Vision Science Graduate School (MS/PhD) - The Best Kept Secret in Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I thought I'd post a little commentary on this seemingly neglected area.

Residencies are a 1-year paid (stipended) position that trains you to be an advanced clinician in an optometric specialty.

Might be a good idea for some.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The following schools should have residencies:

Univ Alabama at Birmingham

UC Berkeley

Indiana University

University of Houston

Ohio State Univ

State University of New York

Last edited:
I think you have to be pretty self-directed if you want to succeed in residency.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here have fellowship with the AAO?

Last edited:
Duplicate post.

Last edited:
This Sept, I'm resuming my job in an academic environment in a foreign country, which is the position I had prior to my enrollment in the PhD program.

I know that this isn't the point of this thread but do you mind expanding on your overseas experience? Country? Are you fluent in a second language or teaching in English? In my overseas experience and the position I'm considering now pay was/is limited making it difficult for a US trained (you're Canadian trained though) OD to meet student loan payments - any difficulty for you? How did you learn of your position? What types of courses are you expected to teach? Large number of faculty or are you on your own?

I'd find a discussion on North American OD's teaching overseas to be interesting. As nations begin to recognize the importance of refractive care (especially in light of Vision 2020) a need for well trained optometrists to teach optometry/mid-level eye care personnel will arise. I would hope, however, that these foreign educators would be phased out as cadres of new local eye care personnel take over.

Thanks in advance.

I know that this isn't the point of this thread but do you mind expanding on your experience?

I posted some brief thoughts about my job in the pre-opt forum. Go have a look.

Last edited:
Questions?

Last edited: