Virginia tech Carilion Full Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was responding initially to the post indicating that along with rads, cardiology and ophtho had 'terrible' job markets. Hence my posts about how one requires a cardiologist to be in house (or very close) if the hospital does caths.

Lol we're on different wavelengths communication wise so I'm just gonna go over and out for the sake of humanity .

Members don't see this ad.

What in the name of f*ck is this?

This is absurd. I mean, we've already passed absurd I think, but now we're just circling back around to revisit it.
I think it would be cool to say you went to the "College of Henricopolis". Sounds Greek or something.

That's a good way to look at it I suppose. I wish there was some kind of requirement that a new school had to establish a certain number of residency spots, although that would put just a small dent in overload of supply.
I'm more concerned about quality. PDs are very much wary of medical schools with MS-3 joke rotations in which students allegedly do well, but then flounder on internship.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be cool to say you went to the "College of Henricopolis". Sounds Greek or something.
The majority of my family is from Martinsville. I know it well and don't mind it all that much, but someone from some other place is not going to do well for two years there. Much less 4 if they can't get out for rotations. The name and the degree might be the only two good things about it for some people.

I was responding initially to the post indicating that along with rads, cardiology and ophtho had 'terrible' job markets. Hence my posts about how one requires a cardiologist to be in house (or very close) if the hospital does caths.

That is true. But they are still pumping out a lot of cards nonetheless.

I'm more concerned about quality. PDs are very much wary of medical schools with MS-3 joke rotations in which students allegedly do well, but then flounder on internship.

Do you think this is as much of an issue for newer schools that are associated with well-known hospitals that have several residency programs already? I'm sure with any new school's graduates there will be some bias from PDs and trouble getting into the most competitive residency programs, but do you think the issue is alleviated a little if they got their clinical training at a fairly well known hospital?

Medicine isn't immune to economic forces, but it's more sheltered than just about anything else.

What specialty are you referring to? Which specialties have decreased demand, or are over-saturated (other than pathology)?

The specialties that have easier schedules, less severity for mistakes, higher pay, and easier training paths. These specialties are one by one dropping like flies since their heydays 20-30 years ago.

What happens when people in a certain line of work are getting paid tons of money for relatively "easy" work? Yeah, it doesn't last. Path and rads, with gas soon to follow.

There are a number of fields besides these three with very high income per hour worked.
Cards, GI, optho, rad-onc, pain med for starters.
Choosing a field in this list carries a lot of risk if you're choosing it because you want to make a lot of money and live in a sweet location.
The low risk path is to choose a field with more moderate (i.e., stable) income-to-hours ratio. You'll have more options in the future and won't risk having to chose between only a handful of jobs with drastically reduced income potential and limited geographical options compared to when you matched.

Do you think this is as much of an issue for newer schools that are associated with well-known hospitals that have several residency programs already? I'm sure with any new school's graduates there will be some bias from PDs and trouble getting into the most competitive residency programs, but do you think the issue is alleviated a little if they got their clinical training at a fairly well known hospital?
The problem is that newer schools are NOT associated with well-known hospitals. They are largely affiliated with community hospitals (non-university or have an "affiliation") with no residents, no medical students before, and thus haven't honed into structuring clerkships.

MS-1/MS-2 can be done anywhere. That's not the problem. MS-3 is when you hone in your clinical skills, get tons of practice, etc. (in theory).

The problem is that newer schools are NOT associated with well-known hospitals. They are largely affiliated with community hospitals (non-university or have an "affiliation") with no residents, no medical students before, and thus haven't honed into structuring clerkships.

MS-1/MS-2 can be done anywhere. That's not the problem. MS-3 is when you hone in your clinical skills, get tons of practice, etc. (in theory).

Except for VT-Carilion. Carilion certainly isn't "well known" outside of VA for the most part, but they have been rotating students for years and already had residencies. Other schools such as TCMC are much more community based. I think the regulations for accreditation are pretty rigorous but I guess everybody can look at a new schools affiliation of hospitals and wonder sometimes with these newer schools.

Except for VT-Carilion. Carilion certainly isn't "well known" outside of VA for the most part, but they have been rotating students for years and already had residencies. Other schools such as TCMC are much more community based. I think the regulations for accreditation are pretty rigorous but I guess everybody can look at a new schools affiliation of hospitals and wonder sometimes with these newer schools.
And their match lists fit that profile. Look at the spread of specialties they matched AND what institutions they matched at. PDs know what are the "good" and "bad" medical schools, and those with no track record. PDs know that the meaning and quality of MS-3 rotations across medical schools is not the same, even in the same state.

And their match lists fit that profile. Look at the spread of specialties they matched AND what institutions they matched at. PDs know what are the "good" and "bad" medical schools, and those with no track record. PDs know that the meaning and quality of MS-3 rotations across medical schools is not the same, even in the same state.

Again, isn't any new school going to have difficulty with its first match, since PDs will know relatively little about the quality and rigor of the school's clerkships? I imagine it would take time for residents from VTC to spread a positive image.

The specialty spread isn't that great, but still a neurosurgery, anesthesiology, and several rad matches. I think the homogeneity is amplified by the small class size (44 students). As well, VTC is associated with the largest hospital system in an extremely rural region, and I see parallels between VTC and the Brody School of Medicine. Indeed, the dean of VTC served as the dean at Brody, and I believe VTC was inspired, in part, by Brody.

Brody's 2014 match list:
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/bsomstudentaffairs/upload/match-results-2014-for-webpage.pdf

These are two very regional schools, and I think VTC's match lists will only improve from here.

Again, isn't any new school going to have difficulty with its first match, since PDs will know relatively little about the quality and rigor of the school's clerkships? I imagine it would take time for residents from VTC to spread a positive image.

The specialty spread isn't that great, but still a neurosurgery, anesthesiology, and several rad matches. I think the homogeneity is amplified by the small class size (44 students). As well, VTC is associated with the largest hospital system in an extremely rural region, and I see parallels between VTC and the Brody School of Medicine. Indeed, the dean of VTC served as the dean at Brody, and I believe VTC was inspired, in part, by Brody.

Brody's 2014 match list:
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/bsomstudentaffairs/upload/match-results-2014-for-webpage.pdf

These are two very regional schools, and I think VTC's match lists will only improve from here.

I think most people agree with you, we are all just used to picking apart these lists. The benefit VTC has is Carilion is an established hospital with residencies already. I personally think that people are being a little harsh on the many in house residency spots, because Carilion is an excellent system and I'm sure some people wanted to stay there, but that is just my personal opinion. Carilion has the money to make improvement with time as well, one thing many new starts ups don't have. And anything with the name "Virginia Tech" on it will attract some students.

Carilion isn't really well known inside of VA either. We had been sending med students down there for years, but it was by far one of the weakest rotation sites we had. It was considered the 'cush' surgery rotation, despite the surgery residency (or perhaps because of it); the psych rotation was a joke (though not quite as bad as the VA hospital); the peds rotation was just bad (though given that they haven't graduated their first peds class yet, maybe that's better now). The IM rotation was okay, but rarely inspired people to go into IM.

So, I think the suspicion is perfectly reasonable, until the students can prove that their education prepared them well.

Carilion isn't really well known inside of VA either. We had been sending med students down there for years, but it was by far one of the weakest rotation sites we had. It was considered the 'cush' surgery rotation, despite the surgery residency (or perhaps because of it); the psych rotation was a joke (though not quite as bad as the VA hospital); the peds rotation was just bad (though given that they haven't graduated their first peds class yet, maybe that's better now). The IM rotation was okay, but rarely inspired people to go into IM.

So, I think the suspicion is perfectly reasonable, until the students can prove that their education prepared them well.

You sound like you're affiliated with UVA or something. Just kidding just kidding. You sure know much more than I do now or will for years to come. It will be interesting to see how the VTC programs progress over the next years. I'm sure VTC residencies are not up to standards with those of hospitals in the other MD residencies that have been around much longer in Virginia.

I guess I'm more biased toward Southwestern VA where Carilion Owns everything and it's all you hear about. Do you know anything about their Neurosurgery Program? I don't want to go into Neurosurgery but the Chair of Neurosurgery lectured us at VCOM and he was........."interesting" I'll say.

Are you talking about for competitive residencies, specific programs or both? I remember reading how even scoring the national Step 1 average will give you a lot of opportunities when it comes to matching, but I'm curious if thats what you've seen or if its true.

You sound like you're affiliated with UVA or something. Just kidding just kidding. You sure know much more than I do now or will for years to come. It will be interesting to see how the VTC programs progress over the next years. I'm sure VTC residencies are not up to standards with those of hospitals in the other MD residencies that have been around much longer in Virginia.

I guess I'm more biased toward Southwestern VA where Carilion Owns everything and it's all you hear about. Do you know anything about their Neurosurgery Program? I don't want to go into Neurosurgery but the Chair of Neurosurgery lectured us at VCOM and he was........."interesting" I'll say.

How'd you guess that? :) My class was the last to rotate through Carilion, thanks to the VTC students (probably), so you won't hear UVA people down there anymore.

I know nothing about their Neurosurg program. Was doing my best to avoid any sort of surgery when I could.

How'd you guess that? :) My class was the last to rotate through Carilion, thanks to the VTC students (probably), so you won't hear UVA people down there anymore.

I know nothing about their Neurosurg program. Was doing my best to avoid any sort of surgery when I could.

I spent 5 years at WVU, now I live in Blacksburg and go To VCOM, Family in Roanoke VA, Family members that went to UVA and JMU..... I have a secrete ability to differentiate between people of all the schools.

That's a shame that the great UVA students won't be at VTC anymore. I'm sure UVA has their hospitals but some people may have wanted to go near roanoke for whatever reason. I guess that was only inevitable though once VT through money at Carilion though.

What can I do, as a student at VTC, to ensure that I match competitively?

Slam Step 1, put in solid research, and destroy some away rotations?

Are you talking about for competitive residencies, specific programs or both? I remember reading how even scoring the national Step 1 average will give you a lot of opportunities when it comes to matching, but I'm curious if thats what you've seen or if its true.
What can I do, as a student at VTC, to ensure that I match competitively?

Slam Step 1, put in solid research, and destroy some away rotations?

That NeuroScience Research Institute they have there at Carilion is insane. The speakers they bring in for a place that is pretty far from a University campus is impressive. I wish it was closer to Blacksburg. I'm sure there will be plenty of Research with that if you are interested.