Veterans! Insight please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could some of you PM me? My 16 year son is making noise about joining the military, and has a number of questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could some of you PM me? My 16 year son is making noise about joining the military, and has a number of questions.

I’m a Iraq war vet. PM if you want advice.

Reactions: 1 user
any branch specific or just wants to join the military. 12 year active duty air force here. PM me if you have any questions

Personally, I hope my kids don't want to join and will likely actively discourage it. After 4 generations of watching the system chew up and spit out members of my family, I don't have much love for the system, though I do have great respect for the soldiers, sailors, and airmen unfortunate enough to be caught up in it.

I would recommend the Air Force. Pick a job that has transferable skills to the civilian world. Shorter term contract if possible will give flexibility to stay in or get out later on. I think 3 years gets you 100% of the new GI Bill, so if it’s not a great fit, college is paid for.

As a combat vet, army, I always say Air Force. And if I can swing it, I really, really, really... I mean really... recommend a look at the coast guard. Or college. College is nice.

That said I don't think I'd be where I am today without the military, so, if he decides to do it, push him to crush it, in whatever branch.

That said I don't think I'd be where I am today without the military, so, if he decides to do it, push him to crush it, in whatever branch.

I feel the same, though I wish I could have gotten the experience without the physical toll on my tired bones :D

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I feel the same, though I wish I could have gotten the experience without the physical toll on my tired bones :D

College paid for with health insurance for life plus a tax exempt monthly compensation doesn't add up to my lower back pain and spured bilateral ankles (exasperated at that) and the idiotic adjustments of my health behavior medications I constantly take. Partly my fault though for trying to be "All-I-Can-Be" for those promotions and desired PCS moves....

Looking back I would have stayed away from repelling from Blackhawks or infantry side of the house and solely do a transferable job with a certificate given. Unless someone knows 100% what job specialty they want (guaranteed only with the army if you qualify before swearing in), I'd recommend getting one that allows top secret gov clearance or a certificate you don't have to pay for (preferably in the AC or with the supply gear).

Reactions: 1 users
Yo Goro, long time no speak. I am always available to help you out. PM me.

Applying to one of the service academies may be a good option. Good education, no debt, and guaranteed job afterwards. The commitment is longer (five years) but cadets may leave any time during the first two years without owing time or money if the military life isn’t for them.