MD Video games?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Gamer

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have time to play video games in medical school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I play maybe 2-3 hours a week on average. Sometimes more, often less.

One guy in our class games non-stop during lecture. Don't know how he keeps up.

Reactions: 9 users
I play maybe 2-3 hours a week on average. Sometimes more, often less.

One guy in our class games non-stop during lecture. Don't know how he keeps up.

lol I don't plan on going to lecture so that should save some time..

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I played a lot of video games during preclinical and some during clinical but definitely a lot less

Reactions: 3 users
im playing games right now w/ my laptop next to me

Reactions: 1 users
You can game through out your career. The one show stopper is probably having kids though if you don't marry a stay at home mom who will take care of things while you game.

I Used to play a TON of video games in high school and college. Now all I play are phone games (boom beach, clash royale, etc). They're pretty med student friendly since you can play them anywhere and they don't usually require you to sit down and play for extended periods of time. Some say "that's not real gaming" but oh well :)

This is my first summer off from school and I am hardcore bingeing on video games. PS: The Witcher 3 is awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Full disclosure btw, I got super sucked into an online game in our third block and it wrecked my grades. Didn't realize the damage until it was too late and then I had a really rough time trying to catch up. Be careful if you have an addictive personality.

Reactions: 6 users
It depends. I play 2-3 hours/day on weekdays and 6+ hours on weekends and still did well in my classes. One of my friends play the same amount as me and doesn't do as well in classes. It all comes down to how well you utilize your study time. If you need more time to study, then stop playing that much.

I played a lot during M1-2. Not as much as college and not daily, but a good amount. Started playing less during board prep, minimally during M3 (sometimes none like surgery months), and rarely during M4 until Match Day. Post-graduation I'm back to gaming and reading as much as I want before intern year starts. Enjoy it while you can!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I'm done in like 5 days. I'm going home when classes finish to play Call of Duty 12 hr/day for a week straight.
This is my first summer off from school and I am hardcore bingeing on video games. PS: The Witcher 3 is awesome!

Reactions: 4 users
I bet the gamer doctors all have PC Master Race superiority complex... cuz their budget funds it

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm done in like 5 days. I'm going home when classes finish to play Call of Duty 12 hr/day for a week straight.

I am excited about the the new one...I really didn't like infinite warfare.

Gaming will get beat out of you as responsibility grows and work increases. The days of raiding till 3am 7 days a week ended for me when residency began. As an attending I don't have the time or motivation to play.

Gaming will get beat out of you as responsibility grows and work increases. The days of raiding till 3am 7 days a week ended for me when residency began. As an attending I don't have the time or motivation to play.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO....ok

Yeah intern year doesn't allow me to keep playing the MMO's I enjoy. I'm looking for a game that's a lot less labor intensive or grindy that I can play 1-3 hours a week.

That game's average time to finish is about 100 hours. That's crazy you finished it in 5 days. I am about 30 hours in right now and have just reached novigrad

For the first two years, your free time is very dependent on how well you can memorize and how well you want to do on step.

I played the telltale batman on an afternoon after a test. It was either that or see my friends. No regrets

I played the telltale batman on an afternoon after a test. It was either that or see my friends. No regrets

I played episode 1 and then forgot about it lol

I manage a solid 5-6 hours of Overwatch a week hahahaha

Reactions: 4 users
I find Forza Horizon 3 plus the Pandora app to be an excellent use of 30 mins to an hour.

Yeah intern year doesn't allow me to keep playing the MMO's I enjoy. I'm looking for a game that's a lot less labor intensive or grindy that I can play 1-3 hours a week.

Diablo 3 fills that void

My gaming PC has been consistently crashing during any gaming session over 45 mins so I think I'll just keep it that way during med school.

It would be difficult to play MMO RPG sorta games like WOW.
But I have no problem playing League of Legends occasionally.
It takes your mind off work soemtimes.

There's a moderately active subreddit for gamer docs /r/doctorsthatgame.

Plenty of medical students on there too.

It would be difficult to play MMO RPG sorta games like WOW.
But I have no problem playing League of Legends occasionally.
It takes your mind off work soemtimes.
My friend watches LoL on Twitch to relax, but I don't think he plays much. I've never played any RTS or MMORPGs. Just classic arcade, racing and FPS.

Just spent about 9 hours yesterday playing old school EverQuest. I don't have much time to game regularly anymore in residency, but as I enjoy it quite a bit I still occasionally have binges on "time-intensive" games. Most of the time, though, I play in brief spurts on things that don't require consistent playtime to get through. For that role I just starting working through Pokemon Red for the nostalgia.

Completely agree with @fahimaz7 though... your motivation and desire to game falls as your ability to do other things increases.

I used to quite a bit M1-4. Precipitously trailed off intern year. Now I hardly ever play and couldn't even get interested to keep going. Tried playing COD Black Ops 2 over a vacation week. Meh. Last 30 minutes tops. Maybe once residency is over I'll get back into it, but not holding out a lot of hope for that. Just a different phase in my life now.

As stated before you can definitely game, but the types will change. You can't be playing RPGs and stay current because it's too big of a time sink. Invest in Overwatch or LoL and you'll be fine. Contrary to popular belief you need to take some time for yourself. If you choose to game with your free time then that's on you. There were plenty of nights out drinking in the preclinical years that I could've substituted for gaming.

Just spent about 9 hours yesterday playing old school EverQuest. I don't have much time to game regularly anymore in residency, but as I enjoy it quite a bit I still occasionally have binges on "time-intensive" games. Most of the time, though, I play in brief spurts on things that don't require consistent playtime to get through. For that role I just starting working through Pokemon Red for the nostalgia.

Completely agree with @fahimaz7 though... your motivation and desire to game falls as your ability to do other things increases.

The progression server or free to play

I am excited about the the new one...I really didn't like infinite warfare.

Tell me about it. I've been playing CoD since world at war came out, this is the first year I've switched to battlefield, hopefully the new CoD is better

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Tell me about it. I've been playing CoD since world at war came out, this is the first year I've switched to battlefield, hopefully the new CoD is better

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

My friends and I switched to Battlefield too.

RIP CoD. Remember the nuke.

My friends and I switched to Battlefield too.

RIP CoD. Remember the nuke.

When Battlefield 3 first came out (I was an MS1), a couple of classmates and I were HEAVY into it... we played on a squad together several nights a week. It was awesome.

When Battlefield 3 first came out (I was an MS1), a couple of classmates and I were HEAVY into it... we played on a squad together several nights a week. It was awesome.

I can't remember which one it was but I played a previous Battlefield on the Xbox 360. The one I play now on the Xbox One S is phenomenal. It's just the 3 of us so we can't make a full squad, but hell yeah man it's awesome. We've grown to appreciate Battlefield.

Definitely slowed down on games when I started school. Switched over to stuff where you can hop in for a 10-20 minutes and stop playing. I.e. Hearthstone, heros of the storm, overwatch. On breaks/slower times of the year I found time to work through 15-20 hour games like RE:7.

But good luck playing a game like destiny, world of warcraft, fallout, or the witcher.
Witcher 3 ruined my neuro block.

Reactions: 5 users
Clocked in 6-8 hours/weekday while on rotations after this game came out.. No regrets

I played fallout 4 and the witcher 3..I ended up liking fallout 4 more

I had not played any other witcher game before so the story really didn't stick with me i guess...