dental13

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental, Dental Student
Villi contains lacteals and capillaries where absorptions take place.

My question is when villus campillaries absorb glucose and amino acids, does it go with active transport or diffusion? Villus lacteals basically absorb any fats to the lymphatic system and this is done by difusion?

I am confused, wikipedia does not have this info.

Mr. Thirsty

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
May 28, 2011
Status
Dentist
Villi contains lacteals and capillaries where absorptions take place.

My question is when villus campillaries absorb glucose and amino acids, does it go with active transport or diffusion? Villus lacteals basically absorb any fats to the lymphatic system and this is done by difusion?

I am confused, wikipedia does not have this info.
Lipids are done by Diffusion. Lipids are made up of the same characteristics as the cell membrane (phospholipids) at both the enterocyte villi and lacteal. Therefore they can pass by diffusion as long as they are in their Fatty acid form and not triacylglycerol.

Glucose is absorbed into the enterocyte villi by active transport (Sodium/glucose cotransporter (SGLT1) which is active transport because then ATP is used to pump out the sodium afterwards), but then glucose is absorbed into the blood stream by passive transport (GLUT 2 transporter which is bidirectional and passive).

Amino acids are active transport into the villi (Sodium dependent and therefore must pump it out after it builds up) and diffusion into the capillary.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
OP
D

dental13

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental, Dental Student
Lipids are done by Diffusion. Lipids are made up of the same characteristics as the cell membrane (phospholipids) at both the enterocyte villi and lacteal. Therefore they can pass by diffusion as long as they are in their Fatty acid form and not triacylglycerol.

Glucose is absorbed into the enterocyte villi by active transport (Sodium/glucose cotransporter (SGLT1) which is active transport because then ATP is used to pump out the sodium afterwards), but then glucose is absorbed into the blood stream by passive transport (GLUT 2 transporter which is bidirectional and passive).

Amino acids are active transport into the villi (Sodium dependent and therefore must pump it out after it builds up) and diffusion into the capillary.

Hope that helps...
wow, thanks :thumbup: