Veteran/Military friendly medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

combatmedic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What MD/DO schools have a high veteran acceptance rate? OR shall i say veteran loving schools?

Will appreciate your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on a tour of a med school and some of the people there mentioned the school's preference for veterans since its hospital is a VA (ETSU). I don't know if this holds true for other schools with VA affiliations, but it's definitely worth looking into.

Maybe USUHS. I think a background of military service is positive for most schools, but I haven't found any school that specifically publishes a preference for veterans.

I was on a tour of a med school and some of the people there mentioned the school's preference for veterans since its hospital is a VA (ETSU). I don't know if this holds true for other schools with VA affiliations, but it's definitely worth looking into.

Will definitely check it out. thanks.

Maybe USUHS. I think a background of military service is positive for most schools, but I haven't found any school that specifically publishes a preference for veterans.

MASSTRAN i'm completing 8 years of military service this december and I think I had enough. So I prefer taking the normal civilian route of med school than a USUHS way.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, I see. Well, know that military service is good, provided you don't have any documented history of punitive charges. I wish you luck, I have tremendous respect for those who serve.

Ah, I see. Well, know that military service is good, provided you don't have any documented history of punitive charges. I wish you luck, I have tremendous respect for those who serve.

yes I did my share of service and thats it. As far as record is concerned I'm clean. I was an Airborne Combat medic, served 4 years active duty(2 in afghan and 2 homeland security).

By veteran friendly, are you asking if your status as a veteran will compensate for a low GPA/MCAT? Otherwise, your veteran status will give you nothing but an advantage over other pre-med students.

I don't think you'll get anything more specific than "that's a good EC," because the numbers aren't broken down by veteran/non-veteran. Military service isn't going to carry your app if you don't have the academic credentials.

I'm not worried about GPA...I've been busting my ass to maintain my gpa above 3.5. My concern is will medical schools transfer all my medical training credits?

Members don't see this ad :)
By veteran friendly, are you asking if your status as a veteran will compensate for a low GPA/MCAT? Otherwise, your veteran status will give you nothing but an advantage over other pre-med students.

its preety presumptious of you to think that just because I have a military background I automatically have a low GPA and an MCAT score.:thumbdown:

My concern is will medical schools transfer all my medical training credits?

Uh, no? If you're expecting them to give you credit for them, I think you need to remember that military training (speaking as a veteran) are basically community college level. I don't think there's a medical school out there which will exempt you from anything just because you were an "airborne combat medic". You should be more concerned with your undergrad transferring them, since this is where they might get you out of having to take some classes.

its preety presumptious of you to think that just because I have a military background I automatically have a low GPA and an MCAT score.

Back it up boy......he didn't say that at all. No need to be a dick.

• Dislike
its preety presumptious of you to think that just because I have a military background I automatically have a low GPA and an MCAT score.:thumbdown:

It didn't seem like any presumptions were being made, it was just clarification of your motive for asking the question.

I think the best way to look at a military background is as an excellent EC that will make you stand out from other applicants who are in your GPA/MCAT range. At least that is how I am looking at mine.

It didn't seem like any presumptions were being made, it was just clarification of your motive for asking the question.

I think the best way to look at a military background is as an excellent EC that will make you stand out from other applicants who are in your GPA/MCAT range. At least that is how I am looking at mine.
Well said. :thumbup:

Thanks guys. I just got a PM from a Veteran medical student and he told me his Military training credits were infact transferred by his medical school.

Appreciate your reply.

I know that some flight docs have turned the AMP training into an elective, so I would assume that some other military medical training would transfer also.

Maybe GW?

GW has a history of being involved with military medicine, and is affiliated with Bethesda Naval and Walter Reed.

I know that some flight docs have turned the AMP training into an elective, so I would assume that some other military medical training would transfer also.
Yeah, but those are docs, not a 91W. It's about as likely to transfer as EMT or paramedic training.

There are a few of them. If you scan through selection criteria in the MSAR you will find them.

I don't have it handy so I can't tell you all of them. I think East Tenn. State was one of them (although extremely hard to get into if you are out of state). Also, several schools had close ties to the VA hospitals, so I would imagine that those would be good choices.

Obviously USUHS...a no-brainer. But if you have had enough, that may not be the best choice for you. About 50% of their incoming classes are former/current service men and women.

Having a military background, especially if you have deployed should be a great EC for you provided you still can sell yourself as open-minded, humble and all in all - teachable.

Make sure to hit on your deployment experiences, the opportunity to work with an extremely diverse group of people in the military, and the demands, both physical and mental that your military career has placed on you. All of those things make you unique and can add to the “diversity” of the programs you are applying to.

I am applying for the first time this year, so take my advice for whatever it is worth. :laugh:

I just got a PM from a Veteran medical student and he told me his Military training credits were infact transferred by his medical school.

I'd like to know how and what it counted for. If it was just included on his undergrad transcripts, that's not "transferring". Unless it actually got him out of a class, then I don't think we are operating off the same definition here.

will check it out.
Thnx

Stewart is an unaccredited medical school that opened on a native American reserve. Don't waste your time looking it up.

And I certainly wasn't assuming you had a low GPA/MCAT. The way you phrased your question ("military friendly") made me think that you had some misconception that there were schools that were unfriendly towards military folk.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of credit will you be getting for your military background? I had no idea that medical school took credit for anything.

There are a few of them. If you scan through selection criteria in the MSAR you will find them.

I don't have it handy so I can't tell you all of them. I think East Tenn. State was one of them (although extremely hard to get into if you are out of state). Also, several schools had close ties to the VA hospitals, so I would imagine that those would be good choices.

Obviously USUHS...a no-brainer. But if you have had enough, that may not be the best choice for you. About 50% of their incoming classes are former/current service men and women.

Having a military background, especially if you have deployed should be a great EC for you provided you still can sell yourself as open-minded, humble and all in all - teachable.

Make sure to hit on your deployment experiences, the opportunity to work with an extremely diverse group of people in the military, and the demands, both physical and mental that your military career has placed on you. All of those things make you unique and can add to the “diversity” of the programs you are applying to.

I am applying for the first time this year, so take my advice for whatever it is worth. :laugh:

East Tenn. State was the only one I could find that specifically mentioned preference for veterans. So I was wrong about the "few" part of my initial post.

But I would add that schools in military friendly states (NC, TX, FL) may not be a bad bet and many schools mention leadership as being important. Once again, leadership in the military is a fine demonstration of responsibility and maturity, etc etc.

Bumping this old thread! Any veteran medical students out there or vets who will be starting this year?

Bumping this old thread! Any veteran medical students out there or vets who will be starting this year?

I am working on narrowing down my school choices at the moment. I am a veteran with 8 years in service and a deployment to Iraq where I served as a nurse. My GPA is great 3.94 and my MCAT is a. Hoping I can get a spot. East Tenn is also the only school I see that specifically mentions vets, however I also noticed they only took 8 people from out of state last year.

Last edited:
AF vet here. 4 years as a 4N0X1. I hope to be applying this next upcoming cycle but it depends on how well I do on my MCAT this spring. Fingers crossed!! :xf:

I'm a vet and I'll be starting at Cincinnati in August. Out of the 12 schools I applied to, this was the only interview invite I received. I also applied Out-Of-State, but will be In-State for tuition purposes right away due to the Ohio GI Promise.

I can't say if my being a veteran helped me here or hurt me elsewhere, but I had a 3.75 GPA, 34 MCAT, and nothing but rejections everywhere else.

Hey, former USAF medic here as well
From my experience the following is a general list of historically military friendly schools:
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
USF (for OOS- SELECT program)
UCF
Wisconsin
Colorado
VCU
EVMS
ETSU
Pitt
USUHS
Tulane
(Almost all DO)

These schools usually have an above average number of vets in each class compared to other med schools. In addition, their adcoms favor non-traditional applicats with strong leadership and service experiences (as well as strong clincal/volunteering).

Research the schools and find some that are a good "fit" and within your range. Remember, you still need a competitive GPA/MCAT wherever you apply (above the school's 10th percentile from the MSAR).

Good luck and keep us updated!
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Last edited:
Any vets out there getting interviews or knocking out secondaries?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkdQN8Pp7_w[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a vet. I applied to a total of 25 schools. Both DO and MD. So far I have got 9 interview invites. I will be completing my 3rd interview tomorrow. Rejected from Indiana and Tennessee. Interviews at SIU, Des Moines, Midwestern, Mayo, Rosalind, Kansas City, Kirksville and MCW remaining. In the military I served as a 68WM6 a combat medic with the nursing identifier. 1 deployment with a combat support hospital.

Oh btw, completed 22 secondaries.

One More secondary left. Applied to 25 md schools, a few II so far, 3 rejections. 3 withdrawals. Army non-medical related MOS(25P).

Last edited:
I'm a vet. I applied to a total of 25 schools. Both DO and MD. So far I have got 9 interview invites. I will be completing my 3rd interview tomorrow. Rejected from Indiana and Tennessee. Interviews at SIU, Des Moines, Midwestern, Mayo, Rosalind, Kansas City, Kirksville and MCW remaining.Oh btw, completed 22 secondaries.

One More secondary left. Applied to 25 md schools, a few II so far, 3 rejections. 3 withdrawals. Army non-medical related MOS(25P).

Great job guys:thumbup:, If you get a chance, please swing by this thread and post an acceptance success story and any other advice for prior service pre-meds.

Last edited:
Guys have me worried here. Big time.
Former 18A,

31 MCAT (just took it again, but I fear I did worse...), and a 3.7ish GPA.

From the sounds of things here I will be lucky to get any interviews.

VCOM has an admissions scholarship...they waive the secondary fee, give you a 100 dollar gift card and hotel stay if you interview. They also reduce deposit from 1500 to 100. They also have a preference for vets. PCOM does the yellow ribbon program as well as USC. Dunno of others.

Guys have me worried here. Big time.
Former 18A,

31 MCAT (just took it again, but I fear I did worse...), and a 3.7ish GPA.

From the sounds of things here I will be lucky to get any interviews.
If you can't turn an 18A with reasonable stats into a few admission offers I'm scared as a civilian applying!

On a side note, thanks for your service guys!!! Best of luck in this horrid process...

Reactions: 1 users