Vision restored for 24 hours in one eye, how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtheInsomniac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suffer myopia to the extent where my hand goes blurry at an arm's length, and have been using corrective lenses since age 8. I've consulted multiple friends in the medical field & all were left pretty dumbfounded by this occurrence, but not as much as I was when vision in my left eye had miraculously returned for a day, allowing me to read small text from quite a distance.

This seemed to be caused by stress, as I had been overworking, staring at my laptop screen overnight, using caffeine, THC (admittedly), & sustenance to fuel my all-nighter, which lasted until the following night. My diet is vegetarian & consists of eggs, vegetables, nuts & legumes, & fruit. On this night/morning particularly I had been consuming eggs, beets, carrots, & of course coffee. This only occurred in the one eye and, as I expected/feared, reset subsequent to the following night's rest.

I thoroughly enjoyed this ability that had been lost since youth, but naturally, became preoccupied with what this could suggest. Under these set of circumstances I was allowed to see with near perfect vision, could I perhaps regain it through other means? What was the cause of myopia to begin with?

My vision loss was rather sudden in retrospect. Although an unpopular theory, I was exposed to parasites (by water or food) at the time in a South America, & suffered many other symptoms. They can inhabit every area of the body via the bloodstream, & can cause blindness by intraocular localization, one in particular called mansonella perstans (also known as "floaters"). It also may be important to note my eyes are large, almost appearing swollen. Is it possible this concoction of circumstance upset their balance enough to restore my vision?

My research has mostly come up empty in regards to an event like this, perhaps I understand too little of optometry to correctly investigate, please help!

Members don't see this ad.

transient refractive shift can be caused by many different things. Some are relatively benign, and some are not. It is impossible for anybody (including you) to know why it happened in your case without seeing a doctor. Go see a doctor.

Im sorry, I should have mentioned this happened over a year ago, without even the slightest reoccurrence. I'm here seeking insight, for the cause seems to have long past.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to fruitlessly spend money on pursuing answers in the developing country where I reside. Nothing but horror stories here. They staple parts where they don't belong, or purposely put you under the knife to charge thousands (personal experience, Western doctors were baffled when recounted these events). A saddening truth is they seek to take advantage of foreigners.

Trust is low, as it would seem the threat of this issue as well. If it were of great concern I would fly home immediately. In the meantime, thank you for the correct terminology to describe the incident! Any further thoughts are greatly appreciated, if even to provoke healthy discussion.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im sorry, I should have mentioned this happened over a year ago, without even the slightest reoccurrence. I'm here seeking insight, for the cause seems to have long past.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to fruitlessly spend money on pursuing answers in the developing country where I reside. Nothing but horror stories here. They staple parts where they don't belong, or purposely put you under the knife to charge thousands (personal experience, Western doctors were baffled when recounted these events). A saddening truth is they seek to take advantage of foreigners.

Trust is low, as it would seem the threat of this issue as well. If it were of great concern I would fly home immediately. In the meantime, thank you for the correct terminology to describe the incident! Any further thoughts are greatly appreciated, if even to provoke healthy discussion.

Cheers!

Although the incident was some time ago, you are still seeking professional commentary on your personal health. That isn't something that this community is able to provide. There is a risk to you of receiving false or misleading information due to the limitations of this medium, and then there is the risk to the forum of being disrupted from its intended purposes.

Although my asking is akin to asking for thoughts from a friend, I understand the forum policy. Moreso I'm merely curious if the parasite possibility is a topic within the optometrist community, as it seems to be largely ignored by every other medical scientist. As a traveler since a young age, this is a concern.

I'm not one to chase down solutions offered on a whim. I figured forums, in their nature, were suitable for open discussion. If you have another community to recommend me to, I can migrate this thread if need be. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm as fascinated as you by your event and wish I knew where you could get good answers.

Sadly, the best answer would come from a professional in person. Someone who could examine you.

Having the correct term to describe the event should mean that you can look into professional literature to see if anything similar has been reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.