Historically, it was always said that 1 year of internship is equivalent to 3-5 years of general practice. After completing my internship, I can say that it is likely half to three quarters true. I would say that you become faster at seeing cases and know how to manage more things which is entirely dependent on the program you went through. Not all internships are created equal. For example for mine, I had 4 weeks of primary care which was essentially shadowing with doing the clinician notes on patients I did not even touch. That definitely does not make me more experienced in primary care, so I think that statistic (3-5 years) is a tad flawed. The case load I had was one of the highest in the country, so I did see a lot more in ER or specialty services. When people say that you're worth more post-internship, I suppose that could be true as to what field you want to go into, right? Going straight into ER post-grad will be daunting and you may not have the best experience vs. someone coming out of internship who has seen a lot and knows how to manage cases. To me, that makes a post-internship DVM more valuable. It is all in the name of experience in the end but do not feel like you have to do an internship. I learned what working in a toxic environment is like through mine, but the experience I have received makes it all worth it (for the most part).