Veteran & Spouse Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDAlchemist

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I kind of have a two-part post. But first, I'm a 24 yo Army vet (3.5 years of service), a wife and two kids. I've been out for w little over a year now, going into my sophomore year this fall (31 credits).
Before the Army I did one semester of college, I only took two courses at a local community college and I earned a "D" and "F" in the two courses. So, currently going in my sophomore year I have a GPA of 2.9. Im not too concerned about myself, after reading through similar threads on SDN. From what I read it would be advantageous for me to take as many (out of degree) courses as I can in order to raise my GPA. My question is, would this be the best route to improving my GPA in the next two years (while obviously making As) and wouldn't it name since to take any courses outside of my degree to scrupulously raise my cum GPA??

Second Part:
My wife has about 16 credits right now, but she had dropped out of college years ago but didn't withdraw and received F's in 4 (maybe even 5) classes. She's now starting back and wanting to work her way to medical school.
I don't even know where to start with her. So, can she make it there? If so, how? To assist, we currently live in Alabama: UAB Medical school acceptance this past year was 3.79 GPA w/ 508 MCAT.
University of South Alabama was 3.8 w/ 507.

Members don't see this ad.

While the numbers are undoubtedly important, equally important (or maybe even more so for non-traditional students) is the story behind your numbers. If you and your wife are able to do very well with your future classes and MCATs, it will show reinvention and increasing maturity. I'm sure there are many schools that would welcome you then. I don't know Alabama's medical schools so do not know how they specifically view non-traditional students with poor initial grades, but there are other schools that are very open to reinvention. I also don't know your GPA breakdown but your priority should probably be to rock your pre-reqs, ensure a strong science GPA, and then look at also improving your cum GPA with other classes if you have space in your schedule (in that order).

That being said (and I'm sure you and your wife have discussed it), I just want to emphasize that you will need a very strong support structure for both of you to attend med school at the same time with two kids. It can be hard enough with one med student with a supporting spouse. Especially during rotations, both of you can be away from home for the better part of the day for weeks.

Finally, I would encourage you both to look into the Pat Tillman Scholarship. It's a scholarship for veterans and their spouses so both of you would be eligible. It would provide some additional financial support, as well as an amazing network of people.

Reactions: 1 user
While the numbers are undoubtedly important, equally important (or maybe even more so for non-traditional students) is the story behind your numbers. If you and your wife are able to do very well with your future classes and MCATs, it will show reinvention and increasing maturity. I'm sure there are many schools that would welcome you then. I don't know Alabama's medical schools so do not know how they specifically view non-traditional students with poor initial grades, but there are other schools that are very open to reinvention. I also don't know your GPA breakdown but your priority should probably be to rock your pre-reqs, ensure a strong science GPA, and then look at also improving your cum GPA with other classes if you have space in your schedule (in that order).

That being said (and I'm sure you and your wife have discussed it), I just want to emphasize that you will need a very strong support structure for both of you to attend med school at the same time with two kids. It can be hard enough with one med student with a supporting spouse. Especially during rotations, both of you can be away from home for the better part of the day for weeks.

Finally, I would encourage you both to look into the Pat Tillman Scholarship. It's a scholarship for veterans and their spouses so both of you would be eligible. It would provide some additional financial support, as well as an amazing network of people.
After briefly looking, we will be applying this next cycle for the Pat Tillman scholarship.

Do you think it would behoove her to attempt a dual-degree, so she would have more credit opportunities to raise her GPA. Her GPA is 1.64 with 18 credit hours, I found with 100 credit hour of As, she will bring it to 3.6. So having a dual degree with more than that allows her to have more leeway, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome.

Do you mean double major or tacking on a Master's? (I believe undergraduate dual-degrees aren't too common in the US, though I guess they exist) Either way, I'd recommend that your wife focuses on the 25-meter target and look at rocking the classes right in front of her. I would have LOVED a 3.6 when I was applying. If she finishes her bachelors (or at least getting close to the end) and she still needs to boost her GPA, then she can look at options such as a Master's, post-bacc, or non-degree program to take more classes to up her numbers.

Awesome.

Do you mean double major or tacking on a Master's? (I believe undergraduate dual-degrees aren't too common in the US, though I guess they exist) Either way, I'd recommend that your wife focuses on the 25-meter target and look at rocking the classes right in front of her. I would have LOVED a 3.6 when I was applying. If she finishes her bachelors (or at least getting close to the end) and she still needs to boost her GPA, then she can look at options such as a Master's, post-bacc, or non-degree program to take more classes to up her numbers.

Thanks man. We went over it some more today and she is optimistic about still having a shot at being admitted, in the long haul.