Veterinary Externship Cancellations Due to COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fayev

WesternU c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am a soon-to-be 4th year veterinary student and scheduled to start doing externships in June 2020. It seems like everything is up in the air depending on when stay-at-home orders will cease.

Has anyone been contacted or heard about any universities or big name hospital externship sites canceling planned externships in June and/or July? I just want to have a plan in place in case I'm left with nothing scheduled.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried contacting the universities or hospitals where you plan on externing over the summer? They would probably be able to help you more than anyone. Your school might also be able to offer some advice if it might influence your graduation date.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard of several SDNers who had rotations cancelled. Zoos, equine practices, small animal specialty hospitals, and visiting vet students at vet schools. Several have posted in the pre-vet COVID and impact on school thread...you might get more response over there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! I am a soon-to-be 4th year veterinary student and scheduled to start doing externships in June 2020. It seems like everything is up in the air depending on when stay-at-home orders will cease.

Has anyone been contacted or heard about any universities or big name hospital externship sites canceling planned externships in June and/or July? I just want to have a plan in place in case I'm left with nothing scheduled.

Thanks in advance!

8 weeks of my off campus externships (march to june) were cancelled by a well known equine facility in CO and a zoo in TX. My university has moved "new" 4th years to off blocks and a waived block till May, and we may end up doing online clinics for summer. We have been told we may lose electives (on and off campus) and more off blocks. So I would imagine off campus externs will either be cancelled or be added to online rotations.

You'll definitely need to contact the hosting schools, honestly. A lot of new 4th years at a lot of schools dont even know what their schools are doing for their own students yet, let alone what they're doing for visiting students.

Reactions: 1 user
Like others have already mentioned, vet schools are taking it week by week whether or not they'll even be open next month. As far as Cornell is concerned, all visiting externs have had their externships cancelled and they are not offering credit for their own students who have externships outside of the teaching hospital. All credits are earned through online courses. This is truly a once in a lifetime event. Unfortunately this is just something we have to get through and roll along with. My graduation is probably cancelled lol

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user