Veterinary Medicine and Emotional Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor-S

Clinical & Research PhD-MD who is feline fine!
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Credit to Christopher Byers, DVM see cited article below]

What causes veterinarians such psychological pain?

1. Perfectionistic Personalities.

We’re passionate. We don’t leave our job at the hospital; the job comes home with us. Importantly, we’re not used to failing. So, when we feel like we’ve done just that - for example, when a disease wins - we’re crushed. We’re truly devastated, and are left quite emotionally vulnerable.

2. Compassion Fatigue.

Veterinarians, just like other healthcare professionals, experience compassion fatigue. This condition is defined as “the emotional burden that health care providers may experience because of overexposure to traumatic events that patients are experiencing.” We have a keen awareness of our tremendous responsibility for the life and death of our patients.

3. Financial Debt.

Frustratingly, there’s a prevailing belief veterinary fees are expensive and veterinarians must be very well-paid. So, let me take a minute to address these “alternative facts.” In 2016, according to data from the American Veterinary Medical Association, the average debt for veterinary school graduates was $167,534.89, and more than 20% had debt of more than $200,000.

4. Bullying by Pet Owners.

Veterinary medicine was once a revered profession. Yet, as society has become increasingly cynical and its members have grown exceedingly entitled, there has been a concurrent and marked dropped in the respectability of my chosen career.

Veterinarians are incessantly accused of only being in it for the money. Being blamed by owners for forcing them to kill their pet because they can’t afford veterinary care is perhaps one of the meanest and harshest things I’ve ever heard. This is a wicked form of emotional bribery, and is entirely unacceptable.

In the age of social media where pet parents can post anything they want if they don’t get their way, veterinarians are emotionally exhausted because we can’t reasonably fight back. Just know one’s 1-star review on Google or Yelp chastising a veterinarian for not providing free care because you couldn’t afford it bruises our soul and contributes to psychological pain.

[Citation: Are You Killing Your Veterinarian]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Meh, I think perfectionist attitudes only come into play a little bit. I think it is more the debt, client demands, rude people, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
In regards to #1, I think that if vet schools found ways to be more holistic in their selections, the profession would be far better off.
Perhaps, so long as they keep an open mind towards more proven methods.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hence my confusion. Lol.