Video games in interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sadpremed121

Reaction score
Just wondering if it’s ok to say that I like playing video games in my free time (among other things like work out, eat, and watch movies). Like pubg, league, csgo. That kind of stuff. I feel like a lot of people play video games but there’s this sort of stigma against it. Sigh...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just mention it if they ask for your hobbies; don’t stress and sound like a robot coming up with answers you think they wanna hear.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who still plays video games, I wouldn't have any problem with it and would ask you what you're playing currently. For older folks, though, it would probably not be viewed positively. That doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't mention it - just that it may not be viewed as a positive. If there are other things you can discuss, I would do that instead.

Reactions: 1 users
I hear that some people who were pro players actually used It as talking points during their interviews.

Just wondering if it’s ok to say that I like playing video games in my free time (among other things like work out, eat, and watch movies). Like pubg, league, csgo. That kind of stuff. I feel like a lot of people play video games but there’s this sort of stigma against it. Sigh...
It's fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Depends on who you mention it to. If its younger staff members I'm sure they game. When I was a med student/resident we would do Call of Duty with the younger Attendings all the time. These new millenial folks with their League of Legends junk don't interest me. I need blood!

If you wanna impress the interviewers, bust out your Switch then and there and challenge theme to a fight in Smash.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Part of the reason my GPA sucks is because I spent hundreds of hours playing Skyrim... I don’t think I’ll be talking about video games in my interviews haha

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Part of the reason my GPA sucks is because I spent hundreds of hours playing Skyrim... I don’t think I’ll be talking about video games in my interviews haha
"So, Cornfed, can you explain the dip in your GPA in 2014?"
"Well, you see, at that time I had taken an arrow to the knee...."

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
I'm hoping I could mention it a little because it's also related to how I love doing some amateur translation as a hobby and comparing translations, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unpopular opinion but I would lean towards not mentioning it. Even though it’s definitely not an accurate stereotype some older interviewers may associate video games with basement dwelling, laziness etc. I mean why even take a chance that mentioning it could lead to an implicit bias against you?

Leisure suit Larry

What? Leisure Suit Larry was awesome!! It was in the same league as games like Police Quest, Space Quest with a little hint of naughty.

GTA? Naw, gets your aggression out by firebombing a fictional L.A. or continuously mowing down a helpless player in multiplayer until they rage quit or breakdown crying. All healthy fun.

If one of my students brought up these games, you can bet we would stop rounds to discuss them!

I wouldn’t do it. It is a professional interview and you are not a high school kid anymore, nothing wrong with enjoying video games, but leave this for something less formal.

I might think a little less of those who enjoy playing bad games like Fortnite and Fallout 76. :yeahright: Highly subjective.

Exactly. Those who say Fallout 76 automatically get a questionable judgement mark.

By this point even older Adcoms will have see several successful students who play video games just don’t make it seem like it’s the only thing you do and you’ll be fine.
Also don’t try to make it a big focus of what you talk about unless you can tie it back to medicine in some way (like you’ve involved in research about the therapeutic use of games)

Also don’t try to make it a big focus of what you talk about unless you can tie it back to medicine in some way (like you’ve involved in research about the therapeutic use of games)

So you're telling me my high number of revives per minute playing as a medic in Battlefield 3 doesn't count???

So you're telling me my high number of revives per minute playing as a medic in Battlefield 3 doesn't count???

You say that as a joke but I bet the number of dumb@ss "medics" that don't revive when there's no danger around outnumber the ones that actually know how to work as a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Its the people like you that kept me playing that game for so long. Although I was almost always #TeamAssaultClass. I still miss playing Operation Metro every now and then.

Its the people like you that kept me playing that game for so long. Although I was almost always #TeamAssaultClass. I still miss playing Operation Metro every now and then.

Those 24/7 Operation Metro Servers were AWESOME! #TeamAggresiveRecon

If you wanna impress the interviewers, bust out your Switch then and there and challenge theme to a fight in Smash.

They'll be even more impressed when I whoop them with my Little Mac

They should be fine with you mentioning video games. Just be sure to spin it into something fruitful if it's an older interviewer. Ie. "This game gave me real world experience by showing me that..."

Lol I interviewed a high school student for my undergrad, and my first impression of him was that he had offered to use Discord as the platform for our virtual call. He had talked about being a semi-pro gamer in the interview. I was amused, but he was a very sweet kid, and it was something he really enjoyed doing. I appreciated that he was genuine about this facet of his life, in addition to the other activities he talked about.

You have to be able to read the room. If it's a 74 year old, then don't mention except in passing, or if they specifically ask for it. You can bring it up if it's a 33 year old, but don't go into detail unless they're really interested. Like everything else, you want to be able to read your interviewer(s) and decide if you should bring it up all, or if you do, how far do you press into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.