Veteran with poor EC's looking for input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul19

Reaction score
I already posted in WAMC and received some great feedback regarding my school list and was advised to follow up here. For a short rundown I have 5 years of active duty time, 2 years in the reserves, 3.65/3.75 cGPA/sGPA (very strong upward trend from my pre-military service academics), 511 MCAT, 1,000 hours clinical experience, no research. The extent of my volunteering as of now consists of around 50 hours of hospice volunteering. I suppose I might have 80-90 at most by the time applications can be submitted. I'd like to know what some of you other veterans and nontrads who were accepted looked like as regards EC's? I honestly am a bit nervous about the lack of volunteering I have on top of having no research. What would be best to really focus in on EC-wise prior to applying this coming cycle? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Being a vet is your main EC (at least when it comes to the community service side of things in the minds of many adcoms). That is, the idea of selfless service is more strongly conveyed in your service to country than if you were a non-vet who put in 100 hrs at the food bank and went home to your own comfy bed every night. Your clinical hrs are a bit light but if you can get close to the 100 hr mark (even if they are "projected" hrs), you will be fine I think. Every interviewer I had during the cycle that was also a vet (there were several) ended in an acceptance, so take that as n=1, but it really is it's own great EC.

Reactions: 1 user
To add: I had decent success this cycle (MD route) with a comparable app. Five years active duty. Almost identical stats (your GPA is a bit higher than mine). No research. I had slightly more volunteering, but you have WAY more clinical than I had, like 10 times as much (all my clinical was volunteering, though). Even with my relatively low volunteering hours, I went very very heavy on service in my PS and secondary essays, leaning a lot on my military service.

Bottom line: my two cents is it won't hold you back. You've shown your dedication to service to others through your military experience. You might not see it that way, but that's how adcoms* seem to view it.

*General rule of thumb--obviously doesn't apply to everyone at every school. So cast a wide net!

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a vet is your main EC (at least when it comes to the community service side of things in the minds of many adcoms). That is, the idea of selfless service is more strongly conveyed in your service to country than if you were a non-vet who put in 100 hrs at the food bank and went home to your own comfy bed every night. Your clinical hrs are a bit light but if you can get close to the 100 hr mark (even if they are "projected" hrs), you will be fine I think. Every interviewer I had during the cycle that was also a vet (there were several) ended in an acceptance, so take that as n=1, but it really is it's own great EC.
i believe the applicants clinical hours are 1000 hours. Am i missing something?

I already posted in WAMC and received some great feedback regarding my school list and was advised to follow up here. For a short rundown I have 5 years of active duty time, 2 years in the reserves, 3.65/3.75 cGPA/sGPA (very strong upward trend from my pre-military service academics), 511 MCAT, 1,000 hours clinical experience, no research. The extent of my volunteering as of now consists of around 50 hours of hospice volunteering. I suppose I might have 80-90 at most by the time applications can be submitted. I'd like to know what some of you other veterans and nontrads who were accepted looked like as regards EC's? I honestly am a bit nervous about the lack of volunteering I have on top of having no research. What would be best to really focus in on EC-wise prior to applying this coming cycle? Thank you.
so i have your stats, - 511, 3.65 both (your science is higher). I have 2000 clinical, 500 research, 37 hours volunteering (yes, only 37). I had no other volunteering or shadowing. Veteran. Basically the way they look at it - your service is your volunteering, in the sense that it shows your committment to service.
1000 clinical hours that you have look awesome. Trying to get your volunteering hours up will never heard, but this is not what i would focus on. Is there any way you could get some research hours?

also, what is your state of residence?

so i have your stats, - 511, 3.65 both (your science is higher). I have 2000 clinical, 500 research, 37 hours volunteering (yes, only 37). I had no other volunteering or shadowing. Veteran. Basically the way they look at it - your service is your volunteering, in the sense that it shows your committment to service.
1000 clinical hours that you have look awesome. Trying to get your volunteering hours up will never heard, but this is not what i would focus on. Is there any way you could get some research hours?

also, what is your state of residence?

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am a LA resident, so quite fortunate in that regard. I don’t really see a way I could get any research between now (almost end of semester) and June. I did technically take a “CURE”- course based undergraduate research- biology lab which was rather different than the usual lab, and cumulated with a poster design though no presentation. I’m not sure if including that as research experience would be ridiculous or not though. In any case it’s good to see so many vets with similar stats to mine getting acceptances.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am a LA resident, so quite fortunate in that regard. I don’t really see a way I could get any research between now (almost end of semester) and June. I did technically take a “CURE”- course based undergraduate research- biology lab which was rather different than the usual lab, and cumulated with a poster design though no presentation. I’m not sure if including that as research experience would be ridiculous or not though. In any case it’s good to see so many vets with similar stats to mine getting acceptances.
I think you should be ok either way . The key will be to Taylor good school list . Have compiled it yet ?

Don't sweat the research. Like I said, I had no research and I was fine. The only way the lack of research would hurt you is if 1) you wrote in your essays something about how much you love research and want to base your career on it, or 2) you apply to exclusively research-oriented programs. Your app should fit with who you are, your values, your goals, etc. If you have no interest in research, why waste your time, you know?

And yeah, as an LA resident, you're in great shape.

I think you should be ok either way . The key will be to Taylor good school list . Have compiled it yet ?

What I have so far:

LSU Shreveport
LSU NOLA
Tulane
TCU and UNTHSC
Creighton
Uniformed Services
Georgetown
George Washington
NOVA
Saint Louis
Eastern Virginia
East Tennessee
Drexel
University of Alabama
Baylor (just for kicks)

And 5-6 DO schools in the South East.

What I have so far:

LSU Shreveport
LSU NOLA
Tulane
TCU and UNTHSC
Creighton
Uniformed Services
Georgetown
George Washington
NOVA
Saint Louis
Eastern Virginia
East Tennessee
Drexel
University of Alabama
Baylor (just for kicks)

And 5-6 DO schools in the South East.
You know , you should post on WAMC, asking for help correcting your school list . I don’t know much about saint louis or Alabama , but I like that you have ETSU and EVMS there . I would maybe add VCU - see how many OOS students they accept . Also - are you considering Vermont ?

i believe the applicants clinical hours are 1000 hours. Am i missing something?

Yeah, u are right, I saw him say hospice and assumed he was talking about clinical (since hospice is considered clinical), so yeah, no worries on the clinical hrs, OP is in a good spot. Community service is not high on the list for those with veteran status. As a matter of fact, I know of a vet who matriculated to a top school with essentially a full ride and zero hrs of community service.

You’re solid dude. You don’t need research unless you’re trying for Stanford. Spin your active time as your volunteering. It still counts even though you got paid, since you volunteered to serve this country in a dangerous job that only a few people volunteer for.

Given good LORs, decent personal statement, and you not absolutely bombing your interview, you are Gold! Like others have said, just have a good school list!

hey man, fellow vet with similar stats. I grew up in LA and plan on applying there. Maybe I will see you on the trail!

I can only echo what others have stated as far as reassurance goes. I agree with other posts in that your hours of service might as well be a wash when you have 5 years of military service of the which I'm sure you have what others could view as "Service Recognition" (ie Good Conduct / Achievement Medals and the such).

In my time of service, I've helped some of my soldiers build up packets when exiting out as part of their "checklist". Many with GPA areas right at your markers with very similar MCAT scores (most around the 510 - 515 markers). Point is, your in line with many others that have been in your position. I cant speak on your personality or communication skills, but I can attest that your honorable service is indeed an eye catcher for many programs as a top EC activity with plenty of leadership experience to go along with it. I wont speak of research (either you can or cant at this point). Just apply broadly and check off what you can at this point. Keep us updated.

Your ECs aren't poor, they're golden. Military service counts for a lot and more than covers any nonclinical-volunteering holes you think you have. Chances solid for MD schools, even without the research.