Virginia mason

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im preparing for my interviews for schools and im working on virginia mason.. except i really can't find much information. Their website is not detailed at all (i can't even find the name of the chair of the department). Can someone tell me some stuff (like who is the chair? and strengths) about the school other than the great regional experience?

Stuff like type of patients they see.. # of cases in each area.. or if you know where to find this information..? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Im preparing for my interviews for schools and im working on virginia mason.. except i really can't find much information. Their website is not detailed at all (i can't even find the name of the chair of the department). Can someone tell me some stuff (like who is the chair? and strengths) about the school other than the great regional experience?

Stuff like type of patients they see.. # of cases in each area.. or if you know where to find this information..? thanks

I don't know anything about Virginia mason, but honestly, I prepared for the first two interviews and after that I realized it was a complete waste of time because at every place I went they did a presentation prior to interviews which included everything I would have looked up prior anyway.

They are apparently incredibly strong in regional anesthesia and have really good faculty. Strong program from what I can gather, but you probably won't get the crazier cases you would at a larger academic center.

Members don't see this ad :)
Solid program, good location and good PP contacts. I also liked the hospital and the PD is really big on six sigma and efficency etc

They are apparently incredibly strong in regional anesthesia and have really good faculty. Strong program from what I can gather, but you probably won't get the crazier cases you would at a larger academic center.

How many blocks do residents do during their training? Do they get trained in catheters? What specific types of blocks are being done there. I have been hearing for many years on here that VM is one of the strongest regional programs but thats all I hear so just want know some specifics.

How many blocks do residents do during their training? Do they get trained in catheters? What specific types of blocks are being done there. I have been hearing for many years on here that VM is one of the strongest regional programs but thats all I hear so just want know some specifics.

Haha, these are all valid questions. If I weren't considering canceling my interview, I'd come back and post the answers. That being said, the Mayo PD specifically named Virginia Mason when I off-handedly mentioned regional during our interview. It's not specifics, but at least we have some evidence other than the studentdoc echo chamber.

Current VM resident here. PM me with any questions. Going there is easily the best decision I've made in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in CA-2. I've done 60+ spinals, 20+ thoracic epidurals (yet to do a lumbar, but I do OB next), 40 or so single shots in upper and lower extremities, and I'll have 50+ peripheral catheters at graduation. I'll put a needle wherever I can see a nerve.

I'm in CA-2. I've done 60+ spinals, 20+ thoracic epidurals (yet to do a lumbar, but I do OB next), 40 or so single shots in upper and lower extremities, and I'll have 50+ peripheral catheters at graduation. I'll put a needle wherever I can see a nerve.

Im pretty suprised they let you do that many thoracic epidurals before a single lumbar epidural

Wow they let you guys do thoracic epidurals without even having done a single lumbar epidural?
Yeah, it was about week three of CA-1 year. Day one was spinals and femoral blocks. The regional experience is no joke. We get our ASA 4s as well, they're just not transplant. Mostly big hepatobiloary, thoracic, vascular, and cardiac.

I'm sure VM is a great program. Has a rep as a great regional program. But only 50ish catheters? Seems pretty low. There are other programs with more...

I guess those numbers are ok, but pretty much similar to what you'd see at most programs. I did >400 U/S guided blocks/catheters in 2 months as a CA-3. Easily >500 total in residency. And i was not at a place known for regional. No point in even keeping count of the spinals/epidurals.

I'm sure VM is a great program. Has a rep as a great regional program. But only 50ish catheters? Seems pretty low. There are other programs with more...
Probably is low, it was 90% guessing and 10% "sure, that sounds reasonable."

I guess those numbers are ok, but pretty much similar to what you'd see at most programs. I did >400 U/S guided blocks/catheters in 2 months as a CA-3. Easily >500 total in residency. And i was not at a place known for regional. No point in even keeping count of the spinals/epidurals.
Really? That is a crazy amount.

200 blocks/month is a great number it those numbers stay consistent. That is SOOO MANY post op phone calls and rounding. I bet those were very long days - sorry man. That is 10 blocks/day.

Our regional service is very busy sometimes and we have a big regional team. The paperwork, phone calls, follow ups, hooking up On-Q pumps, fixing beeping epidural pumps, etc took up a ton of time.

I know other hospitals are very busy - but I would find it hard to believe that very many could beat Virginia Mason in the amount of thoracic epidurals they do. They do many - and in my opinion, are very strong in that arena.

And these thoracic epidurals are going in for big cases.

People always talk about VM and regional - but I think that is a small reasons to go there. There are many more important bigger reasons.

First off - It is SEATTLE. It is so fun to live in Seattle. Even if you will never go back, it is worth a 3 or 4 years life hiatus to live in one of the best cities on the planet. That should make everyone want to go there. Second, they get a great anesthesia experience with big cases. Thirdly, the residents are top notch it seemed to me. Fourthly, - it is a private hospital. Everyone is really cool to each other. Really think about how great that is - it is an actual REAL hospital that exists to take care of patients and to make sure all the doctors are well paid and taken care of and professional courtesy actually exists between everyone. This should probably be number one, but it is hard to describe how great this is until you experience a university academic setting contrasted with a private hospital. Fifth - Dave Auyong is there. That guy is the bomb. We went crabbing together one time then had an incredible meal afterwards. Sixth - there are some great faculty and many of them are board examiners. I think I counted 10. That is unusual - even for an academic center. Many of them gave me practice exams when I was preparing for oral boards. Nothing like getting practice exams from actual examiners.

I wasn't a resident there by the way.

Oh forgot to mention - excellent amount of free food.

Really? That is a crazy amount.

200 blocks/month is a great number it those numbers stay consistent. That is SOOO MANY post op phone calls and rounding. I bet those were very long days - sorry man. That is 10 blocks/day.

Our regional service is very busy sometimes and we have a big regional team. The paperwork, phone calls, follow ups, hooking up On-Q pumps, fixing beeping epidural pumps, etc took up a ton of time.

I know other hospitals are very busy - but I would find it hard to believe that very many could beat Virginia Mason in the amount of thoracic epidurals they do. They do many - and in my opinion, are very strong in that arena.

And these thoracic epidurals are going in for big cases.

People always talk about VM and regional - but I think that is a small reasons to go there. There are many more important bigger reasons.

First off - It is SEATTLE. It is so fun to live in Seattle. Even if you will never go back, it is worth a 3 or 4 years life hiatus to live in one of the best cities on the planet. That should make everyone want to go there. Second, they get a great anesthesia experience with big cases. Thirdly, the residents are top notch it seemed to me. Fourthly, - it is a private hospital. Everyone is really cool to each other. Really think about how great that is - it is an actual REAL hospital that exists to take care of patients and to make sure all the doctors are well paid and taken care of and professional courtesy actually exists between everyone. This should probably be number one, but it is hard to describe how great this is until you experience a university academic setting contrasted with a private hospital. Fifth - Dave Auyong is there. That guy is the bomb. We went crabbing together one time then had an incredible meal afterwards. Sixth - there are some great faculty and many of them are board examiners. I think I counted 10. That is unusual - even for an academic center. Many of them gave me practice exams when I was preparing for oral boards. Nothing like getting practice exams from actual examiners.

I wasn't a resident there by the way.

Oh forgot to mention - excellent amount of free food.

did someone say free food? im ranking it #1.

Where do graduates find jobs and fellowships after VM? Any of them go to CA? If my goal is to end up working in CA, would it be better to rank VM higher than the mid-tier places in CA such as USC, UCI, Cedars? I was really impressed with the program and it surprised me how much I liked it when interviewing there.

One thing that troubles me is the class size. (personally i like smaller class) but i keep heraing ppl here say connections is everything in job searching. now if you have a tiny class, then there are fewer grads out there who may be able to hook you up.. vs going to a program with 20+ students..

It's true that you may have a smaller class and alumni grads who can get you a job, but doesn't the strength of the faculty also matter in helping residents get jobs and fellowships?