Virtual Scribing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinzlvr1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Now that a lot of scribing places and clinical volunteering settings are closed due to COVID-19, there are openings for virtual scribing positions. Would these virtual scribing positions be considered as clinical experience and would they be helpful for medical school applications? I have never been a virtual scribe and I just started in person scribing a few months ago.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I wouldn't call it a clinical experience. The great thing about scribing is that you're basically following the doc around and get to see the clinical setting including procedures and conversations with patients. With virtual scribing it's pretty much just "write an H&P, dispo" (I'm assuming ER). It's still helpful in that you gain experience working with an EMR and writing notes, and I would do it if you didn't have much else going on, but at least to me it doesn't count as clinical anymore where in person scribing would.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally I wouldn't call it a clinical experience. The great thing about scribing is that you're basically following the doc around and get to see the clinical setting including procedures and conversations with patients. With virtual scribing it's pretty much just "write an H&P, dispo" (I'm assuming ER). It's still helpful in that you gain experience working with an EMR and writing notes, and I would do it if you didn't have much else going on, but at least to me it doesn't count as clinical anymore where in person scribing would.
Agree with everything said. I wouldn’t classify it as clinical experience. Although, schools might be lenient because of the pandemic?

Reactions: 1 user
Now that a lot of scribing places and clinical volunteering settings are closed due to COVID-19, there are openings for virtual scribing positions. Would these virtual scribing positions be considered as clinical experience and would they be helpful for medical school applications?
For med school application purposes, an active "Clinical Experience" is one where you interact with current patients. Distance scribing prevents that.

Reactions: 1 users