VISA's & Sponsorship. Canadian born, US raised

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luder

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So as the title suggests, I'm desperately looking for some help in terms of sponsorship for work in the US. I'm a Canadian citizen, but I've earned both my undergraduate and soon to be Pharm.D here in the US. The trouble now is obviously finding someone/company who is willing to sponsor me (in this economy). I know that there is an older thread about sponshorship/work visa's but I was hoping there was some new, updated information. Or maybe even hear from somebody who's been in a similar situation and how everything worked out.

If I have to, I would consider moving back to Canada. But from what I've been told, that would involve a pay-cut and multiple exams for licensure (not yet clear about how licensure would work).

(I'm located in Oregon).

Thanks! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

So as the title suggests, I'm desperately looking for some help in terms of sponsorship for work in the US. I'm a Canadian citizen, but I've earned both my undergraduate and soon to be Pharm.D here in the US. The trouble now is obviously finding someone/company who is willing to sponsor me (in this economy). I know that there is an older thread about sponshorship/work visa's but I was hoping there was some new, updated information. Or maybe even hear from somebody who's been in a similar situation and how everything worked out.

If I have to, I would consider moving back to Canada. But from what I've been told, that would involve a pay-cut and multiple exams for licensure (not yet clear about how licensure would work).

(I'm located in Oregon).

Thanks! :xf:

Are you currently interning?
Do you have an American partner? Planning to marry?

I would expect that you will have to take a job in a rural part of the country for a chain in order to get sponsored. I would also do whatever it takes to become a citizen if you want a chance a large, urban market (without getting citizenship due to marriage).

Marriage would be the best/fastest way, but unfortunately I'm not ready to get married.

Currently interning on rotations, not for pay. I do expect having to work somewhere in the boondocks for employment by a major chain, but at the same time I'm hesitant to sign my life away for 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wth dude... canadian has TN1 visa which is way less easier to apply to and a less costly visa compare to that of H1b. Unlimited renewals also... it beats h1b anyday. Look it up.. most employers will take tn1 anyday than h1b applicants

Marriage would be the best/fastest way, but unfortunately I'm not ready to get married.

Currently interning on rotations, not for pay. I do expect having to work somewhere in the boondocks for employment by a major chain, but at the same time I'm hesitant to sign my life away for 2 years.

Buddy you are not an American citizen. If you want to stay here indefinitely this what you are going to have to do to earn a Green Card.

And I would look into that TN1 Visa; seems much easier that the HB1 Visa since you are Canadian.

What's so wrong with Canada anyway? I've enjoyed it the times I've went there. Very expensive though.

Let's see... non-American.. don't want to take a pay cut... don't want to move to a small city.. don't want to get married .. but wants a US company to sponsor him/her.

Right... send me your resume. I'll sponsor you..

I mean sponsor your deportation maybe..:smuggrin: