can learn more. I doubt any of them still have that attitude by the time admissions committees see their materials. If they ever get around to applying, that is.

I just wonder why so many people -- including tech students -- seem to think that vet tech school is a natural precursor to vet school. Like I said, we wouldn't expect human doctors to become nurses first so why do so many people think vets should first go to tech school? Just seems odd to me.

Well, I can tell you what happened in my case.

Picture me: I've gone and read all this information on the UC Davis website and the WesternU website. I see how competitive it is and think to myself "I'll just go way above and beyond everything listed in the averages for people who are accepted. Then they'll have to want me!" What naturally followed thinking about that was "Would a degree as a vet tech make me look even better?"

I kind of assumed that since it was veterinary they would like it. I didn't know their feelings toward the certification were anything but!

So that's where I got it from.

- - - - - - -

I've now decided I'm going to get all my experience from shadowing and being a volunteer.

I see how competitive it is and think to myself "I'll just go way above and beyond everything listed in the averages for people who are accepted. Then they'll have to want me!"

That makes sense. But the way to really do it is to have a better-than-average GPA, a better-than-average GRE, a better-than-average personal statement and recommendations and better-than-average and broader-than-average experience. :D

Try to do way beyond in all of the above and you will burn out long before you get to vet school. Formulating a balanced plan and sticking to it as close as you can and adjusting when you can't will make your application truly shine and better prepare you to manage the stress of vet school, IMHO.

But then again, I've always been more of a turtle than a hare. It took me more than 1.5 YEARS to get to 100 posts on SDN. :)

ETA: ...said the hare. Haha.

Hee. But twelvetigers, you're such a helpful hare! :D

Honestly, I don't have nearly the patience you do for constantly guiding the newbies. Most of the time I just roll my eyes at the questions that have been asked and answered hundreds of times and don't even bother to click. I'm sure your patience will serve you very, very well, though!

We were all in their shoes once - we just need to remember that.

Very true. Which is why I come out of my shell occasionally to post on these threads. :) But I shall never have your superb command of the SDN search function nor your superhuman patience! :D

WOW! Thanks a bunch for the help! I guess i'll stark looking around for some volunteer work i s'pose

Yep! And remember, if you do a good job, they might decide they want to pay you. ;)

Parietal - I'm not sure the 'superhuman patience' translates to real life, for what it's worth. Lol.

WOW! Thanks a bunch for the help! I guess i'll stark looking around for some volunteer work i s'pose

Also be aware that the rules for techs do vary by state. Some states do not require techs to be certified while others do. In Minnesota, you can't be a tech without tech school, but your state may be different. A lot of people on here with tech experience aren't certified because their state doesn't require it. I know that confused me a little when I first started hanging out here.

Good luck!

Parietal - I'm not sure the 'superhuman patience' translates to real life, for what it's worth. Lol.

It would be amazing if it did! I have this mental picture of you running around your school with helpful journal articles printed freshly off PubMed for anyone who was lost or confused in any class at all. :D

Then again, a lot of people think vet school is a 2 year degree, so....not really that odd :p

You could start as a volunteer at a clinic, and then if you're helpful they may hire you as a vet assistant. Then you can get paid for your time. which is nice.

Yep! And remember, if you do a good job, they might decide they want to pay you.
Tis what I did. Course consider that it took me 3 clinics before they started to pay me.

Another reason that I've heard for an LVT not being a good idea is that evidently adcoms have had bad past experiences with LVTs who go in thinking they know everything, find out they don't, and fail out.

Also be aware that the rules for techs do vary by state. Some states do not require techs to be certified while others do. In Minnesota, you can't be a tech without tech school, but your state may be different. A lot of people on here with tech experience aren't certified because their state doesn't require it. I know that confused me a little when I first started hanging out here.

In Arizona, (just recently got tech schools here), I am technically a "vet assitant" but I do everything that a certified tech does. Also in AZ you can work as an assistant for I believe 3500 hours and then all you have to do is take the exam to get your certification (this is about to go away). Now if you get a job as a kennel worker (how I started) you get the fun job of cleaning cages and stocking the clinic. Definetly, check to see what your state requires.

What vet techs get paid doesn't make up for all the money they put into school, right? Do you think states forcing everybody to go to school will make it so there are less people willing to be techs?

Well, many tech programs are at community colleges and take 2-3 years to complete. Total tuition cost would be around $30k or less. Considering my undergrad degree cost about $120k (thank God for my full scholarship!) and my entry-level position in my first career (nonprofit spay/neuter advocacy) earned $28k/year, I'd say the cost of tech school is worth it.

However, as someone else pointed out, this is the last year anyone will be allowed to take the VTNE (tech boards) without graduating fron tech school. I personally plan to take the VTNE in June. For those who live in or near a state that allows alternative pathway credentialing, it may be worth considering. I know I want to be a vet, but becoming an LVT would open other career paths if I didn't make it into vet school and this is the last opportunity to do this without going to school for an extra 2 years.

I've heard it can actually harm your application too. A veterinarian told me that admissions look down on it because you took a position away from people who wanted to be CVTs when you never intended to work as one.

Don't worry, that's not true.

In Arizona, (just recently got tech schools here), I am technically a "vet assitant" but I do everything that a certified tech does. Also in AZ you can work as an assistant for I believe 3500 hours and then all you have to do is take the exam to get your certification (this is about to go away). Now if you get a job as a kennel worker (how I started) you get the fun job of cleaning cages and stocking the clinic. Definetly, check to see what your state requires.

Same here. Only difference really is the fancy title of "Certified Veterinary Technician" and a few dollars an hour raise (if you're lucky).

However, as someone else pointed out, this is the last year anyone will be allowed to take the VTNE (tech boards) without graduating fron tech school. I personally plan to take the VTNE in June. For those who live in or near a state that allows alternative pathway credentialing, it may be worth considering. I know I want to be a vet, but becoming an LVT would open other career paths if I didn't make it into vet school and this is the last opportunity to do this without going to school for an extra 2 years.

That's how I became an RVT in Maryland -the rule was you could take the VTNE if you'd been through an accredited tech program OR if you had a bachelor's degree in some sort of related science. My BS was in biology. I got my license so I could help more at a spay/neuter clinic where I was working (I needed it to legally induce anesthesia.)

For most people, I think becoming an RVT/CVT/LVT is a waste of time since the classes you take in tech school don't fulfill many/any of the requirements needed for vet school. For me, it did help me get some experience, but that was mostly more small animal experience - didn't really help at all for large animal or lab/research experience that I actually needed. :rolleyes:

We have a couple of LVT's in our class, but in each case, they used their LVT for several years, and had good reasons for pursueing the LVT at the time, rather than vet school. For example, one is a military wife who was relocating frequently and needed to complete her education quickly (via an accelerated program), and was easily and readily transferable. Another became a tech to support his family while obtaining his pre-reqs and while working as an assistant.

So, I wouldn't do it as a stepping stone into vet school, but for some people it is a more realistic option for where they are in their life. I have heard instructors complain that techs are hard to 'break' of bad habits or outdated methodologies, or have difficult understanding that their value to an employer is as a vet, not as a vet performing tech duties. I have seen some of our's be a bit impatient with lack of knowledge in SA/LA clinical skills (blood draws, catheters) in other students, and with the lack of extensive repetitive training in those skills (ie want that part to be mroe like thier vet tech progrms were) in vet school, but it doesn't seem to be a big issue.

I have to say I strongly disagree with many of the post regarding getting a LVT/CVT. :( I am currently in my final semester at a community college that offers the vet tech program. I also have a B.S that I attained before getting into the vet tech program. I have found that if you have the time and money and want to improve your GPA it is very much worth going through the extra 2 years to be certified. I have worked a number of vet's officies and gained priceless hours of experience that could not be offered through On the job training. I also worked at a vet's office prior to starting the program. I have learned so much and even though I have always known that I wanted to be a vet but this experience has been vital in my learning and confirmation for my career. There is no objection by schools or by practices against vet techs wanting to be come veterinarians. Often times the fact that a person has that extra certification allows a more eduacated discussion with their veterinarian at work. I see first hand the difference in myself and other people in my program in comparasion with simply the on job trained techs. You also have the opportunity to learn so much more and not just that but understand it! Also techs are greatly needed. Some people decided after an LVT/CVT progam they want to do this type of work verses what a veterinarian does. The analogy of the nurse to the doctor is perfect. People don't often want to be doctors yet work in the medical field so they decide to be a nurse. Technicians are vital in practices; infact in some academia technicians are teaching doctor students!! At a private referral practice I worked at, the doctors asked me questions because they felt confident enough in me that I knew my job. Being a DVM verses a CVT/LVT are different jobs. They have different levels of importances. But it puts both the DVM and the technician at a better level of being a team. I hope this helps. Just remember where you find a great doctor you normall find a great technician backing them up!:)

I have to say I strongly disagree with many of the post regarding getting a LVT/CVT. :( I am currently in my final semester at a community college that offers the vet tech program. I also have a B.S that I attained before getting into the vet tech program. I have found that if you have the time and money and want to improve your GPA it is very much worth going through the extra 2 years to be certified. I have worked a number of vet's officies and gained priceless hours of experience that could not be offered through On the job training. I also worked at a vet's office prior to starting the program. I have learned so much and even though I have always known that I wanted to be a vet but this experience has been vital in my learning and confirmation for my career. There is no objection by schools or by practices against vet techs wanting to be come veterinarians. Often times the fact that a person has that extra certification allows a more eduacated discussion with their veterinarian at work. I see first hand the difference in myself and other people in my program in comparasion with simply the on job trained techs. You also have the opportunity to learn so much more and not just that but understand it! Also techs are greatly needed. Some people decided after an LVT/CVT progam they want to do this type of work verses what a veterinarian does. The analogy of the nurse to the doctor is perfect. People don't often want to be doctors yet work in the medical field so they decide to be a nurse. Technicians are vital in practices; infact in some academia technicians are teaching doctor students!! At a private referral practice I worked at, the doctors asked me questions because they felt confident enough in me that I knew my job. Being a DVM verses a CVT/LVT are different jobs. They have different levels of importances. But it puts both the DVM and the technician at a better level of being a team. I hope this helps. Just remember where you find a great doctor you normall find a great technician backing them up!:)

I agree with you in some part, but how much of your "educated discussions with the vet" are a part of tech school or having that B.S. degree. I have not been to tech school; instead I have 4 and 1/2 years of on-the-job training plus my work through my undergrad degree and I can have way more educated discussions with the veterinarian than most CVT's I work with. So, I believe it is a matter of perspective. Also, a DVM and a technician to me have the same level of importance. You can have the best DVM in the world, but a crappy technician can pull the clinic down and vice versa. Working in a hospital is a team effort and the team is only as good as its weakest member; give them encouragement and help them along then you have a strong team. Personally, I do not find getting my certification to be of any benefit to me; other than possibly making a few extra dollars/hour. I do not want to work as a vet tech for the rest of my life. I see so many of them who have been doing the job for 5+ years and they get stuck; they end up becoming office managers at a vet clinic and can never get themselves out (some lucky few do). So unless you need that few extra dollars/hour or you want to be a vet tech for the rest of your life if you do not get into vet school; it really is not worth the extra 2-3 years of school and the extra $$ in debt. Again, I am not saying getting your CVT is bad; it is great especially if you live in a state where that is the only way you can get experience, but unless you actually want to be a vet tech or need the degree; IMO it is not really worth it if you plan on getting your DVM.

Not too long ago I decided i want to pursue becoming a veterinarian and ive been researching like crazy. I did have this one question i couldnt find much advice online tho, and this place seems like a good one to ask it. Would it be beneficiall to spend the time and money becoming a certified vet tech before starting the road to being a vet? in my area theres a 2 year community college course for it, but its kinda pricey. i understand that you need vet clinic experience etc etc so ive been on the hunt for kennel assistant type jobs with vets. Should i just stick to something like that or would it help at all to be a licenced vet tech "in the field" kinda thing before going into vet school. i ask also because it seems like lots of people here (in school) were techs before. I know you dont HAVE to go thru school to become a tech, but i figure id ask anyways. Help to a vet newb greatly appreciated!

You remind me of those high schoolers who graduate and say "oh ill just wait a year for college" and end up with a life at WAL*Mart.You'll probably develope a family, get a real taste of life, turn lazy, fat and never go to Vet School if you decide to be a vet tech. Ive scene it happen plenty of times. GO TO VET SCHOOL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!

You remind me of those high schoolers who graduate and say "oh ill just wait a year for college" and end up with a life at WAL*Mart.You'll probably develope a family, get a real taste of life, turn lazy, fat and never go to Vet School if you decide to be a vet tech. Ive scene it happen plenty of times. GO TO VET SCHOOL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!

What's with the premed people coming out of the woodwork again?
And more than that, it's coming from a pre-med person who has "scene it" many times...
I rest my case.

If you don't KNOW that you want to be a vet, why rush it? Vet tech is still a respectable job, and if it allows you to decide where your calling is, what's the big deal? The classes may not be pre-reqs for the vet school, and I think the OP is young enough to still have plenty of time to decide if vet med is the right field for them.

I was out of school for five years due to dissability and I've been back for three semesters now. I'm also at the best weight I've been in years!!

I was out of school for five years due to dissability and I've been back for three semesters now. I'm also at the best weight I've been in years!!

i'm confused, is this posted in the right thread?
edit: OOOO i get it haha, the time off. im stupid. well ya, ur not at walmart either so :p familydoc

and ya, jeez wut is with these other people coming into our forum. and his post was harsh, i cant imagine being ganged up on in the premed forum. OP-dont listen to him!! god that was a really immature comment. i took 2 yrs off school to work and it was the best thing ive done. i am more confident and have TONS more experience. im only 1 step away from vet school next yr and im not working at walmart :p what a douche bag

I have to say I strongly disagree with many of the post regarding getting a LVT/CVT. :(

I personally do NOT believe anyone was disparaging the value of LVTs...but the question was 'is it worth doing LVT before starting the road to vet school' and realisticly, I don't think, if you are certain you want to be a vet, that it is. I personally think it is worth starting off with the core sciences, and seeing how that works out Realisticly, delaying vet school will result in higher tuition (it goes up regularly) and fewer years making vet income to cover the student loans. So, while it may be beneficial in some ways, I think ultimatly it isn't the best thing for someone just starting on the path to vet med to do (ie the delay isn't worth the benefits.) Of course, that is just my opinion. I strongly believe in LVTs, and if I operater a private practice, hope to staff with LVT's or people with massive amounts of experience who are pursueing thier LVT's. And whether or not it helps you as an individual doesn't change the the issue that some adcoms do find it distasteful (whether that is a valid viewpoint or not.)

Also, if I had gone back to LVT (thought about it) it would have actually damaged my application as compared to taking upper leve sciences. And there was a level of absurdity; apparently a 1 semester 'combined sciences' course that included chemistry, biology, and biochemistry was required despite already having A's in full semesters of all three, because they couldn't 'establish that the curriculem was stringent enough' (though it was good enough for vet school.)

Of course, it depends on the individual and their goals, and I do think it is great for some people, if the point is to start the path to vet school, I don't believe LVT school is the best path. However, Ihaven't looked at every program; the ones I examined didn't have cores sciences that would cover pre-reqs.

i'm confused, is this posted in the right thread?
edit: OOOO i get it haha, the time off. im stupid. well ya, ur not at walmart either so :p familydoc

and ya, jeez wut is with these other people coming into our forum. and his post was harsh, i cant imagine being ganged up on in the premed forum. OP-dont listen to him!! god that was a really immature comment. i took 2 yrs off school to work and it was the best thing ive done. i am more confident and have TONS more experience. im only 1 step away from vet school next yr and im not working at walmart :p what a douche bag

Hahaha you are hilarious. :D :)

What's with the premed people coming out of the woodwork again?
And more than that, it's coming from a pre-med person who has "scene it" many times...
I rest my case.

If you don't KNOW that you want to be a vet, why rush it? Vet tech is still a respectable job, and if it allows you to decide where your calling is, what's the big deal? The classes may not be pre-reqs for the vet school, and I think the OP is young enough to still have plenty of time to decide if vet med is the right field for them.

Pre-Meds come out of the wood work to help OPS out with advise that they clearly are seeking diverse viewpoints on, otherwise the op would ask a local source for a single opinion. :confused:Even my kid knows the players change but the game stays the same. Notice I used an example as simple as a highschool transition to college, FACT IS people get lazy and settle with what they have. Ive seen it happen PLENTY of times. If you feel that my informative post is so importantly big that you would consider it a CASE, maybe you should take a little time out from the forums.:idea:

enough said. now I'll get back to posting:)

Hmmm...maybe this joker should go to the non-trad board and tell everyone there how lazy they obviously are.

Just to clarify: Im 19, and i had a weird time graduating hs. (didnt actually get my diploma til like a month ago) so i didnt jump straight into college right after school like pretty much all the rest of my private school peers did. Im not a COMPLETE failure at life i guess, but i spent the past half year mucking around in the worst of it.... now that i got my diploma ive decided to stop wasting my life and accomplish something. i have such a great educational opportunity in having gone to private school my whole life and i just feel like such a failure to my parents because i haven't taken advantage of it. i want my life to mean something for once. and becoming a veterinarian just FEELS like my true calling. i dont want to be a stupid murse for pets. I want to be a DOCTOR! i just was curious is becoming a certified tech UNTIL vet school was worth the time and effort, apparently not! So thanks a bunch for the input guise! i really appreciate it!

i dont want to be a stupid murse for pets. I want to be a DOCTOR!

Wow. I suggest a major attitude change before even trying to get work experience - you go into practices with the attitude that vet nurses are just "stupid nurses for pets" you're going to be eaten alive. And rightly so. Nurses and techs have a very important role to play in the veterinary team, and many, many, many new grad vets do and will rely on them for support and advice. There are techs out there who know more than the average vet - and for every great vet or practice, there is a team of awesome nurses keeping things running behind the scenes.

I know some doctors and vets have a big ego towards nurses - but you're a 19 year old (same as me, so age is no excuse) who hasn't even really begun the journey to being a vet. I suggest a quick trip back to earth.

Pre-Meds come out of the wood work to help OPS out with advise that they clearly are seeking diverse viewpoints on, otherwise the op would ask a local source for a single opinion. :confused:Even my kid knows the players change but the game stays the same. Notice I used an example as simple as a highschool transition to college, FACT IS people get lazy and settle with what they have. Ive seen it happen PLENTY of times. If you feel that my informative post is so importantly big that you would consider it a CASE, maybe you should take a little time out from the forums.:idea:

enough said. now I'll get back to posting:)

Seriously, before you give any more "advise" maybe you should get some more information (and maybe a spelling and grammar lesson as well). It is obvious you are not pre-vet and have no experience within the profession which therefore gives you no clue as to what is or is not beneficial to a pre-vet. Go back to your pre-allo forums, but from what you have posted here it seems like you will more than likely become pre-podiatry.

Seriously, before you give any more "advise" maybe you should get some more information (and maybe a spelling and grammar lesson as well). It is obvious you are not pre-vet and have no experience within the profession which therefore gives you no clue as to what is or is not beneficial to a pre-vet. Go back to your pre-allo forums, but from what you have posted here it seems like you will more than likely become pre-podiatry.

The quote above is completely off topic. The advice the op is seeking is universal. If pre-vets and pre-meds should be so "separated" then I think you better write a proposal to all the standalone med/vet schools that have their pre-vet and pre-med student taking some the same basic science classes. If you feel that my informative post is so importantly big that you would consider it a CASE, maybe you should take a little time out from the forums.:idea:

enough said, now I'll get back to posting advice as an Uninfluenced Contributor. (Un- meaning, why even bother to tell me what and where I should post, when my advice is clearly relevant) and if you feel any different please explain the problem that you have with my original post^)

Last edited:
Pre-med and pre-vet are indeed very similar in the courses they require, but the amount of experience needed to apply is very, very different. The OP was asking about a tech program (which has nothing to do with med/pre-med either) and the best advice you gave was, "You'll get fat and ugly if you don't go to vet school right after college." and, in case you didn't notice... that's pretty stupid advice, and not at all what the OP was asking about.

You can post whatever you want wherever you want, oh UNinfluenced contributor, but don't expect us to nod and agree with your stupid 'advice.'

Pre-med and pre-vet are indeed very similar in the courses they require, but the amount of experience needed to apply is very, very different. The OP was asking about a tech program (which has nothing to do with med/pre-med either) and the best advice you gave was, "You'll get fat and ugly if you don't go to vet school right after college." and, in case you didn't notice... that's pretty stupid advice, and not at all what the OP was asking about.

You can post whatever you want wherever you want, oh UNinfluenced contributor, but don't expect us to nod and agree with your stupid 'advice.'

Its amazing how you are acting as if the op asked how to administer anesthesia to a pig.
I don't expect any agreements from you or anyone else, what is this a business meeting? I simply responded to the ops request for advice that could very well apply to any scenario, that is why I used a simple example. I just don't want to see the op forget his/her dream as a vet by settling for vet tech not saying that he/she is that type of person but it happens all the time, thats called life. Evidently if the op knows that he/she wants to do vet tech first he/she would have never posted the question. If the op is not looking for diverse opinions then he/she would have asked one of the vets techs at his/her community college.
If you have a problem with opinions then the forums are not for you. If you have a problem with my posts TOUGH LUCK I will continue to post MY OPINION because that is what thread posters are looking for on the forums, DIVERSE OPINIONS:slap: