Veterans eligible for in state applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KilgoreSnout

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m starting a post bacc and as I look ahead to applying to medical schools, I see that many public universities’ medical schools are almost entirely for in state residents.

How do most schools set their parameters for in-state? I’m sure other veterans have gone through something similar to me, having lived in many states and being eligible for drivers license/documents in several. My homes of record have been in Virginia, California, and North Carolina and I’m not sure where or how I should hedge my bets across all 3.

Members don't see this ad.

A generalizable trend is that most public universities will give veterans who left active-duty service within a 3 years' timeframe a "reduced tuition" rate which typically reflects the instate tuition rate (and thus may reflect as an incoming in-state resident).

Many others will automatically get the instate tuition rate if the individual is a current reserve/national guard member or a medically retired veteran. However, getting in-state tuition rate is 'different' than being considered an in-state resident in "newer schools" (and sometimes established programs).

This will be university dependent, but my cohort that left the service to pursue these avenues had no problem getting the in-state resident application status if they either left the service within 3 years or justified a time in service of which they were stationed in said state.

A generalizable trend is that most public universities will give veterans who left active-duty service within a 3 years' timeframe a "reduced tuition" rate which typically reflects the instate tuition rate (and thus may reflect as an incoming in-state resident).

Many others will automatically get the instate tuition rate if the individual is a current reserve/national guard member or a medically retired veteran. However, getting in-state tuition rate is 'different' than being considered an in-state resident in "newer schools" (and sometimes established programs).

This will be university dependent, but my cohort that left the service to pursue these avenues had no problem getting the in-state resident application status if they either left the service within 3 years or justified a time in service of which they were stationed in said state.

That’s really good to hear. I wasn’t even thinking of the financial piece yet, but it sounds like there is a positive trend of being accommodating.

It sounds like having been previously stationed in places like NC and CA can be a huge help to me for these schools that essentially only admit in state residents?

Having been previously stationed within a short window carries its own weight (in a good way). However, the best direct answer might be to see if the programs you are highly interested in have a military/VA liaison on site. They'd be able to answer (if not guide you) about your in-state residency status.

If the programs are established enough, they may even have a FAQs section pertaining to armed forces members past and present and how they deal with in-state resident placement (this was the case for many veterans I know and helped in their decision on which program to apply to).