Vet tech before vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its amazing how you are acting as if the op asked how to administer anesthesia to a pig.
I don't expect any agreements from you or anyone else, what is this a business meeting? I simply responded to the ops request for advice that could very well apply to any scenario, that is why I used a simple example. I just don't want to see the op forget his/her dream as a vet by settling for vet tech not saying that he/she is that type of person but it happens all the time, thats called life. Evidently if the op knows that he/she wants to do vet tech first he/she would have never posted the question. If the op is not looking for diverse opinions then he/she would have asked one of the vets techs at his/her community college.
If you have a problem with opinions then the forums are not for you. If you have a problem with my posts TOUGH LUCK I will continue to post MY OPINION because that is what thread posters are looking for on the forums, DIVERSE OPINIONS:slap:

Stupidity + Immaturiy= :bang:

:troll:

Members don't see this ad.

The dvm who owns one of the practices I work at had something to say about the tech before dvm question. I might give him some credit for actually knowing something, seeing as he is involved in the Davis adcomm. He told me that getting certified as a tech could actually prove your commitment to the field. He himself worked as a tech from the time he was a teenager, (during which he got licensed), at the clinic that he now owns. I think he also mentioned the difference in skills between techs and dvms, that their skills don't overlap, and having both could be beneficial. But then I don't see why working as an unlicensed tech couldn't get you those same skills.

Personally, I didn't follow his advice because I knew it would be taking me off the fastest course to vet school, since I had already been out of college for 5 years, and had tons of s.a. practice experience.

p.s. He very proudly always writes LVT, DVM next to his name.

I wonder how he would have felt about getting that LVT with the additional increase in debt load if he had the current debt load the average vet now starts out with? I agree the experience/skills are valuable, but that the cost/benefit ratio is questionable!

Apparently, the pre-meds and pre-pods that can't sort themselves out on those boards feel a need to comment on something they know nothing about. I mean, really, how any pre-meds are expected to have hundreds of hours of actual hands on experience in practic in a variety of broad ranging fields, essentially doing the same work as a nurse often without pay, including, often, some of the dirtiest work around? It is a fair question, been asked many times before.

Oh, I forgot, I am one of the lazy folks who took 10 years off to pursue an amazing career before deciding I couldn't advance in my field any farther without a DVM or PhD, and that the DVM was more appropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm new to the forums, but felt compelled to respond to this thread because I'm currently an LVT.

Depending on where you work, and what your background is, pursuing and LVT can be both beneficial to your pocketbook and your perceptions of what being a vet is all about. For me, I graduated from my undergraduate classes with some less than stellar grades and a bachelor's that pretty much provided me with a piece of paper and no special means of income ;) I opted to go back and pursue my tech licensing to both increase my GPA for future vet school opportunities as well as provide me with skills and a profession I could pursue if things didn't work out the way I hoped they would.

Not only did I graduate with honors, but I also was offered several very nice jobs as I finished my schooling. Depending on where you live, a license may be required to work as a technician. This is typically regulated state by state, but having that licensing may mean the difference between working with the vets and working as a kennel assistant! Further, the schooling put a lot of what we do into perspective and gave me what I consider a very strong introduction to topics I will see in vet school - such as anesthesiology & pharmacology, radiology, laboratory techniques, etc etc. They certainly do not go as far in depth, but at least I have a stepping stone to build upon. I remember working as a tech prior to going through school and while I could go through the motions, the exact reasons why we did what we did and what something meant were sometimes lost on me. It was more of a mimicking of skills rather than an actual understanding of procedures.

For me, my LVT license has offered me one further benefit. I currently work at a veterinary school as a technician, so I have been able to get some insight as to what vet school is actually like for students. It has been very humbling (as I thought I knew quite a lot, but really? Not so much), and very educational as I have been exposed to more specialty medicine than I might have in private practice. I work with drugs that may not be used in private practice which has helped me develop a comfort level with them and their side effects, and am familiar with more specialty procedures. Through my work I've been able to put a cooler head on my shoulders and develop a processing brain instead of a panicked one - which everyone experiences in clinic when they first get there (if that makes any sense). I love doing what I do, and it really has strengthened my determination to become a doctor. And so far, the doctors who know I want to pursue vet school have all been very positive and encouraging to me as well!

This is not to say, of course, that it's prepared me completely for vet school. Just that having my LVT has opened more doors for me than it has closed. More importantly, I know that no matter where I go I will NEVER be without a job because I posess technical training and skills that can't be taken away. Is it necessary to get your tech license for vet school? No. But it can be another step along the way to your DVM if you don't get in right away. You can never have too much education :)

I guess I'm just encouraging people not to pooh pooh an LVT degree. It may not be the route for everyone, but its certainly not a bad one to follow!

Your best bet would be to land a job or volunteer gig as a vet assistant. Similiar job, smaller pay, no certification, on-site training is given by the vet or staff.

But the question is, fresh out of HS, if you knew you wanted to be a vet, would you have intentionally included vet tech with your plans to enter into vet school? My biggest argument against it would be that at least here the classes do NOT count towards any of the pre-reqs. So you would add 2 years onto whatever you need to take for pre-reqs, including additional tuition. Fresh out of HS, without the poor UG GPA, would this be the best course of action, use of time?

Remember, some four year universities offer a Bacherlor's in Veterinary Technology-allowing you to get your B.S degree in the program, and it is usually feasible to take the vet school pre-reqs at the same time and be done in 4-4.5 years (some overlap with what is required by the program anyway, so it just depends on the credit load you're willing to take). Easiest to do so if you minor in biology/zoology/chemistry/animal science along with your vet tech major.
I know several students who got this degree and immediately got into vet school following undergrad, so it didn't seem to hurt them at all that they went with a vet tech degree when their ultimate goal was to get into vet school. And they had thousands of experience hours from doing their vet experience in the school's vet tech clinic.

Yeah, I always forget that there are a few 4yr programs. The only one I know about is Purdue. What other school offer vet tech as a 4 yr? Here it is a 2 year, AA/AS, and the science courses are bizarre and don't qualify for pre-reqs (ie 'science of technology, a combination course of biology, chemistry, and bio chemistry' 1 semester.)

If the program is a 4yr and will include the necessary pre-reqs, I think it is as valid as any other major. But if it is a 2 yr that doesn't cover pre-reqs, I think it just adds time/money into a long an expensive process. Unless there is another reason (life circumstances) where it makes more sense to obtain the LVT. However, there is a reality still that some adcoms have strong opinions on LVT to DVM applicants (good or bad.)

Fresh out of HS knowing I wanted to be a vet? I was there :) And no, I didn't choose being an LVT it as a career initially (for more reasons than just I wanted to be a vet). But honestly, I'm somewhat grateful that I took the time I did. I feel like my undergrad years were such a crazy time I barely absorbed anything, much less learned how to study or apply anything. NOW I feel like I know myself better, know how to get the right information into my brain and can be a more knowledgeable, and effective doctor.

So far as coursework, outside of the basic chemistry and biology in a two year program it does NOT cover the prereqs for vet school so its not the way to go for that. I went to tech school at a community college, so the expense wasn't really an issue. It was still lower than attending university for 4 years.

I do look back and wish I could kick my own butt for some of the way things went... But ultimately I neither regret the decision nor the opportunities it has brought my way. If you're absolutely confident you will get into vet school the moment you get out of undergrad you can probably pass on by. But if you think it might take a year or two, it could be a good option in those gap years as a way to strengthen your application (by adding more vet experience) and add credibility to your commitment to vet medicine.

So if you already have vet school in mind as your absolute end goal, do a 4 year degree at a university with pre-reqs, and try to make sure you choose something that you would find useful if vet school doesn't pan out for any variety of reasons.

If you have a tech degree already for whatever reason, I don't think that it's going to hurt you in applying for vet school as long as you have the right attitude about it. I think tobysgirl does a good job with that - explaining what she's gained from it without sounding like she is a know-it-all or a shoe-in.

Fair enough?

I am in tech school right now, but before I started tech school I had almost completed my AA in English at the local junior college. I switched my degree audit to Zoology after entering tech school. After I finish tech school, I want to finish out my AA, and start down the road to being a DVM, and work as a CVT until I get there. I've done some extensive research on everything it takes to get into Vet School, but I'd really appreciate some advice here.
Is it possible to work and go to Vet School? Does being a CVT actually hurt? What kind of questions are they going to ask me? Does it hurt that I'm older? The DVM in charge of my program said it actually works to my benefit.
I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

I am in tech school right now, but before I started tech school I had almost completed my AA in English at the local junior college. I switched my degree audit to Zoology after entering tech school. After I finish tech school, I want to finish out my AA, and start down the road to being a DVM, and work as a CVT until I get there. I've done some extensive research on everything it takes to get into Vet School, but I'd really appreciate some advice here.
Is it possible to work and go to Vet School? Does being a CVT actually hurt? What kind of questions are they going to ask me? Does it hurt that I'm older? The DVM in charge of my program said it actually works to my benefit.
I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

1. Is it possible to work and go to Vet School?
Depends on how much work you are expecting to do and your school schedule. I know a few people that worked around 10ish hours or so a week for the first 3 years of vet school. Working during clinics is not possible. You won't be able to work a lot but you might be able to get a few hours here and there for the first few years. And work doesn't have to be working in a veterinary setting. You can do any number of jobs.

2. Does being a CVT hurt?
I mean it can if you get bit or scratched. ;)

As for vet school applications, I don't think it necessarily "hurts". How much it helps, I can't say. It will allow you to obtain a job as a certified tech which will get you the veterinary experience needed to apply to vet school. However, you don't need to be a CVT to obtain this veterinary experience. I was not a CVT, worked as an uncertified tech (allowed in the state I was in) and obtained my experience that way. Others simply shadow vets to gain veterinary experience.

3. What kind of questions will they ask me?
As in for an interview for vet school? These questions vary depending on the school. Not really something you need to worry about at this point, but they aren't going to be asking you any technical questions or medical questions (usually). If you place on your application a specific scenario involving something medical then they might ask more about that situation, but they aren't going to ask you what to do if a dog is in metabolic acidosis or anything like that.

4. Does it hurt that I am older?
Well, getting older can result in joints getting cranky and body parts slowly protesting, but I don't think this is what you are asking about. ;)

Being an older applicant doesn't hurt you. Also, how much "older" are you talking? We get quite a few people on here that go... "I am 25 and older, is that bad?" Mid-late twenties is not "older" for vet school applications. When I see "older" I tend to think mid-thirties or above. And no, it doesn't "hurt" you.

5. DVM saying it works to your benefit....
I will disagree with this person's position. While being a CVT will give you exposure to the field of vet med and experience, the only thing it really does is cost you more $$$ in the long term and makes it take longer to get to vet school. Alternatively, you could just shadow a number of vets to gain experience, finish obtaining your pre-reqs and then apply to vet school. Classes taken at a vet tech school do not apply to vet school. So you are basically doing an extra two years of education by obtaining your CVT that are not necessary and won't contribute to your pre-reqs for vet school. You don't need the CVT to gain veterinary experience needed to apply for vet school.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Is it possible to work and go to Vet School?
Depends on how much work you are expecting to do and your school schedule. I know a few people that worked around 10ish hours or so a week for the first 3 years of vet school. Working during clinics is not possible. You won't be able to work a lot but you might be able to get a few hours here and there for the first few years. And work doesn't have to be working in a veterinary setting. You can do any number of jobs.

2. Does being a CVT hurt?
I mean it can if you get bit or scratched. ;)

As for vet school applications, I don't think it necessarily "hurts". How much it helps, I can't say. It will allow you to obtain a job as a certified tech which will get you the veterinary experience needed to apply to vet school. However, you don't need to be a CVT to obtain this veterinary experience. I was not a CVT, worked as an uncertified tech (allowed in the state I was in) and obtained my experience that way. Others simply shadow vets to gain veterinary experience.

3. What kind of questions will they ask me?
As in for an interview for vet school? These questions vary depending on the school. Not really something you need to worry about at this point, but they aren't going to be asking you any technical questions or medical questions (usually). If you place on your application a specific scenario involving something medical then they might ask more about that situation, but they aren't going to ask you what to do if a dog is in metabolic acidosis or anything like that.

4. Does it hurt that I am older?
Well, getting older can result in joints getting cranky and body parts slowly protesting, but I don't think this is what you are asking about. ;)

Being an older applicant doesn't hurt you. Also, how much "older" are you talking? We get quite a few people on here that go... "I am 25 and older, is that bad?" Mid-late twenties is not "older" for vet school applications. When I see "older" I tend to think mid-thirties or above. And no, it doesn't "hurt" you.

5. DVM saying it works to your benefit....
I will disagree with this person's position. While being a CVT will give you exposure to the field of vet med and experience, the only thing it really does is cost you more $$$ in the long term and makes it take longer to get to vet school. Alternatively, you could just shadow a number of vets to gain experience, finish obtaining your pre-reqs and then apply to vet school. Classes taken at a vet tech school do not apply to vet school. So you are basically doing an extra two years of education by obtaining your CVT that are not necessary and won't contribute to your pre-reqs for vet school. You don't need the CVT to gain veterinary experience needed to apply for vet school.
Thank you so much!! I'm 28 right now. I'll be almost 30 by the time I finish tech school. I'd still have to finish my AA, which might take a year, (since changing my major tacked on a crap ton of science classes, but my BA would finish quickly because I'd transfer over to UF with a lot of credits. I'd probably be 32-33 by the time I got around to applying. Crazy, I know. But I just fell in love with this. *shrug* It's University of Florida, by the way.

Last edited: