Step I Video or tricks for learning CN locations on brainstem?

Started by Nexus5
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nexus5

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any tricks/tips/advice for learning where the CN exit the brain stem?

Seems to be a recurrent weak spot of mine.

Thanks in advance!
 
CN are named (from I to XII) going down from midbrain to pons to medulla. CN XI is an exception, as its nucleus is in the cervical cord. Motor nuclei are medial in the brain stem, sensory are lateral. Although most CN innervate the ipsilateral side, CN IV loops around and innervates the contralateral superior oblique.

Hope that helps a little.